How to increase my internet speed

Status
Not open for further replies.

faridley

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2009
Hello to all,

i just signed up for comcast internet the 15mbps service and when i went ot dslreports.com it's telling me that my download speed is topping out at about 3mbps. does anybody have any ideas how to increase my speed is my hardware in the computer.

processor type: intel pentium 4 1.6GHZ Ram 512 MB. Its a dell optiplex 4400 if that helps and yes it's an old computer but a friend gave it to me for free.

so is it the computer that is limiting my speed or something else and if it is, are there any suggestions as far as upgrades that will help me. i am on a tight budget so something that is economical but good.

thanks in advance for all the help.

Solution

-Okay your computer hardware has no effect on internet speed at all...

lyleb

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2009
Your computer should not be limiting the speed.
What hardware is in your network? Modem and router?
Are you connected wired or wirelessly?

Try http://www.speedtest.net/

---------------------------------------

Your internet speed depends of your ISP, not from youR CP.....so the best and more fast solution to increase you speed internet is that you pay more to your ISP.....if you don't want, it's possible do this, but you need a person that knows the password of the servers and gateways of your ISP...so..is better that you pay.

faridley

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2009

I have a direct connection to the modem, however i do have a router (i used it up until my e machines laptop failed to boot, separate issue:) would that help???

lyleb

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2009
No, a router would not help the speed issue.

You should call Comcast and have them check the signal at the modem.
Also they should check the modem.

Or could be a cable wiring issue.

Poor cable connections inside the house.

Wrong type of cable used inside the house.

Too many, bad or incorrect splitters (connectors) used in the cable causing the signal to drop.

blackhawk1928

Distinguished

-Okay your computer hardware has no effect on internet speed at all, unless your processor is like 1MB clock speed and you have 1KB of ram or something.
-What effects your internet speed is your ISP (Internet service provider). Or in your case comcast. The more you pay, the higher your download speed is. Nothing in your house effects your internet speed, not your PC, not your router, or anything. If you aren't getting full bandwidth, talk to comcast, its their problem.
-Also not all speed test websites are accurate. Try these two
www.speakeasy.net
www.speedtest.net

-Best of luck

Solution
G

wow ..Is this free of cost?

Status
Not open for further replies.