How is this CPU+BD+OS+HDD combo deal

visakkus

Distinguished
May 27, 2009
This is my frist post, please be gentle if I am sounding like an idiot.

I am planning build a new i7-920 system shortly, while browsing through various forum threads, I have decided the must have components in the build at the same time I came across this system from Dell Outlet.

Is it a good idea to buy this system and rip the required components and keep the other stuff for future HTPC(2 months later)..?

http://outlet.us.dell.com/ARBOnline...mId=FCLE3PDJ&~lt=popup&c=us&l=en&s=dfh&cs=22
Above system $719 - 15%off + TAX +FS = $653

The definitely the following components and if I buy them from newegg/ewiz, the costs as follows
Processor - i7-920 - $269
BD Burner - $159
640 GB HD - $65
OS - $99 (I need 64-Bit Vista only)
Keyboard & Mouse - $25
TOTAL - $617

I still have Case, PSU, RAM, Video Card available to build either a HTPC OR HardDrive rack I am planning to build as a side, OR Give it to any people looking for components.

Please let me know if this is such a bad idea..?

Thanks in advance
Siva

xthekidx

Splendid
Dec 24, 2008
Eh not so much...Its not a terrible deal, but not really a good one either.

If you got that system, you would end up with a locked BIOS. Meaning you wouldn't be able to adjust the frequency of the i7 CPU or the ram. The PSU that comes with those systems usually isn't the greatest either, and those cases aren't particularly well cooled. If overclocking isn't something that interests you, then its not a bad deal, but if you are planning on doing a homebuilt, you should be planning on overclocking to make your money worth it on the i7.

kubes

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2008
I really don't think its the best idea.
Reasons:
1) it's only got 4gbs of ram meaning its using dual channel instead of tripple channel.
2) the 640gb hard drive is most likely not the WD Black hard drive.
3) do you really need a Blue ray burner? Maybe a dvd burner would work just as fine?
4) dell keyboards and mouses arn't all that great.
5) Locked bios - ick

Really the only two things I think you could reuse out of that dell box would be the lincese for the OS, and the cpu. And if i remember correctly dell doesn't actually give you an OEM cd for the OS. They give you one for dell computers only so you'll have to hunt down a cd that will work in your machince in the first place.

visakkus

Distinguished
May 27, 2009
I think I wasn't clear earlier,
I am really going to toss out MOBO and other components.

I will build a different system with Antec case with 900/1200W , ASUS P6T Deluxe MOBO ,12GB RAM
ATI 2GB 4870/4890 Video Card.

I just want to get an idea, if I can atleast use the above mentioned components is it the price worth.

On the othe side instead of throwing remaining components out I will plan a HTPC with the available components.

In either of the cases MOBO is thrown into grabage.

Hope I am clear this time

visakkus

Distinguished
May 27, 2009

1) I am not using this RAM for the home built PC, either goes into trash OR into HTPC
2) Well though this is not WD Black, it is Hitachi, at least it should be a good one because this is OS Drive supplied by Dell
3)I may not need Blu Ray Burner, but I definitely need a Blu Ray ROM
4)KB & Mouse are just a starting point, I would eventually go for Wireless.
5)BIOS - MOBO goes into trashcan
6)Licensed OS is one of the main thing for me.
7)Dell gives only OS DVD, which already installed on HD, but not Microsoft OEM

kubes

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2008
Ya, I have to agree still that even if you'd like to reuse most of the parts for an HTPC it's not the best buy in my eyes. I understand where your coming from but as thekid noted, "you can buy better components for less tha[n] you would[] end up tossing in the trash." I'm sure this isn't exactly what you want to here but, its just the truth behind this senerio.

In general my view about buying dell's, hp's, ect... is that if you plan on doing upgrades or ripping parts out ever then you should just build your own from the start.

Sorry i'm not trying to rub off as a prick, but just giving you the advise from my expernices that's all.

visakkus

Distinguished
May 27, 2009
Well if that is the truth, then I would politely accept it.
I know that I am a newbee, never built a system, so trying different scenarios.

Respect your opinions.
Shortly I will consolidate my list of preferred components(wish list) and post another thread.

Thanks everyone