Q9300 overclocking problem

shifty89

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2010
HI,

Decided today i wanted to get a bit of extra juice out of my processor so i wouldnt have to upgrade. I have read a few overclocking guides and set about the task. In my mobo bios i changed my memory settings to unlinked, took my fsb from 1333 to 1600 and set the vcore to 1.62 to account for the higher speed. However when i reboot applying the changes i get an error message just after my computer posts which reads:

the file is possibly corrupt the file header checksum does not match the computed checksum

I cannot proceed past this and have to reset to default config in bios so i can boot again. I have tried lowering the fsb and setting a stock vcore value but it return the same error. What am i doing wrong? i would appreciate the help as i would like to get this chip to 3ghz

mobo : p5nd asus
cpu : Q9300 45nm
mem: OCZ gold 1066mhz

shifty89

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2010
Just to point out that I have gone through the overclocking guide for C2Q's and i just cant figure out the problem. My additional systems specs if anyone is interested:

Zalman zf93 cooling fan
GTX 480 Soc - gigabyte

I am trying to get a 3Ghz overclock so i have set my fsb to 1600, thats then quartered to give me my 400mhz level. This then multiplied by the cpu's multiplier of 7.5 gives me 3000mhz or 3Ghz.

my Vcore which is normally 1.5 has been set to 1.625 to account for higher frequencys and my memory has been set to unlinked.

arthurh

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2002
These particular quads can be a bit finicky to OC.

The first thing you should do is know the rated Vc and max temp your CPU will tolerate.

Here is a LINK that gives those specs.

When you OC you should only change ONE setting in the BIOS at a time or you will not know which setting you did caused you a problem.

If your CPU is still working, try to find the lowest Vc it will work with @ stock FSB and still be stable. I use Prime 95, Core Temp and CPU-Z with Task MNG open to make sure all my cores are truely working.

Run small ftts in Prime 95 for ~ 30 minutes and moniter your CPU temps with Core Temp. CPU-Z will tell you how much Vdroop you get under load. This is important because your PC may be doing just fine except when trying to do a CPU intensive task and crash. Since the Vc will be lower with this particular platform under load it may just be low enough to allow the CPU to become unstable.

Until you become more familair with how your CPU, M/BD and ram work together I'd raise the FSB in smaller increments making sure it is stable each time you have increased the FSB and "Vc if necessary". i.e.; 1400 FSB stable then 1450 FSB then 1500 FSB and so on.

You may find that as you get to higher clocks your Vc may have to be raised in a much larger increment than it did with the previous setting. That will be accompanied with much higher load temps that will limit how high your particular PC will OC.

Your math is fine. Calculate what ram divider you will need @ a particular FSB setting so it does not get OC'd. Better to have under clocked ram at this stage than OC'd. You may have to manually set your ram timing to mfg spec., at least I do. That includes the rams operating voltage according to mfg specs.

A reminder about this CPU for you is that "it is not a true quad like AMD quads or the newer "i" series Intel CPUs.

Your Q9300 is 2 dual core CPUs on one die. This makes a major difference when OC'n because these 2 CPUs on one die have to be kept in sync with each other or they become unstable and do strange things.

Lastly, the more knowledge you have about how this CPU works the better your chance of getting a good OC. I can not stress that enough to you. There are no short cuts OC'n this CPU and if you skim over OC'n guides for this CPU it will tell on you.

Good luck and Happy OC'n. :sol: