Sign in with
Your question

Wha is safe ovreclocking for a hd 6870

Last response: in Overclocking
April 13, 2011 4:54:46 PM

how do i know what is safe clocking for my card?

i have one card that is 915 and one that is 900 .. is it safe to overlock the other one to 915?

how do i know its dangeous or not?
a b U Graphics card
a b K Overclocking
April 14, 2011 9:50:25 AM

Yes, from 900 to 915 is very little. Install MSI Afterburner, it's a free piece of software from MSI that works on all graphics card and all GPU's from all manufacturers. You can with this easily OC the 900MHz card to 915MHz, or lower the overclock on the 915MHz card down to 900MHz.

It's quite safe, and Afterburner will show you temperatures and everything as well, so you can OC whilst keeping a watchful eye on the status of your favourite card.

Enjoy!
April 14, 2011 10:33:23 AM

but youcan do oc on ccc
but i was asking if its safe for my graphics cards to go to 915 since one of them only is 900mhz
Related resources
April 14, 2011 2:14:31 PM

Overclocking a graphics card is pretty safe really. It's only dangerous if:

1) The temperature goes too high - you can keep an eye on this with CCC or RivaTuner
2) You up the voltage (don't do that unless you know what you're doing)
3) It keeps crashing (in which case move your gpu speed / memory speed down)
April 14, 2011 3:58:45 PM

what is high? ...
and what can cause my crossfire to overheat?
recently i made the crossfire actualy work and run faster but one of hte cards gets really active and goes up to 80 87 celicus

i have a wewak cpu a phenom ... do you think its the cpu or the psu ?
i have this chieftec super series which everyone say is a bad brand

April 14, 2011 9:59:50 PM

Above 90 degrees is high in my experience for a graphics card. At over 100 your card will probably crash.

Overheating is caused by poor airflow or fan - opening the case or getting more case fans can help, as can getting a decent aftermarket cooler for your graphics card.

April 14, 2011 10:13:36 PM

my case is already open...
what is a aftermarket cooler?

if i get those coolers can i safely double the performance of my cards?

lol iam using crossfire i dont have any space for aftermark cooler
April 14, 2011 10:28:28 PM

lol
a b U Graphics card
April 15, 2011 2:40:12 AM

shadstarn said:
my case is already open...
what is a aftermarket cooler?

if i get those coolers can i safely double the performance of my cards?

lol iam using crossfire i dont have any space for aftermark cooler

It's like a new heatsink and fan for your graphics card. I got one because my graphics card was overheating all the way to 100 degrees C, and it really helps; I even screwed up putting it on, so the pre-applied paste was messing up, but it's still at 50 degrees C max. And no, you cannot safely DOUBLE your performance of your cards. No graphics card can overclock to the point where it performs twice as fast. The most is probably 30% more REAL performance boost, and that's with liquid nitrogen.
April 15, 2011 7:47:19 AM

it is not posssible because i dont have the space for a bigger fan for the gpus
a b U Graphics card
April 15, 2011 4:10:22 PM

ccc sucks for figureing out what OC'ing your vid card can handle, it can wildly change its mind on what your vid card can handle between auto tune sessions...... Shop around for free overclocking software, check out oc'ing forums too.
April 15, 2011 4:30:29 PM

actually there is no autotune on ccc for hd 6870
not these i ahve ...
no i dont overclock it it generally runs good but it sometimes heats up f.. and i wonder if its a psu issue or if its my cpu bottle necking
April 16, 2011 11:34:33 AM

meh
a b U Graphics card
a b K Overclocking
April 18, 2011 6:01:53 AM

shadstarn said:
what is high? ...
and what can cause my crossfire to overheat?
recently i made the crossfire actualy work and run faster but one of hte cards gets really active and goes up to 80 87 celicus

i have a wewak cpu a phenom ... do you think its the cpu or the psu ?
i have this chieftec super series which everyone say is a bad brand

Based on this, I'd recommend you to drop the speed of both GPU's down to 850MHz flat. Also, USE AFTERBURNER. It's free and works really well. It's safe and user friendly, so you really can't mess it up. Also, switch your display from the hot card to the cooler one to set it as the primary card. It should drop some temps as well.
April 20, 2011 3:26:48 PM

Toxxyc said:
Based on this, I'd recommend you to drop the speed of both GPU's down to 850MHz flat. Also, USE AFTERBURNER. It's free and works really well. It's safe and user friendly, so you really can't mess it up. Also, switch your display from the hot card to the cooler one to set it as the primary card. It should drop some temps as well.

i think i fixed this .. it goes max 75 degrees now i think

the prob was the cards shoudl not be aligned over eachother
a b U Graphics card
a b K Overclocking
April 21, 2011 10:01:17 AM

shadstarn said:
i think i fixed this .. it goes max 75 degrees now i think

the prob was the cards shoudl not be aligned over eachother

Wicked. Also note you can buy card coolers that will fit between the two cards and keep cool air circulating into the fans, so it might be worth investigating. They are quite cheap, usually around $15 for a decent piece, so keep it in mind if you are running into problems again! :) 
April 21, 2011 10:31:58 AM

Toxxyc said:
Wicked. Also note you can buy card coolers that will fit between the two cards and keep cool air circulating into the fans, so it might be worth investigating. They are quite cheap, usually around $15 for a decent piece, so keep it in mind if you are running into problems again! :) 

what is it called?
April 28, 2011 12:24:40 AM

Buy Sapphire My 6870 clocks at 900 gpu stock i can run it at 1040 with no errors i can get the mem from 1050 to around 1150 on the stock cooler with max temps of 67c
but its loud
I have Just fitted an accellaro twin turbo and my noise prob has dissapeared my idle temps are lower max temps about the same
DONT FORGET you can mod your fan profile in the bios with RBE Bios Editor or with my card i use sapphire trixx that normaly helps temps heaps as all graph card makers set the fan NOT to reach Full Speed Till 100c set it to reach full speed at 60c and probs dissapear
a b U Graphics card
a b K Overclocking
April 28, 2011 7:23:35 AM

shadstarn said:
what is it called?

Hehe you get many, many different ones. The ones I'd look at though are the Antec SuperCycloneBlower (what a crap name, I know), Lian Li BS-08 (expensive, but awesome), Vizo PCL-201 (looks good, is cheap and runs quite quiet) and the Thermaltake ZM-SC100 (small, but appearantely effective).

Out of all I'd probably get the Vizo PCL-201, as it sports blue UV LED's and my SATA cables are blue UV reactive ones. It also fits a single expansion slot (any one, AGP, PCI, PCI-E), and has an external speed control on the slot cover. It costs R137.95 in South Africa, directly converted about $20, but you'll find it cheaper in the US.
April 28, 2011 10:05:15 AM

i already have sapphire 6870 but i also have a direct cu hd asus 6870

is it safe to overlock those both? they get pretty hot as it is when in load.

is there no aplication that can overlock them both at the same time?

can you help and guide me here a little? because i got thse cards

one sapphire 6870 and the other one is EAH6870 DC/2DI2S/1GD5 ASUS Radeon HD 6870 direct cu
a b U Graphics card
a b K Overclocking
April 28, 2011 10:12:18 AM

Use MSI Afterburner (think I mentioned it before). You can select each card and OC each card to comfortable levels. You can never OC both cards together, as voltage requirements and maximum clock speeds vary from card to card, and no two are exactly alike.
May 2, 2011 4:35:27 PM

how can you get the overlcoking because crossfire requires both cards to be same level . .. they will be as low as the lowest dominator right?
so how can you actually overlock crossfire?
May 3, 2011 1:29:19 AM

shadstarn said:
how can you get the overlcoking because crossfire requires both cards to be same level . .. they will be as low as the lowest dominator right?
so how can you actually overlock crossfire?

Download Furmark

SAPPHIRE Download Trixx to overclock

Asus should come with its own overclocking /voltage tools if not use msi afterburner
or catalist control center (wont let u mod volts )
But i think asus uses smart doctor or somthing like that u could try rbe as well

set the voltage on both cards to 1.3v

Put the gpu clocks @ 1000mhz

LEVE MEM CLOCKS ALONE

Run Furmark and watch for temp /errors

push clocks up bit by bit till they error then drop them a bit and start overclocking the mem clocks you prob wont get much more than around 1050 on the gpu and 1150-70 on the mem for eather card

WATCH HEAT

You might need to start at 950 if 1000 is to high for you, both cards should handle 950 on stock volts though i would expect
once you have found max stable clocks drop them down a few points and off you go
if one card clocks higher than the other just drop the highest one to the otherones stable clocks and all good

Hope This Helps
May 4, 2011 2:30:23 PM

van you help me .. for no reason my computer suddenly only sees the primary video card
i did even take out the secondary and insert it again but still only one card

how can i remedy this?
May 5, 2011 3:19:41 PM

what could be the reason for my motherboard to turn off the onboard LAN and also why does it not recognize my other gpu now suddenly?

yes both gpu works because i used them individually just now
May 5, 2011 9:37:02 PM

have you done a virus scan or driver cleanup try uninstalling catalist control center and installing 11.4 from amd.com somthing sounds buggy computers dont do anything themselfs they just do as we tel them or as someone else tells them
also check crosfire connectors /power cables what size power supply are you running ? 2 cards do use a bit of power
May 7, 2011 1:13:35 PM

i formated the computer man.. lol and still it wont find the lan .. the lan onboard is turned effectively off
its as if he motherboard has turned off some of its feautures automatically.
May 8, 2011 11:29:59 AM

check that there's not a setting in the bios to turn the lan on or off and check with device manager and see if the driver for the lan is installed or not. your not trying to overclock your pci-e are you ??
if so put it back to 100-105 if that still don't fix it maybe your lan has stuffed out but that normally takes a lightning strike/power surge you could always put in an pci lan card
May 8, 2011 12:19:17 PM

actually i did not manage to overlock it because i could not find the second card.. its as if the board malfunctioned when the msi afterburner was installed
unless it overlocks for you i did not.

i tried to check if my ram was in place and i pushed slightly on the ram and now the cpu fan does not turn on..
this all indicates a circuit problem issue on the mother board..

i wrote to amd and the shop ibought this .. so maybe .. i can get this to repair maybe.
May 8, 2011 9:08:35 PM

from the sounds of the last reply maybe you should leave the side of your case on and let the shop deal with it if you cant reseat ram you shouldent be inside your case sorry to say
May 9, 2011 7:34:21 AM

maybei know how to reseat ram but i dont know what i tmeans... can you tell me?
!