Help chosing case for my new build!!!

whitewolfofblackfang

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2009
I want to buy either the SilverStone Raven RV02 or Thermaltake Spedo standard model for the computer I'm building. I'm neutral toward window cases and I heard that the side panel fan on the Spedo Advance is not that great so I like the normal Spedo more. :??:

I realize that stock the raven will most likely outperform the non advanced Spedo so if I go with the Spedo I will buy 4-5 extra fans (CoolerMaster R4s most likely) to fill up the bottom/side panel intake vents along with a 230mm CoolerMaster fan for the top panel where the advanced model has a fan.
The only way I see to add fans to the Raven is to install PCI Slot fans and i would be getting 1-2 for either case anyway.

I guess another thing to take into account is the type of CPU cooler used. Logically speaking the Raven case would be great with any side blowing CPU cooler like the Thermaltake V1 and CoolerMaster V8 or any towerlike cooler for that matter... :whistle:
The Spedo on the other hand should work well with just about any CPU cooler. BTW I'm planning on using a side blowing tower as a cooler. (Haven't decided on a specific one though lol)

The normal Spedo is really cheap right now on Newegg. $109 with MIR AND free shipping while the raven with shipping will be $205. Cost isn't too much of an issue as I figure that in the end with all the extra fans and such, the Spedo will cost me around the same as the Rave.

So do you think the hypothetical modded Spedo would offer better cooling than the Raven or would it be the other way around?

I'm pretty much set on these two cases as my choices so please no "buy a HAF or Antec 1337 instead!" :p

Help me out guys I can't decide!!

TL;DR=Would a non advance Spedo with a bunch of fans cool better than the Raven RV02?

G

Take a look at a couple reviews like this one and then make a decision.
http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/642
This case is not that bad. :D

If money is not an issue, then get whatever you want. Part of the decision is a matter of personal preference.

I am curious. Why do you want to add extra fans? What do you plan on doing that requires so many fans? What do you hope to accomplish.

whitewolfofblackfang

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2009
Seen the review of the Raven at hardware secrets. Other than that one, there seems to be only one other review of the case by 3DGameman.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3l3al-eskoo if anyone is interested.

Bah... Its a new case so there's not many reviews of it yet. :(

@JohnnyLucky
Yeah I think you're right. Two high performing cases are only a matter of personal preference. I just wanted people to throw out some opinions in order to sway mine a little. :lol:

I knew the question would show up sooner or later. haha I will be running a sizable overclock and generally want to get out of my components as much as possible. Not exactly a fan of liquid cooling...leaks and such. I know I said I wanted to use CoolerMaster R4 fans. They nave LEDs and are kinda blingy but its not too bad. I figure they're some of the better fans for the noise levels I find acceptable. If I went with Scythe Kaze Maru fans I would have to use a fan controller. They sound like an airplane turbine lol