To use Raid 0 or just a single SSD...

Hi... :hello: I am making a new computer using XP Pro x32 retail boxed...I intend to use a single OCZ Vertex 128GB SSD sataII@3GB/s,because it has a utility called garbage collection that cleans your SSD's up and keeps them running close to new for XP Pro x32 systems (also for x32/x64 Vista)...The problem is that I am thinking of whether to use 2 60GB Corsair Force Series SSD's or even 4 in Raid 0 instead...The trouble is I can not find out how much loss of performance in percentage wise these drives will have due to being in a dirty state in Raid 0...I know that in Raid 0 I can not use Trim which is only for Windows 7 or the OCZ's Vertex 128GB SSD either with it's own utility called garbage collection,I have read that Raid 0 does not support these two cleaning up utilities... :pt1cable: Does any body know of the percentage loss of performance that Raid 0 x 2 or even x 4 has due being dirty...Also whether I should consider raid 0 or just stay single SSD... :??: Also thank you to all who reply... :)
2 answers Last reply
More about raid single
  1. Raid with SSD's should be avoided due to the degradation of the drives over time. Your access times will be the same with and without raid, and only streaming read / writes can improve. Toms did a review a month or more ago comparing two slower raids to a new samsung SSD, and the results favored the larger faster SSD rather than a two or four drive SSD raid.
  2. someone19 said:
    Raid with SSD's should be avoided due to the degradation of the drives over time. Your access times will be the same with and without raid, and only streaming read / writes can improve. Toms did a review a month or more ago comparing two slower raids to a new samsung SSD, and the results favored the larger faster SSD rather than a two or four drive SSD raid.

Hi and thank you for your reply...I have read that article that you mentioned,but thank you for the first few sentences... :)
Ask a new question

Read More

SSD NAS / RAID Storage