converting back to fat32 from ntfs

June 21, 2004 11:54:46 AM

i recently upgraded my lapton from ME to XP and when doing
so converted to ntfs from fat32. I have discovered that XP
uses too much memory on my laptop and has slowed it down
so much that any task takes a lifetime to complete. i
wanted to uninstall XP, however i am told this cannot be
done (microsoft.com) if i cobverted to ntfs. Can anyone
please help me by telling me how i can convert back to
Fat32 from NTFS? or alternativly tell me another way of
uninstalling XP (i dont mind losing the programmes that
are already stored)
Many thanks
A. Rais
Anonymous
June 21, 2004 1:46:02 PM

You will need a 3rd party application to convert NTFS to FAT32:
http://www.bootitng.com/
http://www.symantec.com/partitionmagic/

Otherwise Windows XP can not be uninstalled, but you can partition the
drive (effectively removing Windows XP and all other data) and perform
a Clean Installation of Windows 98:
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=221829
And
http://aumha.org/win4/a/clean.htm

--
Jupiter Jones [MVP]
http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/

"A. Rais" <albino4every1@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> i recently upgraded my lapton from ME to XP and when doing
> so converted to ntfs from fat32. I have discovered that XP
> uses too much memory on my laptop and has slowed it down
> so much that any task takes a lifetime to complete. i
> wanted to uninstall XP, however i am told this cannot be
> done (microsoft.com) if i cobverted to ntfs. Can anyone
> please help me by telling me how i can convert back to
> Fat32 from NTFS? or alternativly tell me another way of
> uninstalling XP (i dont mind losing the programmes that
> are already stored)
> Many thanks
> A. Rais
Anonymous
June 21, 2004 10:57:42 PM

Greetings --

The normal way to "uninstall" _any_ operating system is to format
the hard drive and install a new OS of your choice.

However, if you performed an upgrade from Win98/Me, elected to
backup the old system files, and didn't convert the partition to NTFS,
then all you need do is boot into Safe Mode and Start > Control Panel
> Add/Remove Programs. All of these conditions _must_ be met for the
uninstall option to be available.

Otherwise:

How to Manually Remove Win XP and Restore Win9x
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q314052

Bruce Chambers
--
Help us help you: