Asus M4A78T-E randomly don't post

gramph

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2009
So when I turn on my computer it randomly boots normal or doesn't even post(just fans and power led go on). If it doesn't post I turn it off and retry and retry and retry... until it works. The computer is now about 2 months old and it did that all of the time. Last 2 weeks or so I was also getting random freezes immediately after showing the desktop. Sometimes it just freezes, sometimes it gives strange artifacts for 5 secs or so and then screen goes black (I can get a picture if you want).

I tried updating the bios and using other vga card(12 year old Ati mach64 on pci) and it still does that.

specs are:

AMD Phenom X4 810
Asus M4A78T-E
no vga (yes I am still using integrated radeon 3300)
4gb ram
1tb hdd
a dvd writer
Corsair 650w psu

What is going on here? :pfff:

roonj

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2009
Well got plenty of power so lets go to ram, you've got 4 gigs, ? 2x2 or 4x1
Lets assume 2x2, motherboard default voltage is 1.5v for ram, most quality ram uses a slightly different value. Look at your ram packaging or look it up by the exact model number for the correct voltages. Next in the bios see if it is set to match what the ram manufacturer wants, No? Set the voltage manually or use EPP profile for both ram clock and voltage if bios offers it.
Noticed you said artifacts which typically is video card but since yours is IGP not as likely .

gramph

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2009
Yes the ram is 2x2gb, its a Mushkin PC3-12800 kit one. On the ram it says 1.65-1.7v. I set the voltage to 1.68, tried turning the computer off and on and it still did the same. Then I set it to 1.7v, tried, no success.

Btw, the ram is in slots 3 and 4 not in 1 and 2, could this be the problem? And I cannot put it into slots 1 and 2 because the cpu heatsink its in the way. I would need to cut off some heatsink fins to put it there.