Right now I'm running it in the same system, but with only one GTX275. Apparently no issues regarding power... Computer online 24/7 for almost two weeks now without a single reboot, playing all sorts of games, video encoding, office, internet and all the usual stuff... I'm thinking about adding the second 275, but I'm not sure if the PSU will hold up or blow up.
If I have to change the PSU too, maybe I will Step-Up the GTX275 for one GTX295, assuming that one 295 would draw less power than 2 275 (and also that this would work...)
Could you please help me not having a time-bomb at home, just wating for that extra-click to explode?!
And if you are wondering why do i recommend these antec before the corsair...... well because the corsair has a maximun theoritical of 60 Amps and the antecs have the signature 240 Amps and the cp 300Amps, sooo even though the wattage is less they are better builded, also theyr ripple and noise supression and voltage control is better.
Thanks a bunch for the feedback! Really appreciated it.
Just a few more questions, since now you have shared with me more things to consider....
You're right that my PSU has only two PCIe 6 pin. That would feed one GTX 275, but I will have to use adaptors for the other one and the 8800GT... These adaptors uses two molex 4 pin for each 6 pin PCIe... That means that I will need 6 Molex 4 Pin to feed the whole thing, on the top of the two PCIe 6 pin...
There is no way that I will have 6 "independent" cables that I can put together to feed this whole thing. I will have to use two or more of each cable that I have in the PSU that has Molex connectors. Would that be of a problem or am I just being stupid?
Now, one other idea came to mind in the meantime. I just bought this GTX 275 a few weeks ago and I have 100 days before my BFG Step Up program expires. I payed 240$ on this GTX and, just as an example, one GTX295 in today's pricing is about 550$ or so. Let's say that Windows 7 comes within these 100 days left and, by chance nVidia comes with a new DirectX 11 card.
Even paying premium price on the new card just because they will be very fresh, most likely I would have to invest about 250-300$ to step up the GTX275 to the new one, assuming that a new card would come close to GTX 295 prices... And again theoretically I would not need to upgrade the PSU (which would save some $$)
If I buy now a new PSU around 200ish $, plus a new GTX275 at 250$ it will be significantly more than my step-up route described above...
I may be too much forward thinking here, but maybe you guys can share with me your thoughts.... What you guys think?
Thanks again for the help!
BTW, If anybody is considering a GTX275, please don't be afraid. The card is awesome! The only reason that I am thinking in another one is just because I am stupid enough to not settle down and enjoy what I already have.... I really need to control my spending habits, but this whole PC building thing is almost like drugs... (sorry for the poor example/joke)
I think stepping up to the gtx295 might be your best option.
It's performance will be somewhat like two GTX275 cards in sli, without the power issue.
It will run everything well.
Stepping up, you have to pay retail for the new card, but the GTX295 is not dropping in price, it seems to have a supply problem.
It may be that nvidia is planning to change the manufacturing on the card to put it all on one pcb.
I expect the next high end cards to show up nearer the end of the year.
Should you get the itch to get a new card then, I would think you could still get good value for a gtx295.