GA-EP45-UD3R LGA 775 (rev. 1.0)

Twist86

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2008
GIGABYTE GA-EP45-UD3R LGA 775 (rev. 1.0

So I installed windows 7 and I am unable to get my Media Keys and Volume Control to work on my G11 and someone told me I should update my bios because Windows 7 "demands" proper bios for support.

Now personally I don't think this is the problem but I want to make sure so I ask here.

I current use the first revision with F3 BIOS.

Link to my BIOS
http://www.gigabyte.us/Support/Motherboard/BIOS_Model.aspx?ProductID=2916#anchor_os

Do any of these newer bios actually do ANYTHING to help me on this issue? He also told me that there is a tool to update the bios from Windows to remove any risk of bricking my board while updating the bios.

I have never heard of this and I flash my bios the normal cd/flash drive method.

Thank you.

Solution
I often liken this to playing Russian Roulette... You might get away with pulling that trigger once, and only hear a 'click'... You might get away with it a second time, too... But by the third pull, the odds are starting to catch up with you - you keep on pulling that trigger, you WILL blow your brains out!

The underlying problem would appear to be that, unlike the other BIOS flashing methods, an @BIOS flash gone awry can overwrite the BIOS' boot block, which is the piece of the BIOS that, among other things, is responsible for the 'dual BIOS recovery' function; i.e., if your BIOS gets trashed, but the boot block remains intact, the boot block 'checksums' the 'working copy' of the BIOS (in EEROM, that you can flash), finds out it's...
D

Deleted member 217926

The CD that came with the board should have had the @BIOS utility included that allows updates through Windows.

I have no experience with the G11 but I have a Logitech Media Elite keyboard with volume controls and media keys ( play,ff,rewind ect. ) and it works fine with mine. I am running F8 BIOS and Windows 7 Ultimate x64 RC ( RC=release client that came out in May.....essentially the last beta). Seems like since it works with the RC it should work with retail.

Twist86

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2008
Well thank you for the help but I found the fix and here it is.

Go to Start, and type in “services.msc”.
Scroll down to “Human Interface Device Access”. Right click, go to properties.
Change the Startup Type to Automatic, and click the “Start” button. Press OK and close the services manager.
Try using your volume or media controls. All fixed!

Special thanks to the guy I stole this from biggardr @ MS forums.

bilbat

Splendid
and for god's sake, don't use @BIOS ever!

The way you're doing it is fine, and very dependable - if you 'lunch' a BIOS flash, you have an excellent chance of having the dualBIOS mechanism recover it - if @BIOS crashes, you likely have a brick on your hands...

http://forums.tweaktown.com/f69/bios-flashing-how-qflash-guide-27576/

G15s are notorious for being troublesome - that's why I'm using a G11 - could trade the LCD for the headaches any day (though, I have to say - if it was offered in blue when I bought the 11, I might have been too tempted, just 'cause I'd like to 'play' with the SDK, and see what useful I could find for it to do!) - have you updated the driver set lately? GB recently released a set of new BIOS for the X58 boards, just to deal with G15 compatibility issues...

D

Deleted member 217926

Huh....I have used @BIOS successfully dozens of times with no problems on many different Gigabyte boards. After reading that I guess I will not be using it anymore though!

bilbat

Splendid
I often liken this to playing Russian Roulette... You might get away with pulling that trigger once, and only hear a 'click'... You might get away with it a second time, too... But by the third pull, the odds are starting to catch up with you - you keep on pulling that trigger, you WILL blow your brains out!

The underlying problem would appear to be that, unlike the other BIOS flashing methods, an @BIOS flash gone awry can overwrite the BIOS' boot block, which is the piece of the BIOS that, among other things, is responsible for the 'dual BIOS recovery' function; i.e., if your BIOS gets trashed, but the boot block remains intact, the boot block 'checksums' the 'working copy' of the BIOS (in EEROM, that you can flash), finds out it's bad, 'reverts' to the 'backup copy' (in ROM, that you can't 'futz' with, short of a soldering iron!) and loads it, with a couple of 'flags' set, to remind it to tell you about the BIOS' problem, and offer you options to fix it... Once @BIOS trashes that boot block, your board is a brick - you can only use it to prop open a door (and a real, actual brick does a better job of that, too...)!!

Solution

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff

The problems are more vast than that. Gigabyte's biggest problem is that they don't let you select between BIOS, so it's just like the board has only one. Two or three chips don't count when the board consistently tries to boot from the third one.

And when it does switch to the backup BIOS, it typically happens when the first BIOS is bootable but an unrecognized version. Then it flashes the old BIOS from the second chip to the first chip.

A jumper could actually make the dual BIOS feature useful, but that would be too logical.