Sign in with
Your question

Overclock NB

Last response: in Overclocking
April 15, 2011 7:12:10 PM

I have the ASUS M4A88TD-V EVO motherboard

and I was wondering, when I overclock the NB frequency, do I raise the CPU/NB Voltage, NB Voltage, NB 1.1V Voltage or the NB 1.8V Voltage?

More about : overclock

April 15, 2011 8:19:42 PM

jaylim0512 said:
I have the ASUS M4A88TD-V EVO motherboard

and I was wondering, when I overclock the NB frequency, do I raise the CPU/NB Voltage, NB Voltage, NB 1.1V Voltage or the NB 1.8V Voltage?

You should never have to rase the NB frequency though....it automatically oc's WITH the cpu, so only overclock the cpu (the FSB) As for the voltage changing, they both can't be named NB 1.1 and NB 1.8. BUT, the Northbride voltage should be set to AUTO, and the CPU-NB voltage should be raised by .1. You shouldn't need to give it more than .1 extra voltages.
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
a b V Motherboard
April 15, 2011 8:20:15 PM

Raise the "NB Voltage".Should be the one thats at "1.1v".
Shouldn't raise it past 1.3v, the NB doesn't need that much voltage to obatin a high O.C.
Just be sure to watch your NB temps.
Which CPU are you trying to O.C.?
Related resources
April 15, 2011 10:14:46 PM

AMD Phenom II X4 955 BE

So, I'm confused. Do I ONLY change the CPU/NB Voltage nothing else? And what do you mean by they both can't be named 1.1 V and 1.8 V? There are two separate Voltages in my BIOS.
April 15, 2011 10:24:14 PM

jaylim0512 said:
AMD Phenom II X4 955 BE

So, I'm confused. Do I ONLY change the CPU/NB Voltage nothing else? And what do you mean by they both can't be named 1.1 V and 1.8 V? There are two separate Voltages in my BIOS.

I know, but i thought you called them both Northbridges instead of CPU/northbridge :p  anyway, yeah the 1.1 is the cpu/northbridge, that's the one you add voltage to. Also you need to add voltage to the cpu itself if you want to hit those higher overclocks.
April 15, 2011 10:36:31 PM

coreydmorton said:
I know, but i thought you called them both Northbridges instead of CPU/northbridge :p  anyway, yeah the 1.1 is the cpu/northbridge, that's the one you add voltage to. Also you need to add voltage to the cpu itself if you want to hit those higher overclocks.

How is the 1.1 the cpu/nb? I have a seperate setting for the cpu/nb voltage. I don't think you know what you're talking about...
April 15, 2011 10:43:07 PM

jaylim0512 said:
How is the 1.1 the cpu/nb? I have a seperate setting for the cpu/nb voltage. I don't think you know what you're talking about...

The northbridge voltage should be set to auto.
the cpu/northbridge is the one you give more voltage, and i was just guessing that the cpu/northbridge was the one with a 1.1 voltage. Am i missing something?
April 15, 2011 11:00:02 PM

]

This is what I'm talking about, there are many different types of NB voltages.
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
a b V Motherboard
April 15, 2011 11:02:15 PM

I don't think he does either...

The NB voltage is the one that is 1.1v and says Nothrbridge Voltage.Do not adjust the CPU Northbridge voltage it will make it not boot and you'll have to clear the BIOS.

What freq are you at so far with the NB?
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
a b V Motherboard
April 15, 2011 11:04:39 PM

Wow thats really confusing.Usually BIOS only list 2 different NB's.

Just up the voltage on the one that says "NB Voltage".Thats the one you want.Looks like those other NB's are presets so i wouldn't mess with them.
Try upping the voltage on the NB Voltage and go do a stress test and see if your NB temps raise any more than usual.
April 15, 2011 11:44:49 PM

purple stank said:
Wow thats really confusing.Usually BIOS only list 2 different NB's.

Just up the voltage on the one that says "NB Voltage".Thats the one you want.Looks like those other NB's are presets so i wouldn't mess with them.
Try upping the voltage on the NB Voltage and go do a stress test and see if your NB temps raise any more than usual.

So was i right? The cpu\northbridge WAS the 1.1 volt one haha and the NB volts stay at AUTO. You only adjust the 1.1 volts by .1 or .2 at the highest.
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
a b V Motherboard
April 15, 2011 11:55:42 PM

You don't adjust the CPU/NB Voltage.Adjust the NB Voltage.But your are correct only raise the voltage by .1~.3 max.
April 16, 2011 12:02:13 AM

purple stank said:
You don't adjust the CPU/NB Voltage.Adjust the NB Voltage.But your are correct only raise the voltage by .1~.3 max.

Ohh ok :p  well you seem to know what you're talking about, take it from here! :) 
ps: Wow he has like 4 nb voltages hahaha" i guess this question is out of my league, the most i've ever seen is 2, does he have 2 nb's or something?
April 16, 2011 12:27:46 AM

Adjust cpu/nb voltage nothing more than 1.35v
January 6, 2012 12:34:03 AM

Sorry to be a thread Necro, but when I see incorrect information that other people could potentially be mislead by, I have to correct it. Just to make things clear, you do NOT adjust NB Voltage. You DO indeed adjust CPU/NB Voltage by as little increments as possible.
!