Need a quiet, small PSU. Which one?

Hey guys I'm just in the process of completing my new build computer in a mATX case and have come across an issue with the size of my existing PSU so need a new one. My set-up for my new build is as follows:

Processor: AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition 3.2 GHz Socket AM3 8MB (with Arctic Cooling Freezer-64-LP Dual Cooling Low Profile Processor Cooler)
Motherboard: ASUS M4A785TD-M EVO
Memory: Kingston 8 GB (4X2GB) DDR3 1333MHz HyperX Memory Kit CL7 1.5V
Hard Drive: 1 TB RAID 0 Set-up – 2 x Western Digital WD5000KS 500GB SATA II 7200RPM 16MB Cache
Graphics Card: On-board (may upgrade at later date)
DVD Drive: LG GDR-8164BL 16x52 DVD-ROM
DVD-RW Drive: Liteon LH-20A 1H-487C 20x DVD-RW/DL Lightscribe
Operating Software: Microsoft Windows Vista Ultimate 64Bit

I want to know what power PSU I should get for this set-up firstly. The actual PSU I want has to be maximum length 14cm and I'm after the quietest PSU the better. Anyone got any suggestions?
9 answers Last reply
More about need quiet small
  1. I've also got a TV tuner, floppy disk drive and card reader attached also. Doubt it'd make too much difference to the power required but thought I'd mention it.
  2. Well, you certainly do not need very much power. No problem there.

Which micro atx case do you have? It would help if we knew so that we could check spcifications and look at photos of the interior of the case.
  3. No worries. Well it's a Jeantech Media Cube. There is a link to it here: http://www.eclipsecomputers.com/product.aspx?code=CAJ-JNM218&af=50
  4. Okay! The case is advertised as suitable for home theater use.

In the second link you provided the web page has a link to power supplies suitable for the case. Did you take a look at that? Dimensions are given for each psu:

http://jeantech.com/power.htm

I am not familiar with the jeantech power supplies so I cannot make a recommendation. Perhaps someone in your part of the world would be able to advise you.
  5. Thanks for that Johnny. From doing some research I now know the case can carry a normal size PSU unit and it doesn't have to be Jeantech specific.

Therefore can you make any suggestions on what power PSU I should be looking at picking up and which one is the quietest. Corsair? Coolermaster? OCZ?
  6. When I looked at the jeantech power supplies I noticed that some of them appeared to be standard atx power supplies. Generally speaking the recommendations are usually for Corsair, PC Power & Cooling, Seasonic, Antec Earthwatts series, and several others. Technical reviews can be found at jonnyguru.com

Here's a link to a web site with technical reviews that include quiet power supplies:

http://www.silentpcreview.com/section10.html

Look around the web site. You might find something interesting.
  7. Thanks for that. What power PSU should I really be looking at for my requirements?
    300W? 400W? 500W?
  8. With onboards graphics you would not need much power. However, you did mention the possibility of adding a graphics card later. The general rule of thumb is that a high quality 500 to 550 watt power supply with sufficient current (amps) on the twelve volt rail(s) can easily handle ant single video card made.

Corsair, PC Power & Cooling, and Seasonic are brands with a reputation for high quality power supplies. They consistently earn high marks in technical reviews. if you are on a tight budget, then the Antec Earthwatt series would be a good alternative.
Ask a new question

Read More

Power Supplies Components