Help please,HDD sound

drdccd

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2009
Hi,
I have PATA 120 Seagate HDD, i installed another HDD ( old one) PATA 160 GB & i made the later Master HDD.

I`m hearing the sound of HDD is starting up during browsing the internet,reading my ebooks..etc
The master HDD is working fine as the Windows never HANGs.

i thought the Sound is a Feature of ""Power saving"" as the slave HDD was not in use>> is that possible? or it`s serious problem?

NB:
1-during installation ,BSOD appeared two times
2-the slave HDD has two drives ,i`m afraid of losing data so please help me.

What type of sound? If it is a 'clicking' type of sound, it is an early warning of impending failure, and you should replace the HDD as soon as possible.

Sometimes, depending upon power saving features both on the computer as well as the HDD, the HDD will be in a rest mode, ready to start up when called for. If an HDD is idle for a while, and you seek a file or try to save a file to this HDD, it will wake up and start spinning. After a brief interval (seconds) it will be ready to read/write data. It is possible that this is what you are experiencing.

Beware of intermittent clicking sounds. Impending failure.

I do not understand what you mean by "2-the slave HDD has two drives" - do you mean that it is partitioned into 2 logical drives? There is no problem if this HDD is partitioned into 2 (or more) logical drives, even though these days it is not a recommended practice.

drdccd

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2009

It`s not Clicking..The sound is similar to that sound when you switch on the PC or wake up from "sleep". the hard drives are (ST3120213A (slave),,ST3160212A(master) & motherboard = A780LM "asrock" ,CPU is AthlonII X240.
It seems the HDD was in rest mode,,as you said.

yes it is partitioned into 2 logical drives, but, why do you not recommend having 2 partitions?

Thank you very much.

In the old days, computers had one HDD; the C: drive. In order to keep the OS and data files separate, people used to partition the HDD into 2 or more logical drives. These days, HDDs have much larger capacities and are much cheaper. Therefore, it is easier to leave the C: drive just for the OS and other programs and to add one or more large capacity HDD(s) for data files, photos, music, etc.

Another reason to have just the OS and programs on the C: drive is for ease of installing an SSD for this purpose.

See this for more info: http://bugclub.org/beginners/hardware/DrivePartition.html

This makes it easier to perform backups (image) of the C: drive.

BTW, I hope you are doing regular backups of your computer. This is very very important!

drdccd

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2009
i appreciate your help, ,,,but i`m not That ""Begginer"">>i already have SSD (Kingston SSDNow S100) & back up my software regularly> but i did not undestand your recommendation.

Thank you very much