Status
Not open for further replies.

sanchz

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2009
We'll have to wait an year till this baby is launched, I just hope it's worth the wait.

http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/cpu/display/20090901145236_AMD_Readies_Thuban_Six_Core_Desktop_Processor.html

Frequency is still unknown (probably 2.8 GHz), 9mb of cache (6x512kb + 6mb), due in Q3 2010.

I think it may be too late, since I expect it to compete against i7, but at the time of its release, Sandy Bridge (next-gen Intel mArch) will be close, and Core i9 will make the gap wider between Intel and AMD.

I don't know whether AMD believes the market does not need 6 cores or they simply can't mass produce it, which is weird since Istambul launched 3-4 months ago.

loneninja

Distinguished
Personally I don't see why the desktop user needs 6 cores, the only software I have that can max a quad core are professional applications better suited to be ran on workstations any ways. The typical computer user/gamer has no need for more than 4 cores, many still don't even need the 4.

alikum

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2008
Gulftown may or may not eat it alive. That's still unconfirmed. But to be honest, does an average consumer require Gulftown/Thuban? i7 is already considered too powerful for today's software applications, let alone 6 cores. That aside, I'm still looking forward to the coming of hexa as well as octa cores.

With the new chipset and other goodies coming, if SW can keep up, it may be a decent solution by then, but SW has a ways to go.
Good thing M$ is finally making a few strides in the right direction

wuzy

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2009
What A64 really lacks now compared to Nehalem is IPC, more so in multimedia than in MP virtualisation. And more importantly in performance/watt as well. The A64 architecture is just being nailed from every direction.
More cores just won't help. If it had come a few months before Bloomfield arrived I'm sure many people would've been interested in it.

I'm looking at server budget for next years IT purchase and it's extremely sad to see only Nahelem servers (overpriced of course) are being put into consideration. The same goes to almost every company's current IT purchase, there is just no AMD in sight. :(
On the upside we only need two to replace our aging Opterons so if AMD manages to outperform Intel in 2011 I'll have the opportunity to put AMD into consideration again assuming economy picks up by then.
I want to give our $ to AMD, but currently I can't obviously.

A year from now, when these chips hit, if SW is doing more MT, and they somehow price them against the quads, at least it legitimizes Intel having to have a low priced hex core.
If they only leave them at the uber highend, then therell be a lil wriggle room for AMD.
Intels definately slowed down a lil, and its likely the lack of competition in the highend.
Look at i7, just 1 chip there in mainstream pricing, and only 1 uber priced highend i9

Im pretty sure they dont want the monpoly noose around their neck

RIOTinYOURcity

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2009

agreed.
6 cores, whats the point? maybe around 2012 but now?

that is like releasing the i7 in 2003

omnimodis78

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2008
I think even a good dual-core is more than sufficient in most cases! It's obvious that these days it's the software that is the weakest link, and that's what is setting the pace... But it is exciting to see what is just around the corner!

hehe true that.... 6 cores? Just like the overpriced good-for nothing istanbul ...... or shal I say "istambullsheat" .....

Don't really see a need for 6 cores ATM, it won't run my games faster, load times, encode, render.... then why bother.... 4 cores is more than enough ..... what's next 8 cores? lol .....

sanchz

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2009

I think that's exactly why AMD isn't rushing into releasing it before the end of the year and rather is announcindg it for Q3 2010

That would be Bulldozer, and AMD has confirmed it won't be out until sometime in 2011. Probably the reason why AMD is bumping up core count and clock speed on the K10.5 - that's all the tools in their box...

enigma067

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2007
Gulftown is going to eat it alive

Gulftown will be another EXPENSIVE solution from Intel.

AMD has Intel beat with regards to price/performance ratio.

No one needs or can even afford a Cray super computer now.
They cost too much!

Ok, so if Thuban is released in about a year or so, do you really think that will turn the tables for AMD? A black edition 6 core CPU vs. whatever Intel will have at that moment?? Will that revive AMD's likely-hood of surviving?

meh, I doubt it will be 299.99$$$ i hope the man upstairs is listening....

the good thing about that particular BE CPU is the fact that it is AM3 and basically uses the same DDR3 1333MHz used today .... so all we have to do is upgrade the CPU and boot...no need for another mobo, ram etc.....

jennyh

Splendid
Thuban will be out long before Q3 2010, more like end Q1 - start Q2. The gap between shanghai and deneb was 6 months and there is no real reason to assume it will take 12 between istanbul and thuban, even with istanbul being 6 months early.

Istanbul 6 months early should equate to thuban 6 months early. The low wattage istanbuls released yesterday should be a good indication that AMD's 6-core cpu's are in pretty good condition and well ahead of the roadmap.

sanchz

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2009
Yeah, but xbit says current info is that it'll be out in Q3...
Anyway, I expect them to release it ahead of schedule.
Anyone remember "hydra" rumours about an octo-core from AMD manufactured under bulk high k dielectic 45nm due in H1 2010 about an year ago? Probably not in the roadmap anymore...

jennyh

Splendid
If you check back 18 months, xbit were probably saying istanbul would be out in Q4 2009/Q1 2010.

Istanbul was 6 months early. Just look at the history. Shanghai June 2008, Deneb January 2009.

Instanbul June 2009, Thuban January 2010?

Is this the best case? Yes I believe so, but I believe AMD are really moving their 45nm ahead at an amazing rate. 8 and 12 core Magny Cours on 45nm in Q1 2010? If that is doable then 6-core desktops are more than doable even if it means a 140w tpd as standard.

jennyh

Splendid
Probably right. In all honestly it's not much different from what intel have been doing with the Extreme Edition parts for years. Maybe AMD should aim for 12 core desktops and make sure that every reviewer gets hold of them, general availability be damned.

Status
Not open for further replies.