Unable to safely remove external hdd.

reneftw

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2011
First of all, hello!
Second, I am unable to remove my external HDD (Samsung S2). I installed Usb safely remove, but without any success. It won't work with forced stop either. I think I found out what application blocks the removal, but I do not understand much. I attach the printscreens, hopefully someone will explain me what can I do.

uv49ax2dw3knt9amg9.png

6d4culkdyuoxvbvasomb.png

reneftw

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2011
The settings you mentioned were already made.
The led won't stop, it is continuously on, although the hdd won't work when I don't use it, as I don't feel it vibrating as usual.
I reinstalled my Windows a few days ago. I had the problem on the old windows too and I had to stop "Trkwks" process from Services. But now, it won't work that way.

0cvq9m7g8xhyb6tzctm.png

asamarcos

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2011

Go to windows explorer, select HDD properties and disable "allow files on this drive to have content indexed...".

That will permit you to remove the driver safely.

sutabh

Honorable
Jan 20, 2013

I had the same issue with all my external drives. Normally this sort of issues occurs when the files in the drive is still in use. But along with this issue I cdn't create folders or delete folders in any external drives. The same external drive or Flash drive worked perfect with other computers. The issue was with my Quick Heal Antivirus. I turned off Data Theft Protection option under the External Drives & Protection option. And It fixed my issue. Hope it helps others too. Thanks.

Kingdom Xerxes

Honorable
Aug 15, 2013
I now use USB Safely Remove software, this works most of the time. But if a USB disk has been used for some time it can seem to be locked-in with the AVG process on my system.
If all else fails, then a quick Shutdown & Reboot is my safe method for allowing the USB device to release, and finally stop.
Allow the device time to breathe... everything has its own rhythm in life.