Sign in with
Your question

GA-P55-UD3R Random Reboots

Last response: in Motherboards
November 18, 2009 6:38:28 PM

I recently built a new system with a GA-P55-UD3 motherboard and am getting random reboots (around 20 so far?). I've tried a number of things and have had no luck resolving this issue. I am in urgent need of help, as this is a work computer and I need to get back to work!

I've been trying to find a pattern, but nothing concrete. Here's what I have so far:
- Has only rebooted while in windows.
- Once rebooting starts, it happens more and more frequently (to the point where I don't even get to the login screen). Leaving the computer off for a while seems to reduce the frequency of reboots.
- It has happened twice while using Virtual PC.

Here are my current specs:
GA-P55-UD3R rev. 1.0
Intel i7-860
4x2GB OCZ3G1600LV4GK
Corsair VX550W
Radeon HD 4350
Western Digital 1TB
Windows 7 64-bit

Here's what I've tried to do so far:
- I originally bought the machine with 2x2GB Corsair CMX4GX3M2A1600C9.
- Installed Windows 7 64-bit. It rebooted a few times. During one boot up, it found errors on disk and fixed them. I could not get to the login screen after this.
- Updated BIOS to F3 and loaded optimized defaults. Didn't help.
- Reinstalled Windows 7 64-bit and all drivers (no Catalyst, though). Ran it on and off during the weekend at home. Ran Prime95 for 15 minutes with no issues. Watch an HD video with no issues.
- Brought it in to work on Monday. It worked until about noon, when it rebooted while in Google Chrome. Rebooted at 4:35 while not being used (I left at 4:30).
- Tuesday I was using it for a couple of hours. It rebooted while in Virutal PC. About 5 minutes later it rebooted while browsing in Google Chrome. Tried fail-safe, did not help. Tried adjusting RAM voltage to 1.64 (1.65 was not listed?). Didn't help. Could not get to login screen at this point. Left it for 10 minutes and tried again, but still couldn't get to the login screen. Left it for an hour and used it for 5 minutes and it rebooted. Left it for a little while longer and it didn't reboot for the rest of the day.
- Exchanged RAM for supported OCZ model. Installed 4 GB. Loaded Optimized defaults. Change voltage to 1.64. Ran a video in a loop for an hour, no problems. Ran the Windows 7 memory diagnostics in highest setting (2 passes). Ran from about 8pm until about 2:30am. It didn't find any problems. Booted up into windows autoamtically and ran until about 7am until I shut it off.
- It worked today from about 9am until 2:00pm or so with lots of usage. Rebooted while in Virtual PC.
- I found there was a new video card driver released yesterday. I installed it.
- I've checked the temperature a number of times, but it is always under 40c for both CPU and MB (something like 39c and 34c). It doesn't seem to fluctuate much.

I noticed after installing the supported OCR RAM, it listed in BIOS as 7-7-7-16 at 1066MHz instead of 8-8-8-24 at 1600MHz. I just ran Speccy and it's showing 7-7-7-19 at 533MHz(???). I'm not sure how to set this to 8-8-8-24 at 1600MHz.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
November 19, 2009 12:18:53 AM

System reboots itself, means that system suddenly resets like pressing the reset button?
Try remove all the power cables to the board and re-plug it.
Remove the memory module and re-sit it in series, you bought two OCZ 4G kits.
Look carefully to the memory S/N, they are paired, put the same S/N in same channel (means in different DIMM color).
Check the voltage info on the OCZ memory, adjust the BIOS according it, raise a little bit MCH core voltage and drop a little bit MCH reference voltage.
m
l
a c 177 V Motherboard
November 19, 2009 1:29:18 AM

Is neither "MCH core", nor "MCH reference" on a P55-UD3R, unless it was added to one of the three dozen or so recent BIOS revs... What used to be called an MCH (memory controller hub - northbridge) on FSB architecture Intels is now an IOH (mistakenly labeled MCH/ICH on most GBs) on the new platforms (1156/1366s)...

You don't even want the RAM at 1600 - there's no real-world advantage to it (http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/memory-scaling-i7,2... - aimed at 1366s, but the concept's the same...), it just makes things hotter and harder to get stable, and it's officially unsupported by Intel; you want the RAM at the lowest latency possible at 1333, which is the highest speed supported on the 1156 platform; theoretically, your RAM should be OK, assuming what you're reading is accurate: 8-8-8-24@1600 should run 7-7-7-20@1333, or 6-6-6-16@1066 (but you may have bad sub-timings); the reason that you're seeing 533 in some utilities is that it's DDR, which, recall, stands for double data rate! Transfers information on both the rising and falling clock edges; i.e., 1066 nominal RAM is actually clocked at 533 MHz...

First thing to check - source of lots of weird problems, is socket pins - takes a flashlight and a magnifying glass - Intel 'procedural' here:
http://www.intel.com/support/processors/sb/CS-030850.ht...

Next is to run MemTest86+ here:
http://www.memtest.org/download/4.00/memtest86+-4.00.is...
first, on your whole setup, preferably overnight; and then, assuming errors, to run it on one stick at a time, at least a whole pass, to 'qualify' the memory; as the major 'tool' I've previously used to come up with 'calculated' memory settings (especially sub-timings) is 'defunct', so far, on P55s, I'm back to timing by timing hand research and calculation, so it's time consuming - last one I did worked, but took three days of spare time - and am currently working on another; hoping I can get it down to a little more science, and a little less educated guesswork, and find a way to 'churn them out'; meantime, take heart, and read a bit here - people are getting these things to run, and in a lot of cases, to run spectacularly! :
http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=23...

m
l
Related resources
November 19, 2009 5:40:56 PM

Thanks to both for your replies.
Quote:
System reboots itself, means that system suddenly resets like pressing the reset button?
Yes.

Quote:
Try remove all the power cables to the board and re-plug it.
Remove the memory module and re-sit it in series, you bought two OCZ 4G kits.
Done.

Quote:
Look carefully to the memory S/N, they are paired, put the same S/N in same channel (means in different DIMM color).
It is correct.

Quote:
Check the voltage info on the OCZ memory, adjust the BIOS according it, raise a little bit MCH core voltage and drop a little bit MCH reference voltage.
I currently have everything set back to auto. If you're interested, here's what the bios has set it to:
  • CPU Vcore 1.20000V
  • CPI/Vtt Voltage 1.100V
  • PCH Core 1.050V
  • DRAM Voltage 1.500V
  • DRAM Termination 0.750V
  • Ch-A Data VRef 0.750V
  • Ch-B Data VRef 0.750V
  • Ch-A Address VRef 0.750V
  • Ch-B Address VRef 0.750V

I originally had the DRAM Voltage set to 1.640V (1.650V was not an available option), but it didn't seem to make a difference. Should I change this or any of the other options?

Quote:
    you want the RAM at the lowest latency possible at 1333, which is the highest speed supported on the 1156 platform
    I guess I should have done my research on this one. I was looking at the NewEgg comments for the i7-860 proc and it seemed most were buying 1600. I guess we should have gotten 1333?

Quote:
    theoretically, your RAM should be OK, assuming what you're reading is accurate: 8-8-8-24@1600 should run 7-7-7-20@1333, or 6-6-6-16@1066 (but you may have bad sub-timings)
    The bios is actually reading 7-7-7-16@1066. Is there a way I can change this to 7-7-7-20@1333?

Quote:
    the reason that you're seeing 533 in some utilities is that it's DDR, which, recall, stands for double data rate! Transfers information on both the rising and falling clock edges; i.e., 1066 nominal RAM is actually clocked at 533 MHz...
    I didn't even know what DDR stood for. :whistle: 

Quote:
    First thing to check - source of lots of weird problems, is socket pins - takes a flashlight and a magnifying glass - Intel 'procedural' here:
    I skimmed through this before installing. However, I did not look too closely (with a magnifying glass). I'm a little concerned about removing the CPU and putting it back on. I guess if I'm careful, I have nothing to worry about? Also, I'll need to purchase some TIM before doing this, right?

Quote:
    Next is to run MemTest86+ here:
    I guess the MS one isn't good enough? ;)  I'll run it tonight and see what it says.

Quote:
    as the major 'tool' I've previously used to come up with 'calculated' memory settings (especially sub-timings) is 'defunct', so far, on P55s, I'm back to timing by timing hand research and calculation, so it's time consuming - last one I did worked, but took three days of spare time - and am currently working on another; hoping I can get it down to a little more science, and a little less educated guesswork, and find a way to 'churn them out
    Thanks for all your hard work. I'm sure everyone appreciates it. If you can think of something simple I can try, please let me know.

Quote:
    meantime, take heart, and read a bit here - people are getting these things to run, and in a lot of cases, to run spectacularly!
    If this was a home PC, I wouldn't be worried at all. However, it's my work PC and I'm a little stressed right now. I just spoke to my boss and he's not too happy about this. I've built a few machines before with no issues and it was my recommendation to do this rather than buying a pre-built one from Lenovo or HP. It sounds like I'm going to have to pay for this one out of my pocket (and use it at home or something) and get a pre-built one if I don't get it fixed soon (like tomorrow). :( 

It doesn't look like my boss wants me to check the pins myself. Maybe I'll bring it in to the tech support dept of the store where I bought the stuff and have them take a look.

My computer just restarted again about an hour ago, so it doesn't look like the updated Radeon drivers helped. However, the frequency of this issue has seemed to reduce since switching to the OCZ memory (once yesterday and once today...so far).

I have an older nvidia based card lying around here...I'm going to try that and see if that makes a difference.

Any other recommendations?

Thanks again for all your help. I really need it. :??: 
    m
    l
    a b V Motherboard
    November 19, 2009 6:34:20 PM

One other thought, since you need to get this fixed quickly. When you built the PC, you did not use any paper washers between the standoff/mobo or standoff screw/mobo (or insulating standoffs) in this build, correct? Gigabyte boards are very sensitive to this and will have random reboots due to insufficient grounding if you insulate the standoffs in any way.
    m
    l
    November 19, 2009 6:58:48 PM

I did use the paper washers that were supplied. Should I remove these and see if it helps?
    m
    l
    a b V Motherboard
    November 19, 2009 7:08:45 PM

Yes. I have a Gigabyte board (with the Phenom II in my sig). I used the paper washers at first, just because they were there. I would get random restarts when plugging in USBs, when I walked near it, randomly, etc. Once I took them off, not one restart since. They supply the washers for a different kind of board. Gigabyte boards need the case ground through the standoffs, otherwise they will be unstable or ground through the wrong things (USBs) causing restarts.
    m
    l
    November 20, 2009 1:41:06 AM

I have removed the paper washers. Thanks for the suggestion.

I have also replaced the ATI card with an nvidia card. No reboots yet, but not enough time has passed yet.

I will be running MemTest86+ shortly.
    m
    l
    a b V Motherboard
    November 20, 2009 1:48:46 AM

Yeah, I know what you mean. I know several times when I had the issue I thought I had fixed it, only for it to come back randomly a couple days later. I wasn't finally satisfied i had fixed it until it didn't reboot for a week or two.
    m
    l
    a b V Motherboard
    November 20, 2009 2:34:58 AM

EXT64 said:
    One other thought, since you need to get this fixed quickly. When you built the PC, you did not use any paper washers between the standoff/mobo or standoff screw/mobo (or insulating standoffs) in this build, correct? Gigabyte boards are very sensitive to this and will have random reboots due to insufficient grounding if you insulate the standoffs in any way.

If this turns out to be the fix that's a great call. Only someone who's been down that road before could've pulled that out of the air. What ships with paper washers? Is it the case?
    m
    l
    a b V Motherboard
    November 20, 2009 10:49:30 AM

It was the case. Its not their fault though, just mine for not reading more into it. Apparently, some older boards (or maybe new ones too, not sure) needed insulation on some of the standoffs. That is not true at least for Gigabyte boards though, as they are specifically designed to have the standoffs conduct (and need it, at least in the case of my board). If you look closely at the boards, there are even solder beads to ensure good conduction.
    m
    l
    a b V Motherboard
    November 20, 2009 11:15:56 AM

Come to think of it, my board did have solder beads around the standoff screwholes. I wondered what that was for. Well I learned something new today. Guess I can call it a day.
    m
    l
    November 20, 2009 12:43:10 PM

The paper washers did come with the case, not the motherboard. I also noticed the solder beads around the wholes while I was taking them off yesterday. I really hope this was the cause of the problem. In any case, I think this is a great tip.

I ran MemTest86+ for hours last night. 4+ passes with 0 errors.

I currently have my DRAM Voltage set to auto, which is coming up as 1.500V. The memory should be 1.650V. Should I change this setting to 1.640V? Should I change anything else? Or should it be stable with the current settings?

BTW, my boss told me that one more restart and that's the end of the line with this machine. I really hope this works!
    m
    l
    November 20, 2009 1:06:40 PM

timby_65 said:
    The paper washers did come with the case, not the motherboard. I also noticed the solder beads around the wholes while I was taking them off yesterday. I really hope this was the cause of the problem. In any case, I think this is a great tip.

I ran MemTest86+ for hours last night. 4+ passes with 0 errors.

I currently have my DRAM Voltage set to auto, which is coming up as 1.500V. The memory should be 1.650V. Should I change this setting to 1.640V? Should I change anything else? Or should it be stable with the current settings?

BTW, my boss told me that one more restart and that's the end of the line with this machine. I really hope this works!

Hi timby_65,

It seems that we have quite the same configuration and similar problems. I've also experienced frequent reboots on my machine and I've still found no workaround. The detailed description you made at the beginning of the thread was very interesting.
    My config is: GA-P55-UD3R F3n + Core i7 860 + 8 GB GSkill DDR3-1600 + HD-5770

I have the feeling that the frequent reboots I have are caused by my Sapphire HD5770, but that's quite difficult to be 100% sure. However, if your config remains stable with a Nvidia card, it would prove that the video card is definitely involved.

My symptoms:
    * The first installation of WIndows (XP 32bits for the moment) went without problem ... until I install Sapphire's Radeon drivers. Then, after a while, ugly red squares appeared all over my screen and then a blue screen of death appeared. After that, the PC wasn't stable for more than 2 minutes and kept rebooting. I tried to install 8.66 drivers, 9.10 drivers, 9.11 beta drivers with the same result. The PC behaved exactly the same way with Ubuntu when I activated ATI Proprietary drivers.
    * Then, I noticed by chance that, that if my HD5770 card was hot enough, the PC didn't crash anymore!! I've tested this feature for 2 days and as soon as the GPU Temp does not go under 38°C (98°F), the PC keeps running without any problem (even for hours). I've tested it on Ubuntu and Windows. On Windows, to prevent the system from crashing, I've tried to run FurMark3D continuously (but the CG gets hot) or to change the CG parameters thanks to ATI Tray Tool (reducing fan speed works for example). On Ubuntu, I still haven't found a perfect solution so far since HD5770 is still not supported by the latest ATI drivers -> Therefore, it's impossible to monoitor the temperature or to change the fan speed for example... However, running fgl+glxgears prevents Linux from crashing. I think that a long-term solution would consist in modifying HD5770's bios.

I suggest that you have a close look at the temperature of your Radeon graphics card (with a tool like hwmonitor). Maybe, this can help. You can also have a look to the thread http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/page-55024_12_50.ht...

Papatte
    m
    l
    a b V Motherboard
    November 20, 2009 3:30:48 PM

That's interesting papatte. Good job investigating. It may mean you card is defective though, as I have never seen a card that thought 38C was too cold.

Timby, passing memtest is a good start. To be more certain, a program like prime95 would be good as it stresses CPU and memory.

As for the ram, I would leave it at Auto. The reason it (appears at least) runs fine is because of this:

When ram manufacturers set the default speed, they always go back to the 1066 (533x2) JEDEC specification, as all certified mobos should be able to boot that without issue. Thus you see 533 (1066) and 1.5V and CAS7, a JEDEC spec. There is nothing wrong with that setting, and since you are focusing on stability right now, I would not adjust it. You could play with it later once you are not under so much pressure, but the benefit of setting it to its rated higher speed is fairly small (in real life apps) and the risk of inducing a reboot (by wrong settings or poor ram) I think is too high for your situation.
    m
    l
    a c 177 V Motherboard
    November 22, 2009 3:06:02 PM

Timby_65;

Seeing as how you are in 'desperate straights', here's what I'd try: Once again, take out two sticks, disable XMP, and do a "Load Optimized" with the remainder; save, exit, reboot; enter BIOS and set:

CPU Enhanced Halt (C1E) disabled...
    C3/C6/C7 State Support disabled...
    CPU EIST Function disabled...
    Performance Enhance to standard
    QPI/Vtt Voltage to 1.250V
    PCH Core 1.200V
    DRAM Voltage 1.650V

For your RAM timings:
    Under standard, raise CAS, tRCD, tRP by one count; raise tRAS 10%, rounded to the next integer;
    under advanced, raise all 10%, again, rounded up to the next integer, except tWTP, which you want to round up to the next odd integer...

'turnarounds' should be OK at the 'Load Optimized' settings

Save exit, reboot; power down, add the other two sticks (as a fall back position, you can always run with two DIMMs 'till you can get the other two going - not likely to 'see' a lot of difference, depending on your workload...)
    m
    l
    November 26, 2009 1:39:02 PM

Thanks to all for your replies, I appreciate the help.

Unfortunately, the machine started rebooting with great frequency on Friday. The reboots were a little different, though, as I was getting blue screens before it shutdown, where before it would just act like the reset button was pressed. The error started with MEMORY_, but I forget what the second word was.

I bought a new HP machine an hour later and have had no issues with it. The problem machine is now my home PC (along with the cost).

I went to the store I purchased the parts from and they were nice enough to offer to troubleshoot it for me. Yesterday I called and asked for an update. They said that they ran MemTest86+ again and it reported errors (although they're not sure if they caused them by changing some settings first). They said they adjusted the timings and ran MemTest86+ again, and it ran without errors. However, the machine rebooted later that day. They then exchanged the OCZ RAM for GSkill and haven't had a reboot since. It was almost a full day at that point.

I'm going to let them keep it a day or two longer, just to make sure the issue has been resolved. I'll post an update once I get the machine back.
    m
    l
    a b V Motherboard
    November 26, 2009 1:45:56 PM

Thanks for the update. Let us know if that's the final resolution.
    m
    l
    December 1, 2009 3:17:20 AM

I too have a problem with random rebooting using windows 7. The problem is, I have no dump files, and never get a BSOD even when I hit F8 before bootup and disable automatic reboot upon system failure.

I have an AMD setup.
    Mobo: GA-MA790FX-DS5
    CPU: Phenom x4 9850 2.5ghz?
    RAM: 4 x OCZ 1066 2gb
    PSU: Corsair 750w
    VID: Powercolor 4850 2gb
    HDDS:
    1 x 1TB WDD Black Caviar (Storage)
    1 x 160GB Seagate (WinV x64, WinXP x86)
    1 x 160GB Seagate (Ubuntu / random unpartitioned free space)
    1 x 300GB Seagate (Misc / Win7 x64)

Weird thing is, I never have a problem running vista 64, or windows xp. I only have had this random restart problem when using Windows 7, and it seems that we have similar hardware "1tb hdd".
    Perhaps the hdd drivers?
    I've had nothing but problems with win7 where vista has treated me better since I've been using it starting 2 years ago.
    m
    l
    a b V Motherboard
    December 1, 2009 11:14:07 AM

Next time it crashes, check in Computer Management, under System Tools - Event Viewer - Custom Views - Administartive Events. Look for warning or error messages written at the time of the crash that could point to what is causing the problem.

Others have found updating or rolling back drivers on certain hardware have resolved the issue. http://www.sevenforums.com/crashes-debugging/6541-const...

You can also check in Computer Management under System Tools - Device Manager. Expand all the listed devices and make sure none have a warning or error icon displayed on them.
    m
    l
    December 1, 2009 4:10:15 PM

It appears that my issue is resolved, as the machine has not rebooted since 2009-11-24 (about a week ago) when the OCZ RAM was exchanged for GSkill.

To summarize, I had random reboots with the following specs:
    GA-P55-UD3R rev. 1.0
    Intel i7-860
    4x2GB OCZ3G1600LV4GK OR 2x2GB Corsair CMX4GX3M2A1600C9
    Corsair VX550W
    Radeon HD 4350 OR NVIDIA 8500GT
    Western Digital 1TB
    Windows 7 64-bit

Replacing the RAM with 2x2GB GSkill Ripjaws F3-12800CL8D-4GBRM seems to resolve the issue.

I will be replacing the NVIDIA 8500GT with the Radeon HD 4350 card on the weekend and will update if I have any further problems.

Thanks again to all who have tried to help.
    m
    l
    a b V Motherboard
    December 1, 2009 4:14:26 PM

Glad to hear your problems resolved. Thanks for reporting back the solution. Not everyone takes the time to do that.
    m
    l
    a b V Motherboard
    December 1, 2009 5:32:02 PM

Well, glad you (probably) got it sorted out. Sorry it took too long.
    m
    l
    December 1, 2009 6:32:17 PM

Glad to see your problem has been resolved!
    I can't see my OCZ RAM being faulty.. as it has been 100% stable with vista 64 and xp even playing the most demanding games of today. (GTA 4)
    m
    l
    December 2, 2009 2:43:52 PM

I edited my reply and entered the RAM model that has resolved the problem (2x2GB GSkill Ripjaws F3-12800CL8D-4GBRM).

papatte said:

I have the feeling that the frequent reboots I have are caused by my Sapphire HD5770, but that's quite difficult to be 100% sure. However, if your config remains stable with a Nvidia card, it would prove that the video card is definitely involved.

I actually stumbled upon your thread before posting mine and noticed this. I was really hopeful when I installed the nvidia card, but it didn't help.

I did want to mention that I had a similar issue with the video card in my Xbox 360. I had the RROD issue. Before this happened, the Xbox was locking up very frequently. I couldn't even use it for more than a few minutes before it would lock up on me, even if I left it for a couple of days. I eventually got the RROD. I intentionally overheated it to reset the RROD status and was able use it for hours without any lockups. However, a couple of days later I tried to use it again and it locked up after 20 seconds. I did some research and the theory was that when the board overheated, it warped enough to temporarily correct the problem. I'm wondering if your board has the same type of problem? If you can get your hands on another video card at least temporarily, I think you should try it out.

RyanEricW said:
    I too have a problem with random rebooting using windows 7. The problem is, I have no dump files, and never get a BSOD even when I hit F8 before bootup and disable automatic reboot upon system failure.

Originally, I also did not have any dump files and I didn't get the BSOD when the computer restarted. I only started getting the dump files and BSOD on the last day before I brought it in to the service department.

ekoostik said:
    Next time it crashes, check in Computer Management, under System Tools - Event Viewer - Custom Views - Administartive Events. Look for warning or error messages written at the time of the crash that could point to what is causing the problem.

Others have found updating or rolling back drivers on certain hardware have resolved the issue. http://www.sevenforums.com/crashes-debugging/6541-const...

You can also check in Computer Management under System Tools - Device Manager. Expand all the listed devices and make sure none have a warning or error icon displayed on them.

I originally checked the event viewer logs, but there were no errors or warnings (other than the one that said the computer shut down unexpectedly). I had no warnings or errors for any devices in the device manager.

ekoostik said:
    Glad to hear your problems resolved. Thanks for reporting back the solution. Not everyone takes the time to do that.

If I'm going to ask for help on a forum, the least I can do is mention what the resolution was. :) 

Thanks again to all for your assistance.
    m
    l
    December 11, 2009 5:25:02 AM

Strangely enough i'm having a similar problem with my PC

Uses a p55-ud3r, same model ocz ram and a Radeon HD 3870
    m
    l
    a b V Motherboard
    December 11, 2009 10:19:08 AM

What version BIOS are you running? What is the version # of your AMD drivers? What OS are you running? What's your PSU? Have you run memtest86+ on your RAM?
    timby_65's issue went away when he replaced the RAM. Can you test with another set of RAM?
    m
    l
    December 11, 2009 12:21:07 PM

Vizth said:
    Strangely enough i'm having a similar problem with my PC

Uses a p55-ud3r, same model ocz ram and a Radeon HD 3870

I spent quite a bit of time on this issue. Based on my experience and other reviews I've read, this motherboard appears to have compatibility issues with many RAM models (at least when using the default settings). I'd try to update to the latest firmware first to see if the issue has been resolved. If you do this, just make sure you don't do it in Windows! Search the threads here and you'll find out why.

If this does't help, I wouldn't even bother with MemTest86+ with this motherboard / RAM combination. I ran this for hours and no issues were raised. I ran other memory tests, Prime95, etc., and nothing reported errors or even warnings.

You might be able to resolve the issue by changing the default settings for the RAM, but I wouldn't know to what.

Switching to GSkill Ripjaws F3-12800CL8D-4GBRM has resolved the issue for me. If you can exchange the RAM for this model (like I was able to), then I recommend doing so.

BTW, I have been using the Radeon HD 4350 card for at least a week now, and there have been no issues. This issue was definitely related to the RAM.
    m
    l
    December 11, 2009 6:25:49 PM

I've put my PC through a full course of tests. I'm running the last F3 bios to be put out, i see they have F4 out now. I got another thread on this in windows 7, just found this one and it was so similar i couldn't help but comment.

CPU: Core i5 750 2.66GHz (Not OC, Temps max out at 55C under 100% load)

Mobo: Gigabyte P55-UD3R (flashed to the latest F3 bios)

RAM: 4GB (2x2) OCZ Gold, DDR3 1600MHz, Dual Channel, 1.65V (Ran Memtest x86 for 15 passes and it found nothing)

Gfx: Radeon HD 3870 (carryover from old comp, GPU temp Seems to cap between 70-75C)

Psu: OCZ 600W StealthXStream (carryover from old comp)

It'll be a while before i can even look at another set of ram to try out. It's a small miracle i was able to scrape together enough cash to upgrade this year as it is.

Here's the bluescreens. Not all of them, a few times it froze up before it could make the dump.
    m
    l
    December 11, 2009 6:45:15 PM

Vizth said:
    I've put my PC through a full course of tests. I'm running the last F3 bios to be put out, i see they have F4 out now. I got another thread on this in windows 7, just found this one and it was so similar i couldn't help but comment.

CPU: Core i5 750 2.66GHz (Not OC, Temps max out at 55C under 100% load)

Mobo: Gigabyte P55-UD3R (flashed to the latest F3 bios)

RAM: 4GB (2x2) OCZ Gold, DDR3 1600MHz, Dual Channel, 1.65V (Ran Memtest x86 for 15 passes and it found nothing)

Gfx: Radeon HD 3870 (carryover from old comp, GPU temp Seems to cap between 70-75C)

Psu: OCZ 600W StealthXStream (carryover from old comp)

It'll be a while before i can even look at another set of ram to try out. It's a small miracle i was able to scrape together enough cash to upgrade this year as it is.

Here's the bluescreens. Not all of them, a few times it froze up before it could make the dump.
    ]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v282/Vizth/th_bluescreen.jpg

Your dump looks different than mine. Up until the last day, I didn't even get dumps...it just restarted. The issue might not be the exact same. It's too bad you can't get your hands on other RAM just to try it out. I can't think of anything else to try...you'll have to rely on the experts here for help.
    m
    l
    a b V Motherboard
    December 11, 2009 7:06:36 PM

What is your ram set at in BIOS, exactly?
    m
    l
    December 11, 2009 7:13:51 PM

i went in set it at 8-8-8-24. and it's running on the default setting of 1066Mhz.
    I saw no option for 1600, even though gigabyte said the board supported it.

Voltage is 1.64, there is no 1.65 option, 1.64 or 1.66 is as close as i can get
    m
    l
    a b V Motherboard
    December 11, 2009 7:32:59 PM

Yep, you cannot do 1600, but that is not because of the board. The multiplier on the CPU does not go high enough at stock. The most you can do is 1333MHz.
    m
    l
    a b V Motherboard
    December 11, 2009 7:49:46 PM

EXT64 is right. But just to add some detail for others reading this, with an i7 860 or i7 870 CPU (presumably any future i7 1156 CPU), you can select a 12x multiplier. In that way, at stock bclk of 133 you can hit 1600 MHz with the RAM (133 x 12 = 1600 ). With the i5 750 the max multiplier available is 10 allowing you to hit 1333MHz.
    m
    l
    Anonymous
    a b V Motherboard
    December 17, 2009 1:01:02 PM

Hello. I was referred to this forum by a friend of mine who’s been investigating my particular issues that sound somewhat like many of those described here. First of all, my PC particulars are as follows:

CPU: Intel Core i5-750
    RAM: PNY 2GB DDR3
    Video Card: Gainward PCI-E nVidia 9600GT 1GB
    Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-P55-UD3R 1156pin Revision 1.0
    PSU: Thermaltake LitePower 600W
    HD: Seagate 160GB

This was a replacement system after my old nVidia 7600GT card failed and I discovered the only way to go was upgrading the system. I should add here I’ve left an old CD and DVD burner in the case as I’ve forgotten where the case dust covers are.

So, late last month I paid what I thought was a reputable PC business to put together the system for me (I still had my old copy of XP installed on the hard drive).

From that point on, I’ve had nothing but issues. The primary one that started from the very next day when I got back the system was the sudden ‘stalling’ of the system where I noticed my USB mouse and keyboard lights go off and my ADSL modem stall, particularly if I were playing an MMO or using something that might involve video processing such as Windows Movie Maker. The secondary fault seemed just limited to my online gaming, where the game would either load then stall with a screeching fax-like sound. Both of these events necessitated (and still do) a manual reboot of the system.

The initial culprit was suspected to be the hard drive and the software accumulated on it before the new hardware was installed. I systematically wiped the drive and reinstalled XP, found and installed the most up to date video and audio drivers and things seemed to be fine for all of about twelve hours, when in the midst of downloading Adobe Reader of all things, the machine stalled.

I returned the machine to the store for them to find a possible fault. They ran a BurnIn test for 44 hours and another program called 3DMark 06. They found no errors beyond an apparent stall where they then replaced the video card. I took the machine back home…only to find the error occurring again the same day.

Since then, I’ve updated the BIOS through @BIOS, which apparently is not recommended (and being not a very experienced person with PC maintenance, I’m unsure of how to flash the BIOS in the BIOS), and encountered two BSOD’s. The first mentions a page fault in a non-page area, and the second, which occurred today, mentions a driver corrupted in the MM_POOL. I have downloaded the memory testing program and will post results of it. I have also had to repair one game’s graphics programs which were found to be corrupted, and I suspect the many stalls and manual reboots may be corrupting sectors on the hard drive as well. I am prepared to replace the drive if necessary.

The recent mentions here of the RAM being the culprit to me sound like a very likely scenario, but I would like to be one hundred percent certain before proceeding. I will definitely work on reconnecting all the major power points and monitoring the system, but I do feel something is mechanically wrong. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

EDIT: Some recent searches have revealed the following. 1) There is apparently a BIOS update (up to F4) that partially address this issue and 2)A manual adjustment of the voltage going to the RAM apparently also helps this issue, bringing it down from 1333MhZ to 1066. I'm not familiar enough with these kinds of things to know if this correct, but it is certainly -sounding- like it'd be exactly the thing that would be the problem.
    m
    l
    December 17, 2009 1:31:15 PM

You know it's funny i was gonna go for an asus board but i skipped out on it because i was worried about ram compatibility. XD
    m
    l
    a b V Motherboard
    December 17, 2009 3:28:20 PM

Did they give you the manual to the motherboard? It should walk you through flashing the BIOS in the BIOS and at least show you some screenshots of the BIOS ram settings. If you don't have it, you can download it off of Gigabyte's Website.
    m
    l
    December 17, 2009 8:08:51 PM

Hi all,

I've just spent a day fixing this issue on a newly built core i7-860 / GA-P55A-UD3R / 4G G.Skill DDR3 2000 Trident system, running Win 7 64.

I, too, at first thought that it may have been a memory timing issue, but could run memtest86+ forever with no issues.

I updated the BIOS to f5, same behaviour.

bilbat has the correct solution in his post above - the problem appears to be related to one or more of the: CPU EIST function / C1E / C3/6/7 / turbo boost support.

It seems that for some systems, just disabling EIST is enough to prevent the problem. Unfortunately in my case, I had to disable all 4, including turbo boost, which I'm not particularly happy about.

However the system is now completely stable.

Here are a couple of links to other forum threads:

m
    l
    December 17, 2009 8:10:50 PM

Hi, i was reading about the problems that you guys had, and i must say they are exactly as mine :) .
    My specs are:

Processor: i5 750
    MoBo: Gigabyte P55-UD3R
    RAM: TeamGroup Team Xtreem 4GB DDR3 1600MHz CL7
    Video: 8600 GT Gainward
    PSU: Gigabyte Superb 550P
    HD: WD 320Gb

After i bought the components, and installed them i tried to install Win 7, after installing i started getting random blue screens like: MEMORY_MANAGEMENT , PFN_LIST_CORRUPT and the system rebooted. This happened a lot in the morning, when the system was cold. I did some test like BurnIn Test, Futuremark Benchmark and Memtest with no errors. I figure out that my problem was the RAM, so i did some manual setting in bios to it like raising the voltages and letting it stay at 1333 MHz. But this didn't solve the problem so i did a new Memtest, this one found over 2 500 000 errors. I did the test separate on each stick of memory and found that one of them had all the errors. I left in just the good stick of memory and started windows, the system was stable and i had no errors for one day. Now the memory is back at the sealer for warranty. I just hope when i get it back to not get the same errors again, or any errors at all. If i'll have the same problem again i'll try what you guys tried and get back to you with the results.
    m
    l
    February 10, 2010 6:48:16 AM

Hi!
    This is so strange... after many BSODs mostly with the "MEMORY_MANAGEMENT" error and many changes on the BIOS and 3 Windows fresh installations, I realized that if I don't close the case, my PC works well.

My PC
    Processor: i5 750
    MoBo: Gigabyte P55-UD3R
    RAM: 4GBRMGSKILL PC12800 4GB RIPJAWS CL7 DDR3-F3-12800CL7D-4GBRM
    Video: Gigabyte GV-N250ZL-1GI
    PSU: CORSAIR HX650W MODULAR
    HD: HDD WESTERN DIGITAL 1TB 7200RPM 64Mb SATA2 GREEN EDITION 3.5" - WD10EARS
    Case: NOX LIVE 2
    m
    l
    February 11, 2010 10:37:44 PM

Forget it, it was a casuality...

Many BSOD after I get stability with just 1x 2GB RAM

Let's see how far this can go...
    m
    l
    a b V Motherboard
    February 12, 2010 2:36:42 AM

Have you tried memtest86+ with both and each (other removed) stick? You could have gotten one bad stick.
    m
    l
    February 12, 2010 8:53:31 AM

Yes I did that.
    No errors found...

:( 
    By the way... BSOD with just one stick...

Today I'll try to talk with the seller, to change this sticks with this ones (from the Gigabyte compatibility list):
    GSKILL PC12800 4GB NQ CL9 (2x2GB) DDR3
    [F3-12800CL9D-4GBNQ]

Thanx mate
    m
    l
    a b V Motherboard
    February 12, 2010 10:51:22 AM

What are your ram settings in the BIOS (voltage, timing, speed) and do you have the latest BIOS?
    m
    l
    February 15, 2010 11:07:27 AM

Yes I have the last bios: F6 (28/01/2010).
    I tried two configurations, the automatic (I think it was 9-9-9-24 1.5v)
    and then I tried manually put them in profile1 (7-8-7-24 1.6v)

I spoke with the seller and I'll sent them today for exchange with this ones:

GSKILL PC3-12800 4GB Trident CL8 (2x2GB) DDR3
    [F3-12800CL8D-4GBTD]

Best regards.
    m
    l
    February 17, 2010 2:21:29 PM

Well, it's been over two months since I thought I had resolved the problems. I haven't had any more random reboots, but over the past few weeks I have noticed some system stability issues (with no major system or driver changes).

Occasionally the system will slow down to a crawl (almost as if it were frozen). The mouse continues to work, but all applications will appear to be frozen and will only work for a second or two every minute or two (e.g. I try to scroll in google Chrome, it freezes, then 1 to 2 minutes later it scrolls, then freezes again for a minute or two, etc.). The hover state for icons on the desktop work until I click on one or on the desktop, at which point the desktop will be frozen. The same applies for the start menu. I can switch between running programs (Alt+Tab), but it is very slow. I have run the task manager a number of times when this happen (it takes a couple of minutes to start), and nothing is using much CPU.

I tried disabling my antivirus app, but there was little or no improvement.

Restarting the machine does not appear to help. Logging off takes 5 to 10 minutes. Once it took 30 minutes to go from the bios splash screen to the windows login screen. Even the "windows is starting" animation is not smooth and appears to freeze a little. Based on this, it does not appear to be driver related. One night I shutdown the computer after having this problem. I started it up the next day and it still had the problem. Therefore, it does not appear to be an overheating issue. Sometimes it will go back to normal after 20 to 30 minutes. It usually happens after the computer has been on for a number of hours, but not always.

I took a look at this tread and found the advice about disabling the 4 advanced CPU settings. I changed these settings while the computer was acting up and have not been able to reproduce the issue since. It appears that it helped. I haven't had much time to test, though, so I will try post an update in about a week.
    m
    l
    February 18, 2010 1:45:44 AM

Quote:
    I took a look at this tread and found the advice about disabling the 4 advanced CPU settings. I changed these settings while the computer was acting up and have not been able to reproduce the issue since. It appears that it helped. I haven't had much time to test, though, so I will try post an update in about a week.

Looks like I spoke too soon. The computer froze again today after being on for about 20 minutes. I'm not sure if this issue is related to my original or not. Any ideas / suggestions?
    m
    l
    a b V Motherboard
    February 18, 2010 1:50:02 AM

Well, have you checked for any new BIOSes recently? it almost sounds like software. Maybe run a chkdsk just to make sure nothing got corrupted (by a memory or HDD error).
    m
    l
    March 2, 2010 2:20:08 AM

Just did an update to my desktop PC and getting completely random crashes.

GA-P55-UD3
    G.Skill Ripjaws F3-10666 4GBDDR3
    Intel Core i5 750

I'm trying everything too... will let you guys know if I make any progress.
    :( 
    m
    l
    March 2, 2010 8:24:00 AM

My computer is working very well now with the GSKILL PC3-12800 4GB Trident CL8 (2x2GB) DDR3 [F3-12800CL8D-4GBTD].
    Even with over-clocking without any special cooler the stability is 100%.
    Thank you all mates.
    m
    l
    !