PC Keeps restarting, without getting into BIOS

puntertje

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2009
Hi all!

I have a problem.. Suddenly, my PC didn't start up anymore. Didn't even get into BIOS (Screen keeps showing "No signal", and than the pc just restarts automatically. Didn't change BIOS (yeah, about two weeks ago I did).

So, I opened my case, thought it might be a power flaw, and therefore I disconnected one of three hard drives. It started up...

I, happy ofcourse, then connected a new hard drive i still had to connect. Again, it did start up, untill vista checks the hard drive, somehow i hear that windows starts up, but the DOS-like screen with the information about the hard drive stays on screen... strange, so i restarted.

Without succes again...

So foar for the history, the problem now persists.

Exchanged memory, used all slots and different memory.
Disconnected everything, all hard drives, disc drive: keeps restarting.
When i disconnected the graphics card: it doesn't seem to restart.
Connected the hard drives again: still does'n't seem to restart.
Connected the graphics card again: restarts again, on and on.....

So my question is: is it most likely to be a graphics card defect, or is the power supply the problem? Or might it be another problem?

I use a MSI p45 neo4-fr, OCZ 550 Watt power supply, and a Ati radeon 3870 from Sapphire.

I hope someone can help me!

Darth_Kaar

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2008
first try default setting in bios. perchaps by chance some settings were changed and now cause instability. check especially memory voltages in your BIOS. if everything will be okay, we can start thinking about other possilibities.

HoochShepherd

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2009
Out of curiosity, when you removed everything you are not including your CPU fan and heat sink are you? Cause the fan not being connected or connected improperly could be doing that too you.

puntertje

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2009
First of all, thanks for the responses.

@festerovic: I am using an e8500 with at first 4GB Corsair 1066 memory (2 slots), which i now exchanged (to try) with I think Kingston 512MB 800.

@darth kaar: I can't get into the BIOS, that's the whole problem.

@HoochShepherd: No, CPU fan and heat sink stayed connected, all the fans work properly.

Yesterday, I experimented some more.

1. Tried connecting again only the harddisks and no graphics card, no rebooting.
2. Then, connected only the power supply to my graphics card, but the graphics card not connected to the pci-e slot on the mobo (do not know if it uses power then?). Still no rebooting.
3. Connected the graphics card to the mobo: rebooting, rebooting, rebooting....

puntertje

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2009
Yeah, that's what i thought..... But isn't it possible that the MOBO has some power distribution problem, like ainarssems states?

alikum

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2008
I had encountered the same problem once. It was the RAM. Check and see if the RAM is supported by your Mobo. It may say it is supported but that requires you to update your BIOS. Try to get some RAMs that are already out in the market for sometime to ensure that your Mobo supports it. Out of curiosity, what Mobo & RAMs are you using right now? Would be helpful if you list the parts name and model.

I would also like to add that if Memory is not correctly detected, no data can be allocated a memory resource, hence the restarts occur. However, this is only a guess to your case as yours may differ from mine.

jv_acabal

Distinguished
May 9, 2008
I've had similar problems that I found out to be related to insufficient power. The graphics card could be underpowered by the power rails.

festerovic

Distinguished
you can try to default the bios like Darth Kaar said by removing the CMOS battery on the mobo, and unplugging the power supply's power cable for a few minutes.

Doesn't your motherboard have a ton of LEDs on it for diagnosing problems? If it does, the manual might be able to help, too.

puntertje

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2009

Hmm okay, have tried it for a few seconds already, but will give it a go tonight... when it still doesn't work, i will try all the components in an other (similar) pc this saturday. Hopefully i can then rule out some components.

I believe there are no LEDs on the mobo, but will check that also.

Thanks so far...

puntertje

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2009
Thanks for your help guys, seems like my graphics card was the problem. Ordered a new one and now waiting for it.

Cheers

jonathanice

Honorable
Sep 26, 2013
for people on this post from now on I had this problem and the way I fixed it was to reset to bios, this will vary from motherboard to motherboard but look in the manual it should say something about clearing cmos valves follow what it says and it should be fine.