reddin

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2009
Hi,

Here's my problem: I recently swapped my old Intel E6300 for a Q9550 and ever since that moment my PC keeps crashing under heavy load (like cpu testing using everest)

I tried updating my bios but that didn't solve the problem, resetting the CMOS or just loading the BIOS defaults didn't do the trick eather.

All temps seem to be well within normal limits and I never tried overclocking or anything.

I did first try to install a gtx260 and a watercooling system, but only used the PC once with that config, because it crashed from the moment I logged on to windows. Not sure but could this have fried my PSU?
after that I just took everything out and replaced it with my current setup.

also once my pc has crashed, I can boot normally but it then even crashes under normal load.
my best guess so far was the PSU, but I removed as much power consuming gear from my pc as I could and it still keeps occuring.

I'm getting kindda desperate out here so please any help would be welcome.

greetz and thanks in advance
Reddin

P.S. : sorry for my bad English, I'm from Belgium

My gear:

Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 QUAD CPU Q9550 @ 2.83GHz
Memory: 8192MB DDR2-800 DDR2 SDRAM
Hard Drive: Hitachi HDT721075SLA SCSI Disk Device (698 GB)
Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce 9300 GE (256 MB)
Sound Card: Realtek Onboard 8-channel HD audio
Operating System: Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit (6.1, Build 7600) (7600.win7_rtm.090713-1255)
Motherboard: Asus P5N-D
Computer Case: Thermaltake Armor+ VH6000BWS
PSU:Antec 580W

What's the CPU & RAM voltage set at?, I'm assuming that you have checked to make sure that the Q9550 is fully supported?, I reckon it would be but I'm to lazy/drunk to look (your fault for brewing Stella Artios :) ).

xaira

Distinguished
did you test that water cooling setup b4 u used it?
try a diff psu altogether or try that psy in another setup, itll take alot to sstrain 750w
wen all else fails, install xp, or use a bootup linux and stress it and see if it crashes, what r normal temps?

reddin

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2009

according to Everest:

CPU Core 1.26 V
+3.3 V 3.28 V
+5 V 4.97 V
+12 V 11.97 V

and yeah I checked, the Q9550 was fully supported with version of the BIOS and I updated just to make sure

Ah Stella Artois, great beer but you should try Jupiler, It's even better :)

reddin

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2009

I checked for leaks (by letting only the water cooling run inside my case, nothing else) and it turned out to be ok.
After my PC started failing I took it out anyway, thinking it consumed to much power. Didn't change anything.

I'll try a different PSU just to be sure.

normal temps using regular aircooling:
-Idle: 30° C
-Load: 45- 50 °C

reddin

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2009
Seems like I did actually fry my PSU, I replaced it with a mere 350W PSU and everything worked like a charm.
Guess I'll have to spend some more of my hard earned money on computer gear.

anyway a huge thank you to mousemonkey and xaira for all the help