Passport

Distinguished
May 28, 2009
So I need help with this build.

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: As soon as possible
BUDGET RANGE: < $ 1000, but can stretch to $1200 if need be(US Currency)

SYSTEM USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: Multitasking, Gaming, Internet, Emails, etc.

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: Newegg

PARTS PREFERENCES: The Fragbox http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811163071&Tpk=falcon northwest fragbox

And a Zalman fan if it can fit in there. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835118046

OVERCLOCKING: Most likely not
SLI OR CROSSFIRE: Either

MONITOR RESOLUTION: 1920x1080 or 1920x1200

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: I would like it to not be loud. Lots of multitasking on this and be able to run games on highest settings. Maybe also an extra fan/water cooling system

What you're asking for at that price is impossible. Here is my suggestion for a build at the price point you specified:

Case: Cooler Master CM690 - This is one of the quietest cases I've ever owned. Hook up a few extra 140mm fans and you get exceptional cooling with virtually no noise at all.

CPU: Core 2 Duo E8500

Heatsink: Zalman CNPS9700

Motherboard: Asus P5Q Pro Turbo

Video Card: HIS Radeon 4890

RAM: OCZ 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 800 x 1. If you find you need more than 4GB of RAM after doing this build, you can buy another set and stick it in.

Power Supply: CORSAIR CMPSU-620HX 620W

Hard Drive: Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 1TB

Optical Drive: LG 22X SATA DVD Burner

Total before taxes and shipping: $996.91

xthekidx

Splendid
Dec 24, 2008

Good looking build, except he wants mATX. I agree the CM 690 is an exceptional case for the price, but its a full sized tower, hardly portable.

If it's portability he's looking for, why not go for a laptop? A mATX case may be lighter and less bulky than a standard ATX case, but you're still packing around a desktop which is a pain in the a$$.

The other issue one runs into with mATX cases is cooling. The OP said "ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: I would like it to not be loud. Lots of multitasking on this and be able to run games on highest settings. Maybe also an extra fan/water cooling system". Games at the highest settings means a high end video card, which doesn't mix well with a mATX case.

He is going to run into cooling issues if he goes that route, unless a liquid cooling system is in place. This makes even your mATX build hard to achieve.

Well i have actually made a hobby/side business from SFF/Lanparty gaming boxes DIY so allow me to share my experiences:p This is a project log of rigs i have managed to document :p
http://forums.vr-zone.com/troubleshooting-zone-technical-enquiries/354565-the-making-fatcat-quadcore-htpc.html

Your casing selection is too expensive for what it offers IMO but with the config below under $1k is possible possibly with Vista HP 64 but definitely if using Win 7 RC ^^

FCGJ2TH.jpg

$676.16 with ship less MIR
SG02FGPU.jpg

Not seriously OCing stick to stock HSF or that Zalman suggested maybe also Scythe Shuriken?

Another alternative is to start with this month's $600 SBM build, but use a Q9400 and maybe improve the video card.
Or, use the $1250 SBM machine, but use only one GPU to bring the price to within budget.