Repair Windows XP on Portege 2010 without CD drive?

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
Share
April 10, 2004 8:28:51 PM

I'm unable to boot my Portege 2010 - I'm getting this error message at
startup:

"Windows could not start because the following file is missing or
corrupt:
\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM

You can attempt to repair this file by starting Windows Setup using
the original Setup CD-ROM"

Since I don't have the external CD-ROM for the laptop, is there any
way that I can recover the O/S (Win XP) using the "boot from LAN"
option?

TIA for any help
Ian
August 14, 2009 1:05:32 AM

try booting from USB or any other media and then replace a file named "SYSTEM" from "\WINDOWS\repair" to "\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM" and this will work for you, i'm sure as i had done it successfully under such problems and if it fails then use some other way
February 21, 2012 1:21:34 AM

no, not unless you have a terminal server configured for lan or PXE boot.

Try booting into safe mode by pressing f8 during boot up this should allow you to boot as the config folder i believe contains driver files then you can use reimage to reinstall and repair your operating system and replace the corrupt windows files.

download reimage