Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Upgrade now or in the future?

Tags:
Last response: in CPUs
September 1, 2009 3:51:47 AM

So, iv had this 5000be at 3ghz most of the time, and at 3250mhz the rest of the time. Coming to 2years now. On asus m3a32 wifi.

Do i upgrade now? Or will there be more am2/am2+ cpu's coming out in the future?

If you think to upgrade now, then what is the best cpu compatible for my board?

Is it the of the line for am2/am2+?

Fyi, 4gb ocz ram, and i mainly game, looking forward to amd 5series cards, crysis, rage, cod4mw2, all pc cod series, css, are all the games i currently play or plan to.

Once i choose to upgrade cpu, i dont think i will ever again, it will be more of upgrading the graphics card.

More about : upgrade future

a b à CPUs
September 1, 2009 4:09:07 AM

All new AMD CPUs are gonna be AM3. AM3 CPUs will work with AM2/AM2+ boards if said board has the proper BIOS support. You have to check the Asus website to see what your board can support. A quick check over on the Asus support page reveals that your board can support just about all the new AM3 CPUs.

If you have the money, go with a Phenom II 955BE. The current stepping isn't going to do too much better. While you may be tempted to wait for AMDs next set of CPUs based on bulldozer, those CPUs will be AM3 only and won't work with AM2/AM2+ boards because they won't have a DDR2 controller, rather supporting DDR3 only.
m
l

Best solution

a b à CPUs
September 1, 2009 6:59:15 AM

I agree with megamanx00 on the Phenom II 955 BE although your board can support the slightly faster Phenom II 965 BE.Be sure to update your BIOS first before switching CPU's though with the new one (BIOS 1705 on the ASUS website) needed to support the 955 or 965..I have the M3A32 MVP Deluxe board without that Wifi Edition.I'll tell you that after updating the BIOS I initially had a BSOD screen with an error code.Afterwards I just restarted the PC and there was no (BSOD screen) problem but there were some Windows updates for it.
I haven't switched the CPU yet to the 955 BE but I do have it in my possession.I am going to get another 955 BE for an AM3 790FX board that got recently for another build.

I also agree with Megamanx00 that it seems doubtful that your and my motherboard will support any faster CPU in the future.
Related resources
September 1, 2009 5:07:38 PM

*** DAMN, I meant to select megamanx00's post as the best answer, ****

BTW
Thanks guys, soon as the funds are ready, been on a spending spree recently day 1 - spent around £120, day 2 around £100, day 3 about the same, so kinda strapped for cash atm, maybe next pay slip huh ;D

! final check, the current AM3 CPU's like the 955 (ofc I plan to OC), will fit in my board?

PS. I did the upgrade to 1705 some time ago, never had a prob with updating via windows ( i know, i know, I said I know its not recommended), but you'l be glad to know it Asus update app wouldnt load its app properly so I was forced to update during post screen.
m
l
a b à CPUs
September 1, 2009 11:06:15 PM

Boxa786 said:
*** DAMN, I meant to select megamanx00's post as the best answer, ****

BTW
Thanks guys, soon as the funds are ready, been on a spending spree recently day 1 - spent around £120, day 2 around £100, day 3 about the same, so kinda strapped for cash atm, maybe next pay slip huh ;D

! final check, the current AM3 CPU's like the 955 (ofc I plan to OC), will fit in my board?

PS. I did the upgrade to 1705 some time ago, never had a prob with updating via windows ( i know, i know, I said I know its not recommended), but you'l be glad to know it Asus update app wouldnt load its app properly so I was forced to update during post screen.

Of course the AM3 Phenom II 955 will fit in your AM2+ based 790FX motherboard and since there is a bios update for it,it's supported.If it didn't work ASUS wouldn't have made an updated BIOS for it.

m
l
September 1, 2009 11:49:26 PM

Quote:
I'd hold off. Especially with i5 around the corner. Theres gonna be i5's under $200 and mobo's at $100, of course they will probably be a little higher at launch, but theres supposed to be several mobo's around $105.

Sorry but I dont see any point in upgrading my motherboard, cpu, ram just for the sake of the latest tech, Intel i5.

and tbh Iv had Intel, but since learning how bad they are as a company, stomping on AMD, its really put be off Intel for life, so its AMD/ATI 4 Life for me.
m
l
!