Need an opinion on upgrading my Motherboard

stylez777

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2009
I think I narrowed down my choice to 2 boards:

ASUS M4A79XTD

or

GIGABYTE GA-M790X-UD4P

I am going to pop my current Athlon 64 x2 6400+ CPU into it which is a socket AM2 (may do a tad bit of OC) and use my current DDR2 800 ram. (maybe in the future i'd drop a quad core phenom in but right now don't think i need it) I'm dropping in a new Video card but i'm probably never going to use 2 video cards in crossfire.

both of these look like good boards does anyone have an opinion (or personaly experience) if one is better then the other?

linuxhero27

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2009
Gigabyte would be my choice as well.

DDR3 isn't really any faster than DDR2 unless you spend an extra pretty penny to get RAM with better timings.

I've had 1 ASUS board quit on me, and my Gigabyte board from 2005 is still moving.

stylez777

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2009
I actually ordered the ASUS board last night while i was tired not really checking that is was AM3 only. My own fault for not looking closer. Just gonna order up some DDR3. thanks for the opinions though, that Giga board did look sweet

^ Frankly even the ASUS is not that bad either...Both ASUS and Gigabyte are the best for mobos...So going with either would not be a problem...but as you previously had DDR2 RAM, that Gigabyte would have been the obvious choice...but anyways its fine...