Sign in with
Your question

To use Raid 0 or just a single SSD...

Last response: in Storage
January 29, 2011 2:07:02 PM

Hi... :hello:  I am making a new computer using XP Pro x32 retail boxed...I intend to use a single OCZ Vertex 128GB SSD sataII@3GB/s,because it has a utility called garbage collection that cleans your SSD's up and keeps them running close to new for XP Pro x32 systems (also for x32/x64 Vista)...The problem is that I am thinking of whether to use 2 60GB Corsair Force Series SSD's or even 4 in Raid 0 instead...The trouble is I can not find out how much loss of performance in percentage wise these drives will have due to being in a dirty state in Raid 0...I know that in Raid 0 I can not use Trim which is only for Windows 7 or the OCZ's Vertex 128GB SSD either with it's own utility called garbage collection,I have read that Raid 0 does not support these two cleaning up utilities... :pt1cable:  Does any body know of the percentage loss of performance that Raid 0 x 2 or even x 4 has due being dirty...Also whether I should consider raid 0 or just stay single SSD... :??:  Also thank you to all who reply... :) 

More about : raid single ssd

a b G Storage
January 29, 2011 3:14:26 PM

Raid with SSD's should be avoided due to the degradation of the drives over time. Your access times will be the same with and without raid, and only streaming read / writes can improve. Toms did a review a month or more ago comparing two slower raids to a new samsung SSD, and the results favored the larger faster SSD rather than a two or four drive SSD raid.
m
l
January 29, 2011 3:37:36 PM

someone19 said:
Raid with SSD's should be avoided due to the degradation of the drives over time. Your access times will be the same with and without raid, and only streaming read / writes can improve. Toms did a review a month or more ago comparing two slower raids to a new samsung SSD, and the results favored the larger faster SSD rather than a two or four drive SSD raid.

Hi and thank you for your reply...I have read that article that you mentioned,but thank you for the first few sentences... :) 
m
l
!