Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Windows 7 memory not reading correctly...

Last response: in Overclocking
April 14, 2011 5:55:35 AM

Hey all!

I recently upgraded my system with the following specs:

Asus Sabertooth X58 Motherboard
Intel i7 970@ 3.20 ghz
G-Skill (f3-10666CL9D-8GBRL) 16GB DDR3 memory (4x 4GB)
Scythe Mugen x2 CPU cooler
Windows 7 Pro X64

My problem is that sometimes when windows boots, it only reads my ram as 8GB whereas other times it reads the full 16gb. I also noticed that if Windows is reading 8GB (through My Computer - Properties), CPUZ actually reads it as 16GB. I'm not sure if this is just a faulty reading through windows or if this is actually an issue where my ram isn't being used to its full potential.

Any ideas whats causing it and how to fix the problem? Someone said it might be due to the CPU cooler being seated either too tight or too loose???

Thanks!

a b $ Windows 7
April 14, 2011 6:29:29 AM

Its more likely that your RAM is not playing well with Win 7. Make sure your RAM is matched up in terms of timings and brand. If that is all correct then potentially a BIOS upgrade is required. If that does not work you may have to swap the RAM out for another Brand that will work better with your board.
a b } Memory
a b K Overclocking
April 14, 2011 12:06:56 PM

I have had the same experience when I cleaned out my PC recently. Windows detects the full 4GB (then) of RAM, but only 2 GB is "usable". Turns out I haven't inserted the modules all the way through, so it only probably detects the presence and size, but can't use it.

I suggest you check the modules and make sure that they are in all the way through in the slots.
Related resources
April 14, 2011 4:54:13 PM

Oh yeah, ram is fully inserted. I'm not new to building computers by any means. All of the ram is the same brand and exact same timing etc. That's why I bought it.
My motherboard does support triple channel memory but I'm only using the first two slots for all the ram, maybe this is the problem? I'm planning to buy another 8GB kit in a week or so.

http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/Intel_Socket_1366/SABE...
a b } Memory
a b $ Windows 7
a b K Overclocking
April 14, 2011 5:03:00 PM

gracefully said:
I have had the same experience when I cleaned out my PC recently. Windows detects the full 4GB (then) of RAM, but only 2 GB is "usable". Turns out I haven't inserted the modules all the way through, so it only probably detects the presence and size, but can't use it.

I suggest you check the modules and make sure that they are in all the way through in the slots.

LOL

How could you not have the memory all the way in the slots?? The latches wont close unless it's in all the way. OMG
a b } Memory
a b K Overclocking
April 15, 2011 12:19:46 AM

^The latches are closed, but the modules somehow used the middle of the slot as a fulcrum and the lower part of the modules eased out. I don't know if it's a fault in my motherboard's design (insert lower end fully, insert upper end fully), but in any case, I'm aware of it now. Like the OP I'm not new to building computers, it's just that the motherboard had a dirty trick up its sleeve.

@topic
Maybe one of the slots is faulty?
April 22, 2011 12:01:16 AM

So no other ideas besides a BIOS update and swapping out the brand of ram?
a b } Memory
a b K Overclocking
April 25, 2011 10:21:50 AM

Does your motherboard require some slots to be filled first? My mobo doesn't boot unless I fill up the blue slots before the black ones.
April 25, 2011 10:46:41 AM

Not that I'm aware of. I just loaded them into the adjacent slots in sequence so it goes Chip A, Chip C, Chip B, Chip D where A and B are a pair and C and D are a pair.

But in all honesty the ram is exactly the same save for the fact that the dimms came in separate packages so it shouldn't be an issue. The only thing I can think of is that because I'm only using 4 of 6 available slots there's a problem but I was hoping to find some confirmation of that here.

Best solution

a b } Memory
a b K Overclocking
April 27, 2011 1:15:11 AM

Try a different combo of slots, I guess? If the structure of the slots are A-D, B-E, C-F, where ABC is one channel and DEF is the other, and you are currently using AB, then try BC, DE, and EF. The motherboard won't like AC and DF, I think.
a b } Memory
a b $ Windows 7
a c 239 K Overclocking
April 27, 2011 6:26:05 AM

you have to do with dual channel only, you have a motherboard that only supports 3 channel, try with two-channel mode and then add another dual slot ram again to try with a back and forth.
April 27, 2011 3:55:00 PM

I'm already using dual channel only. Do I have to change a setting in the BIOS for this though? If that's the case, wouldn't adding an extra two dimms (and filling all the slots) fix the problem?
April 29, 2011 10:54:55 PM

I have a similar issue.
Motherboard: Asus Maximus III Formula.
CPU: i7-860

I just replaced my memory with Corsair Vengeance (Blue) 4x4GB DDR3-1600 Dual Channel modules.
My BIOS says I have only 8GB usable.

How can I get my system to be able to use the full amount of RAM?
May 11, 2011 4:57:38 AM

Oh right! Gracefully makes a very good point that I somehow missed before... I was thinking in terms of dual channel memory in that it would be ordered AC - BD - EF how stupid of me. So yeah it probably is because I'm only using A, D, B and E. out of the entire AD - BE - CF combo. I'll change it tomorrow morning and see what happens. Funny that it was reading the full 16 gigs some of the time and that CPUz can still see the fully amount of memory.

May 18, 2011 5:51:34 PM

Ok, so after trying to re-configure the RAM as I thought it should go and THAT didn't work (my comp wouldn't even boot) I decided to Read The F**king Manual. My god was it useful :p 

What I never would have guessed is that every second slot (starting from next to the CPU) is actually slot 1 for A, B and C and that the combination isn't AC - BD - EF but its actually A2 A1 - B2 B1 - C2 C1. This makes a huge difference when you're installing ram that's not going to be in a triple channel configuration.

Anyway, thought I'd post this scan from my manual to help anyone else out. Keep in mind that your motherboard may be set up differently but this is a good guide for understanding none the less.
May 18, 2011 5:54:12 PM

Best answer selected by TorQueMoD.
January 5, 2012 11:20:39 PM

jebuchanan said:
I have a similar issue.
Motherboard: Asus Maximus III Formula.
CPU: i7-860

I just replaced my memory with Corsair Vengeance (Blue) 4x4GB DDR3-1600 Dual Channel modules.
My BIOS says I have only 8GB usable.

How can I get my system to be able to use the full amount of RAM?

I have the exact same problem with the same board, memory and process! Did you EVER find a solution? I have not.
!