Sign in with
Your question

Help me overclock my Q6600 and give it new life!

Last response: in Overclocking
April 15, 2011 7:34:12 PM

Hey guys,

So I bought this system off a friend for 350 bucks. I believe the CPU is bottlenecking my XFX GTS 250 SLI. I would like to maybe OC the CPU to at least 3.2 if not even higher! I believe my Q6600 is a G0 but I will check when I get home. How should I go about overclocking this dying beast to give it new life? Should I adjust the FSB in the BIOS or use an overclocking program such as SetFSB? Adjust voltages? Any help would be appreciated! Thanks! :hello: 

System Specs:

Processor: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 @ 2.4 GHz
Motherboard: XFX 680i LT SLI (MB-N680- ILT9)
Video Card: (2x SLI) XFX GTS 250 512MB (GS250XYDFU) w/ Spire Slimod 282 Cooler
PSU: OCZ 750W Fatal1ty Series Modular
Case: NZXT Phantom Full Tower(black)
Drives: DVD Burner w/ Lightscribe
CPU Cooler: Titan Hati CPU Cooler w/ 2 fans
RAM: OCZ SLI-Ready Dual Channel DDR2 800 4GB 2 x 2GB
a c 172 à CPUs
a c 197 K Overclocking
April 15, 2011 7:46:43 PM

You should learn to use the BIOS.

This should be your first stop.
Core2 Overclocking Guide
http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/259899-11-core-over...

Next stop should be a guide for your particular motherboard. Google is your friend.

Go through the guides. Then take your core voltage off Auto and set your memory voltage to factory recommended values. Change the memory clock to set the Memory Frequency to twice the FSB. Then when you increase the FSB, the memory clock will rise in in proportion with it. At an FSB frequency of 266 MHz (FSB clock of 1066 MHz - 266 MHz X 4), your memory clock should be at 533 MHz.

Don't bother trying to overclock the memory. In a Core2 system, it won't do much.

At a core speed of 3.3 GHz, your FSB freq will be 367 MHz and your memory clock will be 733 MHz.

Don't exceed 1.5 volts vcore and keep your load temps under 70 C.
April 15, 2011 7:53:39 PM

jsc said:
You should learn to use the BIOS.

This should be your first stop.
Core2 Overclocking Guide
http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/259899-11-core-over...

Next stop should be a guide for your particular motherboard. Google is your friend.

Go through the guides. Then take your core voltage off Auto and set your memory voltage to factory recommended values. Change the memory clock to set the Memory Frequency to twice the FSB. Then when you increase the FSB, the memory clock will rise in in proportion with it. At an FSB frequency of 266 MHz (FSB clock of 1066 MHz - 266 MHz X 4), your memory clock should be at 533 MHz.

Don't bother trying to overclock the memory. In a Core2 system, it won't do much.

At a core speed of 3.3 GHz, your FSB freq will be 367 MHz and your memory clock will be 733 MHz.

Don't exceed 1.5 volts vcore and keep your load temps under 70 C.

Ah wow yes I definitely have a lot to learn! This seems a lot harder than Overclocking my Alienware M11X (Which was pretty much a click of a button by going into bios and setting the FSB!) I will come back with more knowledge! :) 
!