WC setup and advice needed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lutfij

Titan
Hey there!

I'm not new to tom's and probably not new to WC'ing - I have a modded Corsair H50 thas cooling my NB and CPU - temps on stock are (as of now)

more info? look up rig 1 in member config

CPU @ stock - idle, 38 C load (playing shift 2) 40~41C
NB - 41~42C load on CPU - increment of 2 C (the loop has the NB and CPU thas fitted to the stock rad of the corsair H50 and a Swiftech res/rad combo 120 both mounted on the inside top part of my Spedo.

Question to all answering this :)

What are your remarks with my temps?
I took my rig to QX9770 specs(temps are 4 C higher than stock) but i noticed the heat slowly creep up and also make it a heat ware for winter. I have 2xNoctua NH P-12 fans in Push<shroud<rad<shroud<fan i have the stock corsair rad fitted with the spedo's 1300CFM 19dB fans in the similar manner Push<shroud<rad<shroud<fan - exhausting the air though the top of the case.

I'm in the market to get meself a fully functional WC loop and one that i can migrate to another rig in the event rig 1 dies along the way.

I'm looking at the Swiftech H20-320 EDGE kit, what dya guys think?

I'm also nit-picky about the audible range of fans. So, which ones to go for?

Furthermore i chose the swiftech as it is a kit and *should* go on the back or atop the Spedo case nicely

*I'll only keep the CPU and NB in the loop. When I'll look forward to getting a 2011 rig maybe cool CPU+GPU but not in the near future.I'll keep the GPU on air :)
*I hope Rubix picks up this thread :sol: he's like James Bond with WC :lol:

Ofcourse i value the techxperts opinions here on tom's and i know they are a reliable source.
Please bare in mind I'm getting *any* parts from UK via a relative.So - uk e-tailer's please and I'd want to get this right - the first experience was with the H50 :whistle:

Thank for taking the time!

Solution
That's a good rad and a very strong pump. To add the NB, you'd simply need a block that fits. NB cooling isn't necessary, but out of anything on the actual motherboard you could possibly watercool, I'd give it the only vote; SB, RAM, MOSFETs, etc...pass on those.

Swiftech rads are fairly low FPI (I actually run dual MRC320 rads, myself) so you can use almost any low-medium speed RPM fans you want. I use Gentle Typhoons, but there are plenty of other choices. (My sticky has some fan comparisons, I just added them in the last couple days).

In addition to that Swiftech Edge kit, also consider the XSPC Rasa RS and RX series kits...they are a great value for the beginner to moderate user. I'm not sure if there are other UK stores that...

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
That's a good rad and a very strong pump. To add the NB, you'd simply need a block that fits. NB cooling isn't necessary, but out of anything on the actual motherboard you could possibly watercool, I'd give it the only vote; SB, RAM, MOSFETs, etc...pass on those.

Swiftech rads are fairly low FPI (I actually run dual MRC320 rads, myself) so you can use almost any low-medium speed RPM fans you want. I use Gentle Typhoons, but there are plenty of other choices. (My sticky has some fan comparisons, I just added them in the last couple days).

In addition to that Swiftech Edge kit, also consider the XSPC Rasa RS and RX series kits...they are a great value for the beginner to moderate user. I'm not sure if there are other UK stores that offer it, to be honest. Quick glance at the site you sent above doesn't have the Rasa listed. Someone else might be able to chime in...I'm trying to finish up a few things to jet out of work. :)

If you are thinking of going bigger in the future, you might consider the Edge kit with the MCP35x pump you have above or go with putting together a custom loop.

What is your budget? How soon are you planning to expand on it?

Sorry that this was brief...I will be back a little later to check in as well. Good luck!

Solution

Lutfij

Titan
Never fear James Bond is HERE!!!!

AH thanks bro :) I'm Using the Fusion block system that came with the Rampage Extreme initially. Thas whats fitted into the loop with the H50.

(My sticky has some fan comparisons, I just added them in the last couple days).
I've been following that for a lil while now - just occupied with other things :) but kool info and sticky - if anything its a lil more detailed than the Xtreme systems sticky :p.

also consider the XSPC Rasa RS and RX series kits...they are a great value for the beginner to moderate user. I'm not sure if there are other UK stores that offer it, to be honest.
I've been looking at that as well - its cheaper as well. But the only reason I'm swaying towards the Swiftech's kit is cos i can add a rad later in the loop - thas how powerful the pump really is - I'm sure you knew that before!

If you are thinking of going bigger in the future, you might consider the Edge kit with the MCP35x pump you have above or go with putting together a custom loop.

What is your budget? How soon are you planning to expand on it?
Upgrade path - not anytime soon - well if the rig dies out then yeah thats when i'll look at the sandy bridge or a LGA 2011 rig, ofcourse, then i'll add the GPU in the loops mix-up :) cos with newer innovations intel is getting rid of the heat dumping NB in their chip architecture lineup.

Budget - anything offered within the EDGE kit which is 250 GBP or less - mind you bro, the key term would be a low noise high OC setup on my Q9550/Asus RE x48 say 3.8 Ghz but if i can run 3.2 Ghz QX9770 specs at the stock idle temps then I'm content with that!!!

Custom loop - wouldn't that add more tubing to the loop and it running all around the innards? I'm also aware of selecting parts that don't add up as a mixed metal loop - but i'm sure your a seasoned veteran with metals and what not to get for my loop *(if i'm going custom)*.

Thanks for the Lightning reply!
Sorry that this was brief...I will be back a little later to check in as well. Good luck!
no worries mate! I'm not a hit n run driver - I'll be notified of your reply's via mail :)

a look @ the H50's 2nd mod here

Lutfij

Titan
^ thas a nice setup there - i'd like to stay away from dies and coloured coolants as Rubix pointed out in his help threads -
Just remember, all dyes/color will breakdown and fade over time.
** from - http://skinneelabs.com/coolantfluid-roundup-thermal-performance/4/

It also will result in a gunked up system...or damaged parts.

Though i'd like a sleek setup within the case. I might just remove the top panel and mount the rad there. *maybe* :whistle:

These are what I've added to my basket -
1| Swiftech H20-320 EDGE kit
2| Xigmatek Crossbow backplate (as asus placed a chip behind the cpu socket that'll get crushed by any other backplate - even with swiftech 775 plate)
3| Arctic Cooling MX-2 30g tube
4| what liquid should i get? or am i good the hydrx from swiftech?

^^^ if i can get a compact loop for less than the above kit - by all means - lemme have it :D

feedback please :)

Lutfij

Titan
um, i can find distilled water in abundance here in Bangladesh :) so scratch that out of my list - wouldn't want to import water from the west :p

how long does one coil last for? reason for asking is cos i'd like to order a number of them so i don't nag my uncle too much - a one off solution(in buying not maintaining the loop) :)

To feed my H50 mod, i used PC ice clear fluid back then - can't say its any different than distilled water apart from the smell :whistle:

Whats with the Hydrx concentrate/solution? it any good? I've grown to understand different loops react differently with the tonne of liquid available in the market - thus *Tom's base rule* - better safe than sorry.

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
Stay away from the Hydrx stuff you are talking about. It's a glycol mixture...it's ok, distilled water is better. The only thing you might gain from a coolant mixture is a little corrosion resistance which would only take place if you were running a mixed metals loop. Almost all PC watercooling gear these days does not contain aluminum in the water path, so you shouldn't have to worry, unless you start adding aluminum heatercores, etc.

1 killcoil basically lasts forever.

Lutfij

Titan
:) k - so do i need to add anything to the water? apart from the killcoil?

What about the fans? I can't seem to get around all of them - when i go through e-tailers...i get even more lost cos of the lighting and blah blah - need a little fine tuning from you guys.

BTW - what dya think of the above items ?? Edit - i mailed my uncle the stuff, will be getting them soon.

been looking at this setup :p

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
The Rasa and Edge kits both come with fans...so unless you want different fans, you should be fine.

That is a clean looking build on XS, but I think those passive rads are aluminum...you might want to check into that...I would avoid them. I have thought they are a very cool idea, but if they are, in fact, aluminum...that's disappointing. You could run a glycol mix coolant to help if you really wanted to go this route, but it would be good to flush your loop more often...I'd say 6 months max between clean/fill.

Don't get too wrapped up in all the bling just yet...try to maintain your plan and design ideas and then work from there. It's easy to get wrapped up in all the toys out there. Take your time and make sure you are getting what is best for you now and in the future. If you are able to plan and buy with that mindset, you will be fine.

Lutfij

Titan
^ aye aye bro!

Just looking at them for some inspiration into tube routing :) And yeah it is alu, my loop has a copper NB block, copper cpu plate, brass rad from swiftech and the aluminium rad from corsair - which uses the PC ICE liquid...and i've been reading about galvanic corrosion - plus i'd want a better setup than what i have now.

OK bro! My uncles got the mail, and he'll look into the purchase and sending - will be roughly 1 months time until i receive it at my doorstep - maybe less if he can splurge the cash :)

All in all the rad/pump can house another 2x120 rads and the block *should* be good for the later upgrades.

Thanks for all the input, everyone! I've got the stuff noted, will post back when i have it up and running. Cheers mates! Esp - Rubix_1011!!!

I can't seem to find it, but there's a guide to maintaing a loop after its up and running. e.g: flushing it, cleaning copper blocks and blah blah.

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
You can simply drain and refill with distilled. If you want to pull the blocks apart, it's a decent idea, especially on your first drain and refill to see what is residing in your blocks and rads after the loop has been running for a while.

Cleaning your blocks can be done by soaking in a 50/50 vinegar/water solution. For heavily oxidated blocks or blocks with buildup, regular ketchup and a toothbrush does pretty well.

Make sure you are very careful when taking apart blocks...the screws are usually pretty small and you don't want to loose them. Also, inspect your o-rings as well and replace if needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.