Bizarre Issue with i7 2600k

vegettonox

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2006
Im generally new to overclocking although ive toyed around with it in the past, I have the GA-P67A-UD7-B3 motherboard and the i7 2600k. I found a stable overclock at 4.3ghz as I am not yet too keen on pushing it to the max and was tired of the adjustments to get it stable.

My system specifications and overclocking settings are as follows,

Coolmax 1200w psu
Dual evga 580sc graphics cards
I7 2600k cpu
GA-P67A-UD7-B3 motherboard
4 x 4GB Gskill 1600mhz memory modules
cooler master v8 with ocz freeze thermal compound as cooler
Cooler master HAF 922 case
2x 500GB hitachi 7200rpm hdds in raid 0
2x 60GB ocz agility 2 ssds in raid 0 (newest firmware) (connected to sata3 White)
2x generic sata dvd burners
6x various system fans

Overclocking settings.
(anything not listed was left on automatic)

-All cpu features are disabled except for hyperthreading,
-Voltage levels are set to automatic except for vccio which is set to 1.08v
-llc is set to level 1
-Memory is set to profile 1 xmp for 1600mhz

My problem is that after i had tired of testing i eventually just wanted to get my system running till i had more time but when i cleared the bios the cpu started registering as 3.5ghz at boot even though the multiplier still was at 34.

I found that if i disabled turbo mode the cpu would read properly so i was wondering if this means turbo mode is engaging at boot which would explain the discrepancy or what else might cause this a faulty board or cpu. The only issue is that after this happened I settled on the 4.3ghz clock and i ran prime 95 for 24 hours, OCCT for a default run and, linx for 20 passes using 2gigs of memory. I then ran memtest for 12 passes or 23 hours, followed by several passes of 3dmark 2011, i also completed an entire play through of darksiders. All of these ran with 0 errors or restarts and the temperature remained below 65*C.

My system was completely stable for a week or so then i saw the newly released bios f3 and noticed it listed a problem with reset causing system abnormality so i wanted to update. I updated the bios and then noticed that the line load calibration feature had been altered to 10 levels as opposed to the original 2. I attempted to re-stabilize my system at 4.3 and this is when all hell broke loose. I have been unable as of yet to re-stabilize my board and i noticed several times during testing that the system just crash and reboot yet other times i would get the generic bsods associated with overclocking. I re-flashed the bios back to the original f2 and even then my original overclock settings would not work for a stable system with the same crash and reboots at random times along with occasional freezing in the bios.

My assumption is that this is a sign of a failing power supply as the restarts are random in nature and a few times during this endless cycle my system would attempt an automatic restart and the power light would blink for 20-30 seconds before it would actually start post. Im rather confused and im trying to discern if this is a cpu, motherboard or psu issue although im rather set on the psu because when the system comes on it will boot just fine and run smoothly until one of these events which tells me the cpu is working. My only other possible is the motherboard please let me know what you think.

Ill add any other symptoms i can think of

Ocassionally i would hit the power button and the system might take 20sec to begin post and power on fans etc although i noticed the memory power lights would come on, this would occur only after a crash event not during normal operation aka a cold boot or general shutdown.

At the moment i cleared the bios and reconfigured the bios with my original stable 4.3ghz overclocking settings after i reseated the memory (although i doubt that will do anything) and it has been running prime 95 for the past 24 hours and a linpacks occt full 1 hour default run, followed by looping 3dmark 2011 in performance mode roughly 10 times. Is it possible that a string of bad overclocks could cause this whole mess because according to all general knowledge this means shes stable. I think the f3 bios is possibly a buggy one or what but idk all i know is it appears to be stable unless someone else has some insight, im going to copy my settings back down and just run the system as it is seeing as its finally apparently stable. If i run into more problems down the road hopefully then it will be more definitive as to what the cause is if it wasnt just my lack of experience with overclocking and/or a bad bios.

314 reads with no help? Well here goes.

If you're shooting for a serious overclock you'd probably need to also disable hyperthreading, but for curiosity sake what do you actually do with your computer besides run Prime95, OCCT, and Looped 3DM11, for way longer than necessary?

I mean are you a Gamer, or Video Encoder, or a professional benchmark and stress and diagnostic test runner?

Try my sig suggestion and see if it helps you, however if you're tired of testing booting and rebooting to get to a stable setting, it won't help you.