I5-2500k 4ghz overclock?

Bmoneh

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2011
How hard would it be to achieve 4ghz on it? Will I have to mess with voltage or do I just simply raise the the multiplier to x40?
Motherboard is an Asrock P67 Pro3. And will the intel stock cooler be enough or would I need a better cooler? Thanks.

whitey_rolls

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2010
You'll probably want a better cooler, other than that set the multiplier to 40, leave everything else as enabled or auto and you should be good to go.

If you try the overclock with the stock cooler make sure you monitor your temperatures

whitey_rolls

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2010

lol it really depends on the overclock you want. To get to 4.0 ghz it's very simple, however if you choose to do it manually with lower volts and in turn lower temperatures you would need the guide. You would also need the guide if you wanted to do some more extreme overclocking in order to learn what settings to change.

Unless you manually set the voltage to 1.2v (the default for Sandy Bridge), you will quickly jump up into the danger zone when overclocking using the stock cooler. If you leave the CPU Voltage on Auto, it will rapidly increase past the point where the stock cooler can control the heat.