Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Micro ATX build. Final suggestions?

Tags:
  • New Build
  • Systems
  • Product
Last response: in Systems
Share
May 28, 2009 3:19:13 AM

Hey,
Last new thread for me, I have come to a decision on what I want. Heres what I have in my cart on newegg for a good HTPC setup.

CASE: Antec P180 mini - $99.99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
CPU: AMD x3 720BE - Already have
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
MOBO: BIOSTAR TA790GX XE AM2+/AM2 AMD 790GX HDMI Micro ATX
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
RAM: G.Skill PI Black 4GB(2X2GB) - Already have
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
HDD: WD Caviar Black 640GB - Already have
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
HS: Xigmatek Dark Knight - Already have
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
TC: Tuniq TX-2 Compound - $4.99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
DVD: LG 22X Black - Already have
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
PSU: OCZ ModXStream Pro OCZ500MXSP 500W $69.99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
CASE FANS: Antec 761345-75120-9 120mm Case Fan
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
TV Tuner: AVerMedia AVerTV Combo $95.99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Total: $370 with shipping. Added a TV Tuner card so I can watch TV as well, thus eliminating the need for a tv in my room also. Big thanks to gkay09 on all of this.

More about : micro atx build final suggestions

May 28, 2009 3:26:04 AM

Looks good! The one thing I would change is the thermal compound. Swap for some Arctic Silver 5, and I bid you happy building!
May 28, 2009 3:48:26 AM

The_Prophecy said:
Looks good! The one thing I would change is the thermal compound. Swap for some Arctic Silver 5, and I bid you happy building!


So the PSU is enough? And I may change back to that Artic Silver 5, some other poster told me to switch to the Tuniq and it was cheaper.
May 28, 2009 4:22:21 AM

Actually the more I think about it, is that PSU actually overkill?
Nevermind, it seems to be just right. Final build in first post, will be buying in a few days!
May 28, 2009 6:25:21 AM

You can get this graphics card...It has an integrated HDMI port and is very powerful than that 9600GT...and is about $90...
May 28, 2009 8:12:14 AM

gkay09 you are awesome, with your suggestions here is my revised build: look at first post
May 28, 2009 8:29:04 AM

gkay09 said:
But still why do I feel you can do better with an AMD onboard GPU with the X3...
The onboard GPU on the AMD boards are powerful enough to play high-def content so you can drop the graphics card...
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?Ite...


Oh also in the last thread that you helped me with I was asking about a CPU cooler. All of those are good choices but the main problem still is I believe they will still block the RAM slots. The height does not matter since the Antec p180 mini is pretty wide.


As you can see in the pic the slots are very close. What is a good skinny CPU cooler? Height does not matter.
Do you think maybe this would work?: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
May 28, 2009 8:43:49 AM

Well there is a big problem and my bad I dint notice...
The Biostar board is a ATX board but the p180mini is only microATX compatible...
So you would have to change the mobo...
This is a very good 780G mobo with 128MB onboard vRAM
And has $10 combo with that OCZ PSU...
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?Ite...

But if you want to stick with that X3 720 and Biostar combo, then you can take a look at this case...though not as attractive as the mini, but is a ATX Mini tower...
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
May 28, 2009 8:49:34 AM

Good choice with tha TA790GX XE :p  A known unlocker of Phenom 2 X3s - depending on the luck of the draw o cos hehe

Info
Quote:
Combo's "said" to work".
CPU: 0904CPMW MoBo: Asrock AOD790GX/128MB --> Success
CPU: 0904EPMW MoBo: Biostar 790GX XE --> Success
CPU: 0904BPMW MoBo: Biostar TA790GX 128M --> Success
CPU: 0904CPMW MoBo: Gigabyte MA790GP-DS4H --> Success
CPU: 0904CPCW MoBo: Biostar TA790A GX2 --> Success
CPU: 0904EPMW MoBo: Asus M3A78-T --> Failure
CPU: 0904CPMW MoBo: Asus M3A78-T --> Failure
CPU: 0904CPCW MoBo: Jetway HA07 --> Failure

May 28, 2009 8:50:48 AM



Yeah I looked at all those and I think the closest one would have to be the xigmatek
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
I think the ram slots will still get in the way though. What do you think? Because doesn't the fan have to be installed on the ram side anyway since it will be blowing air out of the back of the case?
May 28, 2009 8:52:40 AM

batuchka said:
Good choice with tha TA790GX XE :p  A known unlocker of Phenom 2 X3s - depending on the luck of the draw o cos hehe

Info
Quote:
Combo's "said" to work".
CPU: 0904CPMW MoBo: Asrock AOD790GX/128MB --> Success
CPU: 0904EPMW MoBo: Biostar 790GX XE --> Success
CPU: 0904BPMW MoBo: Biostar TA790GX 128M --> Success
CPU: 0904CPMW MoBo: Gigabyte MA790GP-DS4H --> Success
CPU: 0904CPCW MoBo: Biostar TA790A GX2 --> Success
CPU: 0904EPMW MoBo: Asus M3A78-T --> Failure
CPU: 0904CPMW MoBo: Asus M3A78-T --> Failure
CPU: 0904CPCW MoBo: Jetway HA07 --> Failure


sweet i may just get lucky then. :D 
May 28, 2009 8:52:57 AM

Check my above post...
May 28, 2009 8:56:46 AM

gkay09 said:
Well there is a big problem and my bad I dint notice...
The Biostar board is a ATX board but the p180mini is only microATX compatible...
So you would have to change the mobo...
This is a very good 780G mobo with 128MB onboard vRAM
And has $10 combo with that OCZ PSU...
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?Ite...

But if you want to stick with that X3 720 and Biostar combo, then you can take a look at this case...though not as attractive as the mini, but is a ATX Mini tower...
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...


It's all good I noticed it right when I clicked the link and I just used your advice on the HD3300 integrated graphics and found a nice micro ATX board with them.
May 28, 2009 8:57:19 AM

waynec121 said:
Yeah I looked at all those and I think the closest one would have to be the xigmatek
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
I think the ram slots will still get in the way though. What do you think? Because doesn't the fan have to be installed on the ram side anyway since it will be blowing air out of the back of the case?

Actually there are more than one way of placing the CPU cooler...So if you are able to place the CPU cooler fan side or the opposite side, facing the RAM, then I think it might not block the RAM...
check this thread
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/248124-29-cooler-faci...
May 28, 2009 8:59:02 AM

waynec121 said:
It's all good I noticed it right when I clicked the link and I just used your advice on the HD3300 integrated graphics and found a nice micro ATX board with them.

Then it is fine... ;) 
May 28, 2009 9:00:14 AM

gkay09 said:
Check my above post...


Yeah I was replying to one of the coolers you posted. Upon further investigating the Dark Knight cooler I already have will work but I will have to place the 2 sticks of ram in the 2 slots farthest away from the cpu. Do you think that will work and not sacrifice performance of the RAM by not being in slots 1 and 2 but slots 3 and 4? Sorry if that is confusing.
May 28, 2009 9:41:12 AM

That is my final question ^
Any help before this thread disappears would be awesome lol and also so i can get some sleep. Thanks!
May 28, 2009 10:43:08 AM

Well it would affect the performance as for the RAMs to run in dual channel mode, they would generally have to be placed in the slots 1 and 3...
And seeing from the pics in the thread I had posted, the CPU cooler doesn't seem to interfere with the RAM...
And which mobo are you planning for ? and how much space is there between the RAM slots and the CPU socket...
May 28, 2009 10:44:46 AM

update: Just ordered the p180 mini, Micro ATX mobo, thermal compound and an extra case fan!!
I have decided just to use all my other existing parts so alls I need to sell now is the Antec p182 case and mobo!
!