andy5174

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2009

It is to me at least. I understand the AMD lineup at first glance.

BTW, it took me at least 20 minutes to comprehend the modeling method of Intel. Although I seem to be more like an Intel fan, I hate their naming method very much.

Who's the other guy? :D

So. What's the deal, here?

I got spanked over at AT a month or so ago for saying that the i3 banner would cover s775 Core 2 Duos and Core 2 Quads. Can we assume this is accurate and that i3 will include additional 32NMs?

I agree with you, I don't like it. The whole idea is that you can say "WOW, that's an i7, i7 is good!!!" but eventually they will be slow.

I think that Intel should not have gone with two sockets and should of came up with a new socket for all lines. Then they should of made Core i3. Then the next tick or tock should be called i4, then the next tick or tock should be i5. Just like back in the hold Pentium days.

"What processor do you have?"
"I have a Pentium III 500"

I know we can't use frequencies anymroe in names because it can be so misleading, but they should have a consistent number, where higher is always better.

The_Blood_Raven

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2008
Oh I see! Intel will be renaming the LGA 775 processor so that consumers say, "hey that quad core core i3 at 2.5 Ghz looks good, I'll trade in for my Q9300" and they never know that they have been ripped. Then there will be the newegg reviewers saying that the "Core i3 quad at 2.66 Ghz is SOO much faster than my old Q9550!" F&%king great.

Maybe nVidia and Intel are closer to each other than we thought.

amnotanoobie

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2006
If I would vote for a confusing naming scheme, my vote would still be for nvidia. At least with respect to i3, i5 and i7 the names are somehow related to performance.

With the nvidia, the 8800gt was renamed so many damn times it ain't even funny. Also comparing the laptop nvidia's to desktop parts have become even more confusing.

enigma067

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2007

AMD's naming convention is much clearer. It's just you choose not to see it, purposefully.

Any way you want to argue, AMD still offers the customer more bang for the buck.

ewood

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2009

This comment is completely off topic and will be the downfall of this thread. Now everyone will argue if AMD or Intel is better and forget the question about naming schemes, nice work on detracting from the original question and inviting everyone to fill the remainder of the thread with hearsay.

archibael

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2006

I have seen no evidence, internally, that Core 2 Duos and Core 2 Quads will get pulled under the iX monikers.

Anything is possible, as Marketing people are Special, but I don't think this is happening.

From the OPs article:

This now means that current Core 2 Duo owners now fall under the Core i3 or Core i5 brand, but the chips are still going to be sold under the older naming system. Users shopping for a Core 2 Duo system in a few months, however, will instead find a “Core i3” rig in its place.

And from what I can tell about the CPU 'Stars' ...

5-star = 32nm with integrated memory controller

4-star and down is not dependent on the number of cores but appears to be ranked by cache.

archibael

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2006

I know, I read it. But preceding that:

The new i5 range (from the rumor mill) covers not only the i5 chips being released in October, but it could also encompass some Core 2 Duo chips both in the desktop and mobile sectors.

Emphasis mine. Again, anything's possible, but I don't think it's gonna happen that way. I think the Core 2 parts will be phased out rather than subsumed.