What is HP RECOVERY (D:) partition?

pwrhamr

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2009
Have a HP laptop (win7 64bit). Opened disk management and found 11.70GB's is partitioned as "HP RECOVERY (D:)" on my HDD.

What is it and do I need it?

tecmo34

Administrator
1) It is basically your dedicated system restore location in case you have to use Windows system restore back to a later date.

2) Is it needed is up to you. If you backup your data often & don't come across many errors than it is probably not need. If you find yourself doing a lot of "restores" than it is probably worth it.

fastx21

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2010
As said it is a partition with the imaged files (and perhaps the backup software as well).

Certainly you can delete it but we suggest that you leave it alone.

What is a backup partition? Say you totally screwed up your windows with a ton of virus' spyware and who knows what else. In that case you can start the restore option and re-install your windows to brand new.

Is that useful? To the average user yes.

elmicnip

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2011
I know this is an old thread but my situation is slightly different. I upgraded from Windows Vista to 7 on my laptop a few months ago and it retained the partition, which I did not want ($30 upgrade with a verifiable student e-mail account, well worth it). I did a clean install, so there is no HP software on my drive (thank goodness). Is it okay if I wipe it and use the space? Under properties it shows that I am using 10.4G of 11.9G, but there are no files in this partition. Even if I unhide my files it has nothing. I have a system restore disk and I manually backup (image and data) on a regular basis. Regular for me is about once every 1-2 weeks depending on what programs I have installed or uninstalled. I could really use the space on this laptop since it only has a 160G HDD. Furthermore, if it really does contain the original HP image and/or Vista then I can honestly say that I do not want it.