Distinguished
Oct 16, 2007
I'm planning to buy an AMD rig to replace my aging Intel. Can I just move the HDD from the Intel rig to the AMD one without fear of system software/driver compatibility problem? What sort of problem should I expect with this form of migration?

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2007
Yes, I use 32bit WinXP. I have to reinstall from scratch? Not that it's really a problem since I have another HDD with all the installers, but it's kind of impractical. Is there any workaround?

What happen if I try to start Windows?

Griffolion

Distinguished
May 28, 2009
Moving to AMD from Intel means a new Motherboard. Your existing HD has all it's critical files set to work with your current Intel motherboard and won't jive with the AMD board.

Its annoying, but backup all the data you want to keep ontoa DVD or whatever, replace your parts and begin to wipe your HD clean to reinstall XP to the new board.

Workarounds arent the best solution, take the time to do it properly and you'll minimise the risk of problems later down the line.

Zenthar

Distinguished
Reinstalling is the only way safe way to go.

Just switching HDD might work tho, it did for me going from an old Athlon XP to an intel C2D. It worked trouble-free for a few days, but I didn't try any benchmarks and I ended-up formatting anyway to be safe; you don't want your PC to die on you the day before your tax statement/work report/school term paper is due :p.