9400 gt terrifying overheating

frickfrock99

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2009
So heres the deal, I usually leave my comp on overnight, its usually downloading things or maintaining, etc.
So recently I left it on for about 112 hours, I decide to switch it off.
Up till this point, my 9400 gt 1 gig had worked great, assasin's creed, trackmania, all worked and looked great.
However, after I turned my pc back on, every game I tried to play was ridiculously slow and unplayable.
Usually, its good for a few minutes, then it lags horribly.
I've only had this card for a month or so just so you know.
I've been monitoring with speedfan, and since the event this is what happens.
At start= 63 C
Gameplay= 104-107 C
Back to desktop, EVEN AFTER THE GAME IS CLOSED=101 C

I've tried a system restore, but it keeps failing
I've uninstalled and reinstalled the latest drivers but no luck.

Any help?

jennyh

Splendid
104C is too high, for a 9400gt it's way too high. Does it actually have a fan or it is passively cooled?

If it has a fan, give it a good clean. Make sure the fan is actually spinning too - at those temps it's probably not = RMA.

Remove card from PC, check fan spins freely if one is fitted, remove heatsink, clean off old thermal paste, apply fresh thermal paste, refit heatsink, refit card power up PC if problem is still present replace card.

frickfrock99

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2009
Okay well I popped open the case and the fan wasn't running at all, even when I started up a game, it rocketed up to 104 temp.
Before I do anything, what extacly should I do to the fan/card to make it work?

Yup, looks like you fan died. It probably died when you left it on for that long period of time. If you move it with your finger and it starts spinning then you could take off the fan, with the system off and unplugged of course, peel the sticker and seal on the fan, and add a little Zoom oil to help those ball bearing along. It's only a temporary solution though. You really need to replace the fan at the least. I suppose you could replace the heatsink and fan to put a better one on there.