[New System Build] $800-$1000 CDN Multi-purpose, *NON*-gaming

EvanC

Distinguished
May 28, 2009
Hi All!

First post here, I've done my best to follow the guidelines and provide as much information as possible.

I am building a multi-purpose computer for the office, which will be used for mainly programming, web development, photoshop, etc. No gaming :pt1cable:

Something that is very important to me is a smooth multi-monitor setup. Two monitors is minimum, if I could somehow hook up 3 monitors that would kick ass.

Approximate Purchase Date: ASAP! Tonight or tomorrow, I want to get my order in before the weekend.

System Usage: Web Development, Photoshop, Virtualization of multiple OSs at once for cross-platform testing, and the usual stuff like watching movies, ripping DVDs, listening to music on a nice speaker setup.

Parts Not Required: Any peripherals including keyboards, mice, monitors, speakers, etc.

Preferred Website: I'm in Canada, newegg.ca is new and looks good :)

Overclocking: No. I have absolutely no idea what I'm doing and don't really have any interest in getting involved with OCing. I need a stable, reliable system more than anything else.

SLI or Crossfire: Yes if this means I can get a triple-monitor setup. That would rock.

Aditional Comments: I'm not a gamer! I don't play games and I don't really have any interest in playing games.

OK so now that I have followed the rules, here is what I am thinking. I must keep this under $1000 Canadian.

Processor: AMD Phenom II X4 940 Deneb 3.0GHz 4 x 512KB L2 Cache 6MB L3 Cache Socket AM2+ 125W Quad-Core Black Edition Processor - Retail
$229.99

This looks like a good processor because it is reasonably priced and gives me a quad-core setup and a decent clock rate. I am concerned about lack of DDR3 support (is this correct?).

Graphics: HIS Hightech H483FN512P Radeon HD 4830 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card - Retail
$105.99

This card is just over $100 which seems reasonable to me, good specs compared to cards which are slightly under $100, and two DVI ports.

Mobo: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P AM3/AM2+/AM2 AMD 790X ATX AMD Motherboard - Retail
$144.99

This is a cheapo motherboard which seems to do everything. The thing is I don't really know! There were a lot of mobos to choose from. I don't really know which motherboard I should get and I'm certainly not tied down to any brands. What would you recommend?

RAM: Kingston HyperX T1 Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Retail
$68.49

I don't really know much about RAM, but this looks like it has good specs, is compatible with the AMD 940, and is reasonably priced.

Case: Antec Three Hundred Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Retail
$63.99

Cheapo case with good reviews. I think it'll fit all my stuff.

Power Supply Antec earthwatts EA500 500W Continuous Power ATX12V v2.0 SLI Certified CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Power Supply - Retail
$87.49

I don't really know what I'd look for in a good power supply. This one was cheap.

Harddrive Western Digital Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive - OEM
$79.99

Standard.

Disc Drive Sony Optiarc Black SATA DVD/CD Rewritable Drive - OEM
$32.99

Standard.

OK so that's my list. What do you think? The total is $813.92 which is great! It also means I have a *little* bit of room to play with. I am very open to ideas and suggestions and am not tied down to any brands. If you want to scratch everything I have here and tell me I've done it completely wrong, please do :) . Remember the price is in Canadian dollars, $813 would be a little high for this system in USD ;)

Thanks very very much!

-- Evan

EvanC

Distinguished
May 28, 2009
Anyone?

I am thinking a 790FX mobo will be better than a 790X, however I don't think I'll be using the extra PCIe slots at all. Are there any other differences between the two models?

xthekidx

Splendid
Dec 24, 2008
Your selections look very good so far. You obviously did some homework.

CPU-Good. You might consider getting an aftermarket cooler and overclocking a little bit. Its really not that hard, and there are lots of guides online to guide you through it. There is much more risk in building a PC than overclocking it in general, and its a free performance upgrade. The 940 overclocks very well, and it would be a shame to miss out on that boost.

MB-Good. Don't get 790FX, the only real difference is that you have a lot more PCIex16 slots, and it only makes sense for big time gamers, which you are not. the 790x will serve all your needs just fine. That gigabyte MB is one of the best for Phenom II 940. Decent cheap cooler: http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835185125&Tpk=freezer%2064

GPU-good, but the 4770 would be better, much lower power consumption. Although you don't really need that much graphics power it sounds like, so you might consider going with a 4670. If you want to hook up 3 monitors, then you will need to get two graphics cards, but don't run them in crossfire. Just use them unlinked, and you will support up to 4 monitors. When running in crossfire mode, you will only be able to use two displays. You can also get two different GPU's, like a 4830 and a 4350, using the more powerful GPU for the dual monitors.

Ram-not bad, but I would go with this because it uses lower voltages, which is an indication of higher quality ram
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231166

Case-good. You might consider the Antec Sonata III, which comes with the same PSU you are considering. Its a nice modest case and priced well, also pretty quiet.

PSU-good

HDD-good. It can be a little noisy, so if that matters to you you might consider a Hitachi drive, which are pretty quiet.

DVD Drive-I prefer LG or Samsung, but they are pretty much all the same, that one should be fine.

EvanC

Distinguished
May 28, 2009
Thanks xthekidx and deadboots!

The 4770 looks like a very powerful card but as xthekidx mentioned I don't need the power. Right now there's a 4770 in my cart but I'll have to think about if I want a 4670 instead, it's $50 cheaper. Which means for the same price I can get a 4670 and a 4350.

Great tip on the Antec Sonata! I'm going to go with that.

Thanks for the heads up about the RAM and the harddrive too. I'm going to stick with the WD but I switched out the Kingston RAM for the G-Skill.

Here's the current list:
Processor: AMD Phenom II X4 940 Deneb 3.0GHz 4 x 512KB L2 Cache 6MB L3 Cache Socket AM2+ 125W Quad-Core Black Edition Processor - Retail

Graphics: GIGABYTE GV-R477D5-512H-B Radeon HD 4770 512MB 128-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card - Retail

Mobo: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P AM3/AM2+/AM2 AMD 790X ATX AMD Motherboard - Retail

RAM: G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Retail

Case & Power Supply: Antec Sonata III 500 Black 0.8mm cold rolled steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case 500W Power Supply - Retail

Harddrive Western Digital Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive - OEM

Disc Drive Sony Optiarc Black SATA DVD/CD Rewritable Drive - OEM (It's all newegg.ca seems to have)

Cooler ARCTIC COOLING Freezer 64 Pro 92mm CPU Cooler - Retail

After taxes and shipping it comes out to $983.55.

It looks like I have a pretty tight list but it looks like I won't be actually be placing the order until tomorrow afternoon, so if anyone else has any feedback please do not hold back! :)

Thanks again for the help guys.