Sign in with
Your question

Gigabyte MA790X-UD4P Motherboard doesn't recognize Phenom II x4 955...

Last response: in CPUs
September 2, 2009 1:22:07 AM

This is my one question; is the Phenom II x4 955 not compatible with the Gigabyte MA790X-UD4P motherboard? I have done everything that I think would be the cause but nothing works. I have replaced & exchanged both the processor & the motherboard three times already, I have updated & flashed the bios to the latest which is the F7 to support AM3 CPUs but absolutely nothing works. When I go to the desktop, Windows 7, it only recognizes two cores. I tried the ACC and switched to Hybrid but it still won't work. What in the world is wrong with this CPU & motherboard?! Is the Phenom II x4 955 only a quad-core if you use DDR3 memory?! Someone educate me! Fill me in on this.. Thanks...
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
September 2, 2009 8:39:16 AM

Another thought: Since the PC actually works, it seems you have at least partial support. Don't rely on Windows for accurate hardware information. Download a utility called CPU-Z and see what it says.
m
l
Related resources
September 2, 2009 10:09:06 AM

Herr_Koos said:
Another thought: Since the PC actually works, it seems you have at least partial support. Don't rely on Windows for accurate hardware information. Download a utility called CPU-Z and see what it says.

I do have the CPUz. That's how I was able to tell. That and the Task Manager... It's so frustrating. You buy all the parts, it gets delivered to your house, you ready them all up and you find out that it doesn't work..

I know it works though because I see a lot of people doing it. How come mine is not working?! I have returned and exchanged this CPU and this motherboard five time already and I always get the same results...
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
September 2, 2009 10:12:22 AM

See my previous comment. Are you SURE the X4 955 is supported?
m
l
September 2, 2009 10:30:20 AM

Herr_Koos said:
See my previous comment. Are you SURE the X4 955 is supported?

The motherboard supports AM3/AM2+ and AM2 processors. It shows on the AM3 list that it is as long as you use the F4 bios. I already went there before I posted this thread...
m
l
September 2, 2009 10:33:30 AM

@Herr_Koos:
If my Phenom II x2 550 which is an AM3 CPU can work then the x4 955 should work as well.. But it doesn't and that's what I'm trying to figure out.
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
September 2, 2009 11:10:30 AM

Ahhh, don't be so quick to assume that. For example, I have a an AM2 board with an Athlon X2 5600+. I've checked the list of supported CPU's, and it doesn't go all the way up to the 6400+ even though the socket, fab etc. is exactly the same. That's why I referred you to the official list of supported CPU's for your board on the Gigabyte website. It only goes up to the X4 940.

Now I could be wrong, but it won't do any harm to check.
m
l
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
September 2, 2009 11:17:17 AM

I have the same mobo with the x3 720 black processor wich is also unlocked stable with 4 cores at 3.4ghz and windows 7 . Have you tried a different operating system? I have the F3 bios installed.
m
l
September 2, 2009 11:24:44 AM

Quote:
I have the same mobo with the x3 720 black processor wich is also unlocked stable with 4 cores at 3.4ghz and windows 7 . Have you tried a different operating system? I have the F3 bios installed.

I can unlock all four cores of my x2 550 using ACC in F5 bios but I don't like unlocking it even if it runs stable. I have never tried F3 before because Gigabyte doesn't have it anymore in their website. But I don't think F3 will work for x4 955 because I saw a lot of reviews in Newegg stating that F3 simply does not work for the 955...
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
September 2, 2009 2:30:24 PM

Wisecracker said:
If you scroll scroll down the page the Phenom 955 has been supported on that motherboard since BIOS F4.

To the OP:

After you flash do you reset the CMOS ?

You are correct, my mistake.
m
l
a c 115 à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
September 2, 2009 6:39:40 PM

Herr_Koos said:
You are correct, my mistake.

NP, Herr_Koos.

m
l
a b V Motherboard
September 3, 2009 12:04:51 AM

Herr_Koos said:
A quick Google search got me the following:

http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Support/Motherboard/CPUSuppo...

So no, the X4 955 is not listed. I vote you contact Gigabyte and ask them, just to be sure.

Sorry :(  it is supported the first cpu under Socket AM3,I have the UD5P and it too supports the same AMD cpu's..sounds like the op is in a bit of a hurry [been there etc] and has rushed things a bit or may be lacking in patience..:) 
m
l
September 3, 2009 5:58:24 AM

Wisecracker said:
If you scroll scroll down the page the Phenom 955 has been supported on that motherboard since BIOS F4.

To the OP:

After you flash do you reset the CMOS ?

No. After I flash I do not reset the CMOS. Are you supposed to though? I thought when you flash a bios it resets automatically?
m
l
September 3, 2009 6:54:12 AM

I'm actually starting to ask myself if it is in fact Windows 7 that's causing all of this. Windows 7 RC Evaluation Copy.Build 7100...
m
l
September 3, 2009 11:27:06 AM

*** *** ing *** ing *** ING GIGABYTE!!!!
m
l
a c 115 à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
September 3, 2009 1:02:46 PM

sticker_happie said:
No. After I flash I do not reset the CMOS. Are you supposed to though? I thought when you flash a bios it resets automatically?

Not necessarily. You should always clear the CMOS before you flash and after you flash.

Here's a good tip for you: The switch "/cc" in the command line will make it automatic ....

> AWDFLASH xxxx.BIN /cc
m
l
September 3, 2009 5:40:28 PM

So... Can anybody tell me please why all 6 of the AMD Phenom II x4 955s that I've bought and exchanged does not work for any of the 6 Gigabyte 790X motherboard that I've also purchased and exchanged. I bought everything from a retail store, not at Newegg or PerformancePC. And like I've said before, I have tried everything. I tried turning on the Hybrid mode in ACC and that doesn't work as well. It actually keeps my PC from booting up. I'd have to clear the CMOS or keep turning it on and off to actually get it to post. I even asked PCWizKid in Youtube what was wrong with it and he said that all the CPUs that I had were defective or maybe Windows 7 RC is causing all the problems. ANYBODY PLEASE HELP!!! I'm gonna try exchanging them again one last time and if it still doesn't work then I'm gonna just have to go with the PII x4 940 or the PII x3 720.. Or maybe go with a Mac... nah, I'm not switching to a Mac but I'm just saying, this is really, really, frustrating...
m
l
September 10, 2009 10:56:36 AM

PROBLEM SOLVED!!! Finally!!! The problem was the number of processors that I've assigned Windows to boot in *msconfig>Advanced Options was only TWO! So I disabled that and reseted the computer then BAM! All cores working! Too bad I already returned the Phenom II x4 955 and settled with the x3 720. But that's fine by by me. I am so relieved!!!
m
l
!