Joshwaa

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2010
Ok here is the deal I currently have a ASUS P8P67 Pro and an i7-2600k @ 4.8Ghz and 1.44 Vcore. With my H70 with 2 Ultra Kaze fans cpu temps go to max 74C. Which is about my limit for my 24/7 folding. However I just got a Maximus 4 Extream and another i7-2600k and would like to reach about 5.2ghz. From my experience I do not think the H70 will be able to keep up. I am not ready to go to a full Water cooling setup. So I would like some real facts from users with experience on this. I know there are a lot of really good coolers out there DH-14, Silver Arrow, H70, Tuniq 120, hyper 212. But what will stand up to the super heat I will be producing. Thanks so much for the help!

First: You probably won't reach 5.2GHz, unless you got very lucky in the overclocking lottery and got a CPU that will actually do that speed. Less than 1% do. You won't be able to force an inferior overclocker to that speed with extra voltage like with previous generations of CPUs. You should know this already, because of your experience with your existing Sandy Bridge. Look at the batch number of your CPU (it's on the CPU itself and the retail box, starts with L) -- if it's got a B, it probably won't do it. If it's got a C, then your chances are slightly higher.

Noctua NH-D14 and Thermalright Silver Arrow would be my top two choices for air coolers. The 212+ is good, but not that good.

Good luck ... you're going to need it.

Joshwaa

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2010

Actually I have already looked at the batch and serial on my chip and 5.4 has been achieved. On my old chip the batch (L) and serial was listed at 4.62 (by other users) max but I got mine to 4.8

Yes I do understand I will need luck thanks. But like I said in the post I need real info from experience. Do you have a SB rig clocked over 5.0? Everyone can recommend the top two coolers but have you used them in this setup? Thanks again.

For cooling:

Thermalright Silver Arrow>Noctua NH-D14>Thermalright Archon.

Regarding the CPU speed....well... you will REALLY need luck, SB is killer performance but for those 5.GHZ stable 24/7 that you want is almost impossible to get without reduce the lifespan of CPU or even kill someones before get it.

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
I guess if saying you have a 5+ghz chip at the expense of it burning out, then great. The heat generated by the k-series chips is huge once you start to reach high clocks and the voltages required to get them there. I realize saying you have a 5gig i7 2600k is great and all, but those chips are far more powerful per clock cycle than their predecessors. It is what it is for some and not others. You have to remember that overclocking isn't just dependent on the CPU in question; it has a huge amount to do with the motherboard's capability, RAM used and the power supply. Even with matching components to Joe Blow on some forum, there are very high chances that even then you can't reach the same results simply due to imperfections and minute differences with the hardware components, capacitors, transistors, etc, etc, etc...

Even the smallest miscalculation in the BIOS settings can make the difference in stability from one setting to the next...there are 1000's of reasons potentially to why you 'can't quite get there'.

If over 5 GHz is your goal, you should start getting ready to go full watercooling, because big air isn't going to cut it either

http://www.kitguru.net/components/cpu/zardon/can-the-intel-core-i7-2600k-5-1ghz-slay-its-980x-goliath/

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
joshwaa wrote :

Do you have a SB rig clocked over 5.0?

Leaps-from-Shadows wrote:

I do, but I run a water cooling setup to control the load temps better.

joshwaa-

I think the message we are trying to send you is that you are going to need to consider the heat output by your chip at that speed and the ability to keep it cool. It isn't often in life that you can have your cake and eat it too...this is one of those times when unfortunately it also doesn't apply.

You have 3 options:

1. Run your chip at a lower speed, deal with the thermal ceiling and limitations of air cooling for this chip at this speed.

2. Run your chip at the speed you want with an air cooler...hoping it does the trick.

3. Get a better cooling option, such as an actual water loop.

Joshwaa

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2010

Thanks for all your help. I understand that a watercooling setup would be the proper way to go. I ordered the DH-14. I will let you know how the temps compare to my H70 cooled chip. Also I do hear everyone saying why do you need that. "Just to say I got over 5.0Ghz." Sorry this is not the case. I fold and do BIGADV work orders. This whole system I am building I have won from folding. I do not care if the CPU only last for 2 years at 5.2Ghz. To me it will have served it purpose. So far I have won over 2100.00 in computer parts from folding. So this will be a dedicated 5.0+Ghz for folding. Gotta win more stuff.

Thanks for all the help guys.

TRENDING THREADS