MSI's nx260lightning edition vs OC4 edition

I have the Lightning. If it weren't for Riva Tuner I couldn't have gotten the card to over clock right. The only good thing about it is the extra memory.... allowing you to turn on AA to high levels. It made crysis look better with 8AA @ 16x10...... but that was after over clocking. Stock the card tanks. OC 680/2240 I think I had it. .... something about this card smells "cheap junk" to me.

I never used Riva Tuner before so I'm not sure how to or even if I can use it to increase voltages. I think this may be keeping the card back. Considering the hype behind the card I thought it would be better choice but it's more or less marketing and getting stupid people to buy it.... AHEM....lol. The control panel is cheap, not the "aluminum" panel the reviewers said it was and it doesn't work right.

I have an XFX GTX260 640/2300/192 card. If the Lighning could reach this speed I'd say get it. As it stands........... get the highest clocked ( stock ) card you can get for best performance and no aggravation.

doky

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2009

Thanks swifty, I'm glad you replied. It great to hear from someone who actually has the card. You put my mind at ease about ordering the OCv4 instead.

The OCv4 according to MSI's website is 655 core /1408 shader clock/2100 mem clock and comes with their own D.O.T overclocking software.

I've currently got an Athlon 64 3700 w/ 2.5Gb Ram and MSI K8N Diamond Plus SLI board. So I think an upgrade is in order :).

Do you think my CPU will impede the performance of the NX260 ?

Definitely. But I found it's better to have too much graphics power than not enough. Sounds like more upgrades are in your future. As far as OC'ing.... I wouldn't even consider it with your set up. Neither can take advantage of each other. I run core2's and Quads and if you don't get them to 3.4-3.6 they hold back the graphics...... but most people would never know the difference..... don't let me discourage you though. Good Luck.

doky

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2009

Thanks, Lots of upgrades are most certainly in the pipe line. Looks like I'll have to admire the cards real performance on my brothers pc.

His got a

Phenom II X4 3.2 black box edition,
MSI 790FX GD-70 AM3 board
CORSAIR XMS3 DHX 4GB ( 2 X 2GB ) PC3-12800 1600MHz 240-pin DDR3 CL9 Dual Channel
1 TB Samsung HDD