• PCI Express
  • Graphics Cards
  • HD
  • Graphics
  • Product
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
June 17, 2009 10:18:24 PM

I'm looking at the following two cards:

SAPPHIRE Vapor-X Radeon HD 4870 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card - Retail

and

SAPPHIRE TOXIC Radeon HD 4870 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card - Retail

$10 difference after MIR.

Which one's better? All the reviews I found were about the Toxic and mentioned Vapor-X, so what's with this other card? How come it's more expensive if it's not overclocked and has a smaller bundle!?

EDIT: It appears that I listed the same card twice - question makes more sense now that I fixed it! Sorry. :??: 

More about : sapphire 4870 toxic vapor

a c 206 U Graphics card
June 17, 2009 10:23:11 PM

you linked to the vapor-x twice.

Is this the one you were talking about?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

If you look at the sub header it appears that the toxic is a slightly older form of vapor-x.

EDIT: Looking at the sapphire website, the toxic series uses hybrid cooling combining vapor-x with heatsinks, where as the vapor-x series only uses the vapor-x technology and is supposed to run quieter and be cheaper, but it would seem newegg screwed up the pricing scheme so take advantage of it.
June 17, 2009 11:33:17 PM

Thanks for the reply, hunter. One thing that makes me lean towards the Vapor-X is that the card seems to be smaller (ie shorter).
Plus, the cooler fan looks definitely larger than on the toxic. Does that mean lower temps, or at least a quieter card?
I'm in fact not really concerned about OC performance, more about cool 'n quiet.

Wish I could find a review of the Vapor-X card! All I can find is reviews for the toxic, and for the Vapor-X 2GB which is too much for me.
Related resources
June 18, 2009 12:00:45 AM

Cooling probably won't differ greatly but the vapor-x card is significantly quieter from what I've read.
June 18, 2009 11:45:22 AM

Bobzzz yeah that's what I'm thinking too (based only on gut feeling though).
You wouldn't happen to have a link? The only ones I could find were about the Vapor-X 2GB card.
Although come think of it, if the only difference is the amount of RAM the temps and noise should be basically the same, right?

EDIT: Finally managed to find a review of the Sapphire Vapor-X Radeon HD 4870 1GB card right here.
Funny how the emphasize that this card is cheaper than the Toxic edition, when I find the exact opposite to be true!
I think I wanna get this card, but I suspect we could see a drop in pricing. It just doesn't make sense that it would cost more than the overclocked Toxic version!
June 19, 2009 2:32:44 PM

And bingo! The price of the Sapphire 4870 Vapor-X just dropped by $30 while the Toxic remains the same. I knew it! ;-)
!