Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Windows crashes when Wifi USB stick inserted

Last response: in Components
September 1, 2009 6:30:42 PM

My PC suddenly started rebooting automatically. As soon as the Windows logo came on screen, it would turn black and start all over again. I found out that it doesn't happen when I take out the WiFi stick from its USB port, but then obviously I have no internet. I used system restore which worked once, but now it's happening again and system restore isn't fixing the problem. Please help!

More about : windows crashes wifi usb stick inserted

September 1, 2009 6:32:57 PM

Does it work if you plug the USB stick in after the machine boots to windows desktop?

Try updating the motherboard chipset drivers.
September 1, 2009 6:35:41 PM

Thanks for the quick reply!

When I plug the USB stick in after the machine has started it crashes and the whole thing starts again.

How do I go about updating those drivers, especially with no internet connection?
Related resources
September 1, 2009 7:31:22 PM

Try booting into safe made with networking. Press F8 immediately before windows boots to get the option to do this. If safe mode disables USB support (it may) then I'm not sure how to help you. Can you use someone else's computer for a spell? If not, can you plug the computer in with a wired ethernet connection?

Make sure you know the motherboard manufacturer, and the model number. If you have no idea, you may need to get Cpuz (google it) and check out your specs.

**Just so I am completely clear - when you are sitting at the windows desktop, not doing anything, and you insert the USB stick, it reboots right then and there?
September 2, 2009 8:23:24 AM

Yes, the PC reboots just by inserting the USB stick!

I do have a second computer at home with internet access, so I can download the drivers on here, save them to a memory stick and put them on the broken pc.

I may also be able to plug in with a wirde ethernet connection.
September 2, 2009 9:20:24 AM

Hmm, I had a NEC versa laptop that used to crash whenever any external usb device was plugged into it, it started one day and never went away despite reformats, driver updates and everthing else i could think of. It happened with usb sticks, wifi dongles external hdd's :( 
September 2, 2009 10:55:40 AM

will_chellam said:
Hmm, I had a NEC versa laptop that used to crash whenever any external usb device was plugged into it, it started one day and never went away despite reformats, driver updates and everthing else i could think of. It happened with usb sticks, wifi dongles external hdd's :( 

Well, that's not quite the case here, the PC still supports other types of USB devices, it's just the Wifi stick it won't take...
September 2, 2009 11:59:53 AM

What is the manufacturer and model of your USB wifi? Besides the chipset driver? You should also update the Wifi driver.

BTW does it crash with all of your USB port? Try different one, preferredly the one built on the motherboard.
September 2, 2009 11:59:53 AM

Did you have the drivers installed before inserting your USB WIFI adapter. Which USB WIFI adapter do you have? I would re-install the drivers first from a USB flashand then insert the USB WIFI adapter. Does the adapter crash your second computer, when inserted, if so try to RMA it, if it is still under warantee.
September 2, 2009 12:20:22 PM

Is the USB Wifi even really working? Try it on another PC, maybe the thing is broken.
September 2, 2009 2:13:51 PM

thuan said:
What is the manufacturer and model of your USB wifi? Besides the chipset driver? You should also update the Wifi driver.

BTW does it crash with all of your USB port? Try different one, preferredly the one built on the motherboard.

To be honest, I have no idea what make the USB stick is. It was the one provided by the internet... errr... provider.

The PC crashes no matter which USB port I plug the stick into.
September 2, 2009 2:15:54 PM

amnotanoobie said:
Is the USB Wifi even really working? Try it on another PC, maybe the thing is broken.

Well, as stated in my first post, the USB wifi stick did work fine for a while after I did the system restore so I doubt that the stick itself is the problem... Also I tried a different one - albeit of the same make - and the same thing happened.
September 2, 2009 2:18:30 PM

howardp6 said:
Did you have the drivers installed before inserting your USB WIFI adapter. Which USB WIFI adapter do you have? I would re-install the drivers first from a USB flashand then insert the USB WIFI adapter. Does the adapter crash your second computer, when inserted, if so try to RMA it, if it is still under warantee.

I assume the drivers were installed because it was working fine until all of a sudden it crashed the PC.

I don't know what make the USB wifi adapter is, it doesn't say, sorry. But I doubt that the stick itself is the problem because it worked fine after i did the system restore the first time this happened.
September 2, 2009 5:59:21 PM

Just updated the chipset drivers and the problem still subsists.

I plugged in the USB wifi stick, I got the "found new hardware" message, then as soon as the message "your hardware is now installed and ready to use" came up, Windows rebooted again. :fou: 
September 2, 2009 6:33:06 PM

You should be able to tell what the device is with the device manager or in the My network CP. Download the latest drivers for this through the manufacturers website, the one windows is finding might be no good.
December 31, 2009 7:44:57 AM

I have just started getting the same - PC crashes when USB devices are plugged in. It happens with any USB device in any USB port. If I put the USB device in before the PC starts, it works fine. Annoying. I have an Acer Aspire 8930 laptop. Maybe I'll reformat as Word seems to crash often as well. Quickbooks doesn't work very well - something to do with me installing Chinese Characters one day.
January 21, 2010 9:18:55 AM

We are having the same problem with a customers PC... reboot as soon as wifi dongle plugged in.
We do try it all here and everything works well..
Took it back to customers home started up and plugged in dongle and it reboots..

Drivers have been resintalled many times......

Next log of suggestions please
March 1, 2011 11:44:32 PM

2 march 2011. Same problem here, been getting worse for a couple of months. I have moved my usb2 card with 4 ports on it, at the back to another bank which I thought was better but its not really cured. The 2 usb1 holes at the front seem to be electrically alive, when I touch a plug to them, computer instantly dead and reboots, but - I hear a little crackle, like live electric where you don't expect it to be. I feel that all the usb ports are being damaged, 2 front ones, my 4 usb2 on a card, and also 2 rear original ones that came with the computer. It is not a question of which devices I am attaching either, it's all or any of them.
I havent tried the uninstalling all usb ports in device manager yet, just learned that one. Will do so next. My gut feeling is that it is a hardware/electricity thing. I have a wireless mouse which has always worked fine, but now, when I sit the mouse in its cradle, that in itself is enough to crash the computer. So doesn't that sound like a power problem?
I will be back to see if any replies, thanks all. Vanessa.
January 27, 2012 1:51:19 AM

Check the Windows services (type at prompt) that the Universal Plug and Play service is running. If not Start it and then set it to Automatic
January 27, 2012 12:34:31 PM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
!