Cut Cable during remodel . . .

I cut my DirecTV cable while doing some light renovation.

To repair it, I used RG6 coax "barrel" connectors and short length of cable
purchased from Lowes. After trimming the cable for new connectors, the
cable ends were too far apart to connect. I could not stretch the cable so
I also had to use a short length (needed one inch but used two feet) of
standard coax cable to make the two ends meet.

I have great reception on the channels that I receive. However, I'm now
missing some channels. One of them is the one channel the wife watches so I
am in the dog house until I fix the stupid thing. ;)

Research tells me I should not have used standard RG6 coax to repair the
break. I think I should have used the "2GHz" cable and connectors. I can't
find that type of cable here so I'll have to order some.

My question is, if I go through all this trouble to order this special
"satellite cable" will this fix my missing channels?

Or am I going to have to run all new cable?

Thanks!
Jim
8 answers Last reply
More about cable remodel
  1. Archived from groups: alt.satellite.tv (More info?)

    Have you checked the signal on the different transponders. If you let us
    know which ones may not be working, it might help figure it out.

    Clark

    "Jim" <spamaddyREMOVE@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
    >I cut my DirecTV cable while doing some light renovation.
    >
    > To repair it, I used RG6 coax "barrel" connectors and short length of
    > cable purchased from Lowes. After trimming the cable for new connectors,
    > the cable ends were too far apart to connect. I could not stretch the
    > cable so I also had to use a short length (needed one inch but used two
    > feet) of standard coax cable to make the two ends meet.
    >
    > I have great reception on the channels that I receive. However, I'm now
    > missing some channels. One of them is the one channel the wife watches so
    > I am in the dog house until I fix the stupid thing. ;)
    >
    > Research tells me I should not have used standard RG6 coax to repair the
    > break. I think I should have used the "2GHz" cable and connectors. I
    > can't find that type of cable here so I'll have to order some.
    >
    > My question is, if I go through all this trouble to order this special
    > "satellite cable" will this fix my missing channels?
    >
    > Or am I going to have to run all new cable?
    >
    > Thanks!
    > Jim

  2. Archived from groups: alt.satellite.tv (More info?)

    On Sun, 7 Aug 2005 20:03:53 -0500, "Jim"
    <spamaddyREMOVE@bellsouth.net> wrote:

    >I cut my DirecTV cable while doing some light renovation.
    >
    >To repair it, I used RG6 coax "barrel" connectors and short length of cable
    >purchased from Lowes. After trimming the cable for new connectors, the
    >cable ends were too far apart to connect. I could not stretch the cable so
    >I also had to use a short length (needed one inch but used two feet) of
    >standard coax cable to make the two ends meet.
    >
    >I have great reception on the channels that I receive. However, I'm now
    >missing some channels. One of them is the one channel the wife watches so I
    >am in the dog house until I fix the stupid thing. ;)
    >
    >Research tells me I should not have used standard RG6 coax to repair the
    >break. I think I should have used the "2GHz" cable and connectors. I can't
    >find that type of cable here so I'll have to order some.
    >
    >My question is, if I go through all this trouble to order this special
    >"satellite cable" will this fix my missing channels?
    >
    >Or am I going to have to run all new cable?
    >
    >Thanks!
    >Jim

    Im also gonna guess that you used twist on fitting..........
    make sure that there is some grond available.
    ie, that the fitting is not twisted only to the plastic lining.
    strip back a 1/4 of the plastic alone to ensure that the loop is ok.
  3. Archived from groups: alt.satellite.tv (More info?)

    "Clark" <who@whoknows.com> wrote in message
    > Have you checked the signal on the different transponders. If you let us
    > know which ones may not be working, it might help figure it out.

    Allrighty! Signal strength as follows:
    I'll only list the ones with zeros. All other have about 94 except for #26
    which has a 79.

    "Zeroed" transponders are: 1,3,5,7,9,11,12,13,15,17,19,20,21,23,25,27,29,31.

    There are 32 in all, in case that's important to know.

    Thank you!
  4. Archived from groups: alt.satellite.tv (More info?)

    "billyray" <5699@REMOVE.com> wrote in message
    > Im also gonna guess that you used twist on fitting..........

    You'd guess right. ;)

    > make sure that there is some grond available.
    > ie, that the fitting is not twisted only to the plastic lining.
    > strip back a 1/4 of the plastic alone to ensure that the loop is ok.

    Just to make sure I have this right: There are four components in a cross
    section of a cable. (1) The outer black protective layer, (2) the silver
    shielding (what I think you are calling "ground") (3) an inner white plastic
    insulator then (4) the copper wire at the center.

    You are saying I need to strip back the outer (black) layer 1/4 inch? The
    twist-on won't "twist" if I do that, will it?

    I do know the copper wire actually extends a little past the end of the
    cable. That should be enough, right?

    I'm assuming that I do not have to use any "special" cable or connectors
    otherwise, y'all would have reprimanded me on that, right? ;)
  5. Archived from groups: alt.satellite.tv (More info?)

    Plain and simple. You've made a bad connection with your barrel connector or
    the connector will not pass the signal to the LNB. You're experiencing what
    we call transponder null on the ODD number transponders.

    Other possible causes:

    Nicks in the copper conductor or lack of nylon shielding between the
    conductor and F connector shell

    Torn shielding

    Ground wire touching conductor (one tiny strand will do it)

    RG-59 mistaken for RG-6 on the dish side of the receiver.

    Cheap connector. (will not handle Hertz freq. from receiver)
  6. Archived from groups: alt.satellite.tv (More info?)

    "Chip Saunders" <OU812@yourisp.net> wrote in message
    > Other possible causes:
    >
    > Nicks in the copper conductor or lack of nylon shielding between the
    > conductor and F connector shell
    >
    > Torn shielding
    >
    > Ground wire touching conductor (one tiny strand will do it)
    >
    > RG-59 mistaken for RG-6 on the dish side of the receiver.
    >
    > Cheap connector. (will not handle Hertz freq. from receiver)

    Interesting.

    Could you help explain this (I hadn't considered this before now):

    I've got two separate TVs - one with a TiVo - so that makes three separate
    cables. I only cut/repaired two of the cables yet am experiencing channel
    loss on all three cables.

    The TiVo has one original (good) cable and one cut/repaired cable.
    Transponder tests indicate signal loss on both.

    What would explain that?

    Thanks,
    Jim
  7. Archived from groups: alt.satellite.tv (More info?)

    On Sat, 13 Aug 2005 08:36:31 -0500, "Jim"
    <spamaddyREMOVE@bellsouth.net> wrote:

    >"Clark" <who@whoknows.com> wrote in message
    >> Have you checked the signal on the different transponders. If you let us
    >> know which ones may not be working, it might help figure it out.
    >
    >Allrighty! Signal strength as follows:
    >I'll only list the ones with zeros. All other have about 94 except for #26
    >which has a 79.
    >
    >"Zeroed" transponders are: 1,3,5,7,9,11,12,13,15,17,19,20,21,23,25,27,29,31.
    >
    >There are 32 in all, in case that's important to know.
    >
    >Thank you!

    Somehow you are only getting one half of the feed from the dish.
    if all tvs experiance the same problem then one of the two required
    feeds from the dish are bad.ie the one feeding the multiswitch.
    if you disconnect one at a time you will see that noting changes
    when you remove one feed. and all the signal goes out when you remove
    the other. there will be your problem

    Good luck!
  8. Archived from groups: alt.satellite.tv (More info?)

    "billyray" <5699@REMOVE.com> wrote in message

    > Somehow you are only getting one half of the feed from the dish.
    > if all tvs experiance the same problem then one of the two required
    > feeds from the dish are bad.ie the one feeding the multiswitch.

    Thank you. As soon as I figure out what a multiswitch is, I'll fix this
    silly thing! ;)

    Seriously, thanks.

    Jim

Satellite TV Cable Home Theatre