Maedros_2931

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2009
Hello there!i am a not so proud owner of an "OCZ Gold Low-Voltage 3GB DDR3-1600 Ram Kit (PC3-12800, 8-8-8-24, Triple Channel, OCZ3G1600LV3GK)". I am not quite familiar with memory o.c but according to pc store these memories are pre-set on a 1600mhz sdram frequency. I run cpu-z and it said that my memory is running at 800mhz. I went on bios and set memory frequency at 1600mhz manually. I rebooted my pc and run cpu-z but the frequency is still at 800mhz :/ please help... Oh and by the way i am runnning windows 7 -64bit ultimate.

Maedros_2931

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2009
Does memset do the same? Ok then,if we assume that my memories are running on 1600mhz, how come and windows 7 experience index gives a low 5.9 rating to my ram, (memory operations per second). This ram seems to bottleneck my whole pc. does this have anything to do with timings?do u suggest me to lower sdram frequency and also decrease access timings?i am not quite good with memory overclocking, i know nothing on voltage and timings so if you can suggest me a tutorial or point me to a forum thread, you will be most welcome!thanks for your time guys.

The ratings in Win 7 are *not* based on the speed of your RAM.

Let me say that again:

The ratings in Win 7 are *not* based on the speed of your RAM.

So put the idea out of your head, please.

They are based on the throughput of the entire subsection, with weighting based on how much memory you have installed. Also, 5.9 is the maximum score available in Vista - so it's not "slow" by any means. Further, this number is nowhere near an actual benchmark. Rather it's a function of how Microsoft feel the OS will perform for you in typical usage.

My recommendation is to not worry about it, since it's not an easily quantifiable/reliable indicator. If you don't like the score, the easiest way to increase it is to add more.

Maedros_2931

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2009
ok then!thank u all guys for the answer you fully covered me. I don't care about microsoft scoring at all. I just thought it was a true benchmark that showed my memory was underachieving. Thanks a lot guys. Keep up the good work