Im getting a new motherboard for my computer...WHAT IS THIS MESS?!

kingneptune117

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2009
Ok well I have delved into the insides of my computer before to replace the graphics card. This was very simple and I never really took a good look at the motherboard that is in there. Today, I decided to open it up and check out the motherboard so I know what im going to be up against. WOW. There is SOOOO MANY CABLES. And im pretty sure that Acer is trying to give people epileptic seizures based on all the different colors of wire there are in there. Please help me im going from my old piece of crap motherboard to this

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.291906

Im pretty sure I wont have trouble installing the processor on the new board. I install the processor on the new board before putting it in the case, right?

Oh, heres what the inside of my computer looks like right now with the graphics card taken out (and other things that slide into the horizontal ports).

http://img121.imageshack.us/img121/2804/img1210o.jpg

Please help me define some of the major cords in here. It would be great if you can photoshop and circle the thing your defining, but just describing it works too. It's gonna be a miracle if I somehow get all this to work...

And what is that huge band thingy?

rgsaunders

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2007
Are you for real? If so, please take your build to a professional, because it would appear to be well beyond your expertise, the first problem being that the board you are proposing to install won't fit in that case. Get some help before you make some very expensive mistakes.

Is a joke right?, you want to spend $480 dollars in a mobo and processor, and put this in a SMALL CASE that only have one fan to extract the heat air and that have a micro-atx mobo, with a generic PSU.

Now, you can not install the processor in the mobo before install the mobo in the case.

GPU? ok, maybe your current case is enough for a 4650 or 7600.. but a good GPU don't fit in this case. I have a mid-tower, with a GTX260, and my GPU fit a big place inside the case.

You can tell by looking at it. Look at the PCIe-16 sockets on both motherboards.

rgsaunders is right. If you cannot recognize "that huge band thingy" as an IDE cable, you do need some help.

It's nothing to be ashamed of or offended about. We all had our "first builds" at one time or another. Mine was in 1967, but that's another story ...

kingneptune117

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2009
ya sorry about that. I already got a new GPU installed the Nvidia 9500GT.

Im going with this motherboard I believe now since it is cheaper and WILL fit haha.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130246

Dont worry im not retarded im 17. I know how to screw everything in and what now, I just dont know what the cords do.

Sorry for the bad grammar, I was in a rush. Can anyone just tell me about these different cords? If I were to take all the cords out, insert the new mobo, and plug them all back in based off my memory, a picture of the old set up, and just seeing if the cords fit in the right place, I probably wouldnt be to well off.

I want to understand it.

kingneptune117

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2009
Oh and about the PSU and air cooling, I think I should be ok with this mobo and the processor. In the future I may upgrade to a bigger case but for now this should do. Im getting this new processor based off a lot of research on what works best for FSX based off the budget I have right now.

If you have never installed a MB and PSU before, you will likely need help. Like others have said, it would be bad to destroy hundreds of dollars of delicate equiptment while learning. Simple answer: When removing the PSU, write down or diagram every PSU lead you remove and remember where it attached to the MB. Write it down or draw a diagram. Then when installing the PSU refer to your notes and digrams and do eveything in reverse installing it. Do not just start unplugging everything at once. Have someone who knows how to assemble a system help you.

xanxaz

Distinguished
May 3, 2005
its not rocket science. buy the board and READ THE MANUAL before atempting anything. it´s quite easy. the tunning part it's more complicated though. just read and check twice what you are doing

threednonsense

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2009
@xanxaz

Your comment is the best and most helpful that I've seen so far. Your right, it isn't rocket science.

@kingneptune117

Your looking at building a whole new build, because the case connectors as nobody has mentioned looks proprietary. Meaning, you have to get a new case if your getting a different mobo. And I don't mean to be mean, but there's like two connectors that you needed to hook up. I would either take the time to learn, or take it in to a professional.

If your taking the time to learn and you run into trouble with something with a connector you don't understand, just ask. As I know that some manuals don't thoroughly explain things well. Although, that's not very common and you should be fine if you read.

Mod edit: Cut the crap.

My edit: Tell me how that wasn't totally legit, factual and VERY informative. Looks like to me, your just offended because I gave a very good answer and you feel like you had to respond because it's past your ability and knowledge. *cleans nails on shirt. Who needs to cut the crap again?...

rand_79

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2009
you are getting a new power supply too right? and new memory?

putting a new motherboard processor and video card in with a crap 15$ oem power supply is fail.

the new board is ddr3 memory.. the old board is ddr2...

also a 50$ video card with that processor and motherboard will be a huge bottleneck, return it and get a good video card. at least a nvidia 9800gt or ati 4850

you can mount the processor and heatsink while its not in the case, in fact on many you have to.. because some boards... the heat sink has a backplane that goes behind the motherboard.

also you should reinstall windows. Do you have a windows cd/dvd ready?

If you cant recognize an IDE cable you should grab a buddy and have him help you. Have him over for dinner or something.

Edited:for clarity