Cpu cooler question

james129

Distinguished
May 29, 2009
I am in the process of building a new gaming rig. I haven't built a computer in a long time and am reconsidering the way that I just mounted the cpu cooler. I am running an Asus P6T deluxe v2 with an intel i7 920 and a zalman 9700nt in an antec twelve hundred. I will attatch a picture of the way that i mounted the cooler. Right now it is mounted facing downward and I was wondering if I should take it off and remount it so that it blows out the rear exhaust fan. Thanks in advance for the help.
dsc00368u.jpg

By downward, I assume you mean the vertical orientation. Assuming that the cpu cooler fan directs the air flow up towards the case top fan, then I think that is good. If your temps are good, leave it that way. If you think they are high, check your mounting. Sometimes too much thermal material acts as an insulator and actually hurts.

Fortunex

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2009
It looks like your fan is aiming down, so you should switch it so it aims upwards at the top fan, instead of at your video card. Not sure if you can make it aim left.

james129

Distinguished
May 29, 2009
Yes, it does aim down towards the video card. I thought the top fan blew air into the case (i could be wrong) and then the cpu cooler would just suck it down and push it through the heat sink then the two exhaust fans on the back would suck it out. Then the three fans on the front of the case would pull in air to cool the video card. If my thought process is wrong then please correct me. Im still waiting on my psu to show up so i have plenty of time to flip the cpu cooler around if need be.

Hot air rises. You want the cooler to send the hot air straight UP and out of the case.. The big top fan should be an exhaust fan.