Sign in with
Your question

Safely remove hardware will not remove wd 10eads external usb device

Last response: in Storage
January 29, 2011 6:09:33 PM

Hello, safely remove hardware will not remove western digital 10eads external usb device in vista 64
a b G Storage
January 29, 2011 8:45:47 PM

It won't Safely Remove if the system is using it; use windows explorer to select another HDD or My Documents, or Desktop, etc. You should then be able to Safely Remove the 10EADS.
m
l
February 4, 2011 11:44:28 PM

treefrog07 said:
It won't Safely Remove if the system is using it; use windows explorer to select another HDD or My Documents, or Desktop, etc. You should then be able to Safely Remove the 10EADS.

This computer used to Safely Remove Hardware (J) from the icon each day for security. My machine backs-up data nightly to "J" (external hardrive referred to in the message to follow) and then restarts. Once restarted, when I come in office I prefer to safely remove "J". When I click on the Safely Remove Hardware icon on the taskbar I receive one of two messages (1) "Problem ejecting usb mass storage device. Windows can't stop your 'wd 10EADS external usb device'. Close any program that might be using the device and then try again later.

Message 2 is the same as (1) above except 'wd 10EADS' is replaced by 'Generic Volume.'

Said external hard drive is not being used according to task manager or my knowledge. For approximately 18-months the process described above has been working perfectly-now it's broken.

I have Googled the messages and finally wrote to Tom's for help. So far, you are the only respondent. Any assistance would be appreciate. Thanks.
m
l
!