Using RAID 0 alongside standalone SSD

G

Hello,

I hope you are well. I have been searching the net to no avail and I hope someone can help!

Is it at all possible to do the following:
-Have two HDDs (500GB each) in RAID 0
-A single, non-RAIDed solid state disk on which your OS (Windows 7 pro in my case) will sit?

My motherboard is a Gigabyte GA-EP35C-DS3R.

I look forward to your advice.
Regards

arkoon

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2011
I think if you have MB set for RAID you have to boot from a RAID array. If you have a separate controller/sata ports (marvell,jmicron) on that board you could use one of those to boot.

Jgospo

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2011
I actually have an odd problem coming from the same setup. I'm running two 640GB caviar blacks in RAID 0 and just put a Force 3 60gb on it's own, on an EVGA x58 SLI. The odd thing is, on each boot, my RAID array randomly either 1. picks up the SSD and OS still fails to load from RAID 0, 2. doesn't pick up the SSD at all and then doesn't include one of the 640s in the raid (non member) meaning OS fails, or 3. picks up the SSD and decides to boot the OS from the raid.

I flashed BIOS prior to installing. No clue where to start here because once it's detected and I boot up, the SSD works fine. Just very touchy when I'm trying to power up.

Setting the controller to RAID mode will treat drives that have not been put into a RAID set as single AHCI drives.

OP: What you describe should work. There was a similar thread recently. I'll look for it and post a link if I find it. Edit: http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/forum2.php?config=tomshardwareus.inc&cat=32&post=271799&page=1&p=1&sondage=0&owntopic=1&trash=0&trash_post=0&print=0&numreponse=0&quote_only=0&new=0&nojs=0