Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Question about IDE HDD and my Mobo.

Last response: in Motherboards
November 18, 2009 9:34:27 PM

Hi, I'm building a new computer using this mother board http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... (GA EP45 UDP3) and I was curious if my current and fairly old IDE harddrive will work with this mobo or if it will only accept SATA or whatever the newer standards are.

After looking at the specifications on new egg I couldn't find anything about IDE, only PATA and SATA (is pata the same as IDE)

Also I was curious if my DvD Rom which is also connected by a IDE cable (says ATAPI on the back of the dvd rom) can be connected to the mobo at the same time as the hard drive assuming that the HDD can even be connected. I'm on an extremely tight budget and can't afford to upgrade HDD or DvD at the moment and need to know if I will be able to even use this computer.

HDD: WDC WD400BB 00DEA0 (Connected to my old mobo using IDE cable)
DvD ROM: Toshiba SD m1212
New Mobo: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Basically my main goal is to upgrade my windows 2000 to XP without having to buy a new HDD, once the comp is hooked up I'm going to take the dvd rom out, I just need to know if it's possible to install XP on my HDD and use it on my new comp.

If it turns out that the mobo can only have 1 IDE device or w/e then would there be another way to install XP on my new comp? Like install it on the HDD before I hook everything up and then after the new hardware is connected run some kind of repair utility or something to recognize and configure the drivers for my new hardware?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

This is what I'm buying if it helps at all also.
CPU: E8400 3.0ghz core 2 duo wolfdale 6mb l2 cache
Mobo: GA EP45 UD3P
RAM: Patriot Viper II 4 GB (2 x 2) Dual channel, 1066MHZ PC8500
Vcard: Msi Radeon HD 4870 1GB

Once again thanks

More about : question ide hdd mobo

a b V Motherboard
November 18, 2009 10:40:44 PM

Board has one ide port providing a connection for (2) ide devices. So OK
m
l
November 18, 2009 10:47:15 PM

ah just noticed that

thanks
m
l
Related resources
November 18, 2009 10:48:25 PM

While I'm here I might as well ask another question.

Since I'm building a new comp should I upgrade to XP before I hook all the new hardware up and run a repair (would that even work?)

Or should I format it right before and then after everything is hooked up just install XP.

thx
m
l

Best solution

a c 177 V Motherboard
November 18, 2009 10:55:00 PM

Both IDEs will work OK, together, on one cable... Your chances of getting the original drive to boot with the new motherboard, much less do an upgrade - slim to none; my suggestion - install Xp to a cheap, new, SATA drive:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
with the old HD disconnected, then once Xp is in, hook up the old drive, and move your old files to a location on the new drive under one directory (folder); then attach and reformat the old drive, and move the files back to it, using it as a dedicated 'data' drive...

In case you're not clear about IDE cabling/jumpering:

Here's an IDE cable:
M|----------|------|D
M1---------2-----3D
The 'M' end is the motherboard connector; the 'D' end goes to the drives.
There are two kinds of cables: 'standard' (on which the drives are jumpered to identify them), and 'cable select' (on which the cable itself sorts out the drive IDs).

If there are no labels (often, a large plastic or fabric 'pull-tab') saying 'master' and 'slave' on connectors 2 and 3, you have a 'standard' cable - jumper as follows:
it doesnt matter what connector goes to what; your primary (boot) HDD will need to be jumpered as 'master' [MSTR] on the drive; your secondary (or ODD) gets jumpered as 'slave' [SLV] on the drive.

If there are labels saying 'master' and 'slave' on connectors 2 and 3, you have a 'cable select' cable - jumper as follows:
Both drives get jumpered as [CSEL] on the drive; your primary (boot), or only, in the case of just one, goes on connector 3, which should be labeled 'master'; your secondary (or ODD) goes on connector 2, which should be labeled 'slave'; connector 1 goes to your MOBO IDE port...

Now, boot, do a <DEL> to get into the BIOS, and go to the 'Integrated Peripherals' page - set 'Onboard SATA/IDE Device' to 'Enabled'; set 'Onboard SATA/IDE Ctrl Mode' to 'IDE'; go to the 'Advanced BIOS Features' page, select 'Hard Disk Boot Priority', and hit <ENTER>; select your boot drive from the list; set 'First Boot Device' to 'CDROM', 'Second Boot Device' to 'Hard Disk', and you should be good to go...
a c 195 V Motherboard
November 18, 2009 10:58:30 PM

Ok as roonj stated you have 1 IDE port with support for 2 devices. Make sure the HD is configured to master and the DVD drive to slave. PATA and IDE are the same thing.
Any older HD especially IDE will be a bottleneck for that computer....I would recommend getting a new SATA drive as soon ASAP. Very similar to what I am running except IDE HD....it should be pretty fast.
You are going to have to do a clean install of XP. No way around that if you change motherboards. So save your data somewhere first then format the drive and install XP after the new build.
That E-8400 is an overclocking champ especially with the Gigabyte EP45 series of motherboards. A good guide is here http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/240001-29-howto-overc...
m
l
November 18, 2009 11:25:39 PM

awesome thx for the help
m
l
November 18, 2009 11:34:25 PM

Btw, what if I lost the little pull tabs that set the HDD and DVD to master and slave?

Is there a place to buy some or a way to improvise such as wrapping a little bit of copper coil or something around the two pins that the pull tab would go on? lol

Thx
m
l
a c 177 V Motherboard
November 19, 2009 12:24:17 AM

If you know you had tags, it's no problem - I'm pretty dure that, uniformly, the far cable connector is Master (sometimes called Primary), and the middle one is Slave (or Secondary); as for the connector doohickies (I think that's the technical term :pt1cable:  ) at the 'sides' of the cable - be fairly careful with them; there is a kind of a bar that runs across the cable, and it will sometimes pop loose at one end, or both, if you grasp by the flat cable itself to pull them off a drive; this is not a serious problem, they'll relock; but if you manage to break off one of the end tabs, you're screwed - the cable is pretty much guaranteed to soon be history! How they work is that, beneath the bar, for each pin, there is a little 'y' shaped, two-toothed pointed connection - the pressure of the bar (and some clamping force at the original insertion) actually causes these 'teeth' to pierce the insulation, and make contact with each of the wires in the flat cable; once that 'clamping force', provided by the retainers at the ends of the bar, is gone, sure as hell, the individual wires will 'wiggle' their way out, and you'll start getting intermittent drive problems due to the 'lost' contacts...
m
l
November 19, 2009 11:38:31 AM

Thanks for the reply, I should have specified that by pull tabs I meant jumpers (didn't know what they were called.)

So I have an IDE cable, 2 IDE devices and no jumpers to set MSTR and SLV, I tried it without jumpers on my old asus mobo but it doesn't work on just one IDE cable, I'm not sure if its because I don't have jumpers or if its because my mobo can't function right with 2 IDE devices on the same cable, my old motherboard has two IDE slots on the mobo so I hook up the HDD to IDE1 and DvD to IDE2 and it works perfectly, I am able to boot from the dvd but if i put both of them on the same cable and just hook it up to IDE1 it shows up in the bios but neither of the devices are bootable for some reason.

Once again thanks for the replies.
m
l
a c 177 V Motherboard
November 19, 2009 1:07:53 PM

Email your address to me at bilbat@wi.rr.com and I'll toss some in the mail - I've been doing systems since the late eighties, and have accumulated, like, six or eight thousand of the damned things... I think they breed; I have blue ones up the wazoo, and no matter how many I toss out, they keep multiplying - but I've got only one yellow one, and I never get any more of those! Come to think of it, that raises the issue of why they don't get together and make little green ones? :pt1cable: 
m
l
November 19, 2009 1:23:45 PM

bilbat said:
Email your address to me at bilbat@wi.rr.com and I'll toss some in the mail - I've been doing systems since the late eighties, and have accumulated, like, six or eight thousand of the damned things... I think they breed; I have blue ones up the wazoo, and no matter how many I toss out, they keep multiplying - but I've got only one yellow one, and I never get any more of those! Come to think of it, that raises the issue of why they don't get together and make little green ones? :pt1cable: 

Greatly appreciated sir, thank you. Sent you an email.
m
l
a c 177 V Motherboard
November 19, 2009 2:22:42 PM

In the mail! Ya know - when I went & looked in the little box, there were three yellow ones! ;)  (but still no little green ones - maybe they divide like amoebas...) I sent you five - you'll need one or two for your drives; put the other three in a little box in a dark place, and soon, you'll have a box-full, too!
m
l
November 19, 2009 2:58:20 PM

Yeah thanks man, greatly appreciated.
m
l
!