Fast laptop hard drives

tehdewm

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2011
Hello, I was curious at what the best hardrive might be, the Seagate Momentus XT or the Scorpio Black hard drive. Out of general laptop use (gaming, browsing, encoding, etc.) which one would be worthwhile to get?

tehdewm

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2011
The only issue is that it does not take in the factor of the Momentus XT, the hard drive with 4 gigs of flash on it. Unless I am mistaken that seagate hard drive is just a standard one.

tehdewm

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2011
Yeah I find that the XT seems to get more positive reviews speed wise, but every once in a while there are "results" that counteract. I am considering just going with an SSD and maybe storing all my unimportant stuff in a USB 3.0 external hard drive.

EDIT: After taking a look at some more tests, I noticed that it only excels well at certain times, but for the majority of tests it is halfway or near last in others. So, to conclude, would it be wise to go about 200-250 dollars for an SSD and about a hundred for a USB 3.0 external HDD, or are there any suggestions for the near fastest HDD for my laptop. (No velociraptors or any 12.5mm HDD by the way)