Sign in with
Your question

First WC Build - Looking for Advice

Last response: in Overclocking
April 16, 2011 5:30:49 PM

Hello,

This is my first time doing a water cool build. ANY advice on my build is welcome :) 

Spoiler
I have read the XtremeSystems fan roundup #1 and #2 and the PTS 120mm Yate Loon D12SH-12 seemed to be best but for some reason there is no "Add to Cart" button for them anymore.

So, does anyone have advice for 3 x 120mm x 25mm fans to go on a radiator that pushes good air and are on the quiet side?
I don't really have a budget but I am not a hardcore gamer (Only play World of Warcraft, Starcraft 2, and Diablo 3 when it comes out).
Also needs to be from a website that ships to Canada (newegg.ca, frozencpu.com) please.

Here is my setup so far:

Case: Corsair Obsidian Series 800D
Pump: Swiftech MCP35X
Radiator: XSPC RX360 Triple 120mm Radiator
RAD Fans: 3 x Scythe Gentle Typhoon 120MM 1450RPM 21DB 45.9CFM or BitFenix Spectre 120MM 1,000RPM 18 dBA 52CFM (LED color depends on my case color scheme)
Reservoir: XSPC Dual 5.25" Bay - DDC Dual Pump / Dual Split Reservoirs w/ Blue LED Light - Clear or Koolance RP-402X2 Dual 5.25in Reservoir
CPU Waterblock: Koolance CPU-370 Liquid Cooling Extreme CPU Block
Reservoir KillCoils: IandH Silver KillCoils - Antimicrobial .999 Fine Silver Tubing / Reservoir Strip
Tubing: PrimoChill PrimoFlex PRO LRT Tubing 1/2"ID 3/4"OD with 1/8" Wall - UV Blue (10ft) (Color depends on my case color scheme)
Tempature Sensor: Bitspower BP-WTP-CT G1/4 Temperature Sensor
T-Block: Bitspower BP-TB-CL Crystal T-BLOCK
Fittings:
4 x Bitspower 1/2"ID - 3/4"OD Rotary 45 Deg. Angled Compression Fitting Silver
1 x Bitspower -TRUE SILVER- G1/4 High Flow 1/2IN Barb Fitting

Motherboard: ASUS Maximus IV Extreme-Z or ASUS P8Z68 DELUXE/GEN3 or ASUS Maximus V EXTREME
CPU: Intel Core i5 2500K or Intel Core i5 3570K
RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB F3-12800CL9D-8GBXL (Not 100% sure yet)
PSU: CORSAIR HX850 or CORSAIR Professional Series HX1050
GPU: MSI R7850 Power Edition 2GD5/OC

Extra Fans: 2 x Scythe Gentle Typhoon 120MM 1450RPM 21DB 45.9CFM or BitFenix Spectre 120MM 1,000RPM 18 dBA 52CFM (LED color depends on my case color scheme)

Just need to find the right tubes, fittings, killcoils? And I haven't thought about what color scheme I'd like yet.
I appreciate any kind of feedback you'd have for me.

Click to view Edits -
Spoiler
EDIT1: Changed radiator to a GTX 360
EDIT2: Changed radiator to a XSPC RX360
EDIT3: Added Reservoir
EDIT4: Changed CPU Block, added Killcoils, Changed pump from 655 to 35x
EDIT5: Changed case from HAF X to Corsair Obsidian Series 800D
EDIT6: Added Tubing, and changed the title of post
EDIT7: Changed PSU from 1000W to 850W, Changed tubing to 1/2 ID
EDIT8: Changed Reservoir
EDIT9: Changed CPU Block
EDIT10: Changed Motherboard, CPU and RAM
EDIT11: Changed GPU and added fittings

More about : build advice

a c 330 K Overclocking
April 16, 2011 5:59:08 PM

Good looking setup; more pricey than the Rasa kit, but will move more water and good if you are looking to expand it much beyond this in the future.

Curious as to why you chose those components...they are all great choices, but what was your driving factors?

Pump- good. I actually run the same one.
Radiator- good.
CPU block- good.

As for fans, there are several that most people use...I use Gentle Typhoons. Some people use Scythe, others use Yate Loons or Coolermasters. It really is preference for each person and many perform similar to others in some situations and differently in others. For radiators, the above mentioned are all commonly used, but that doesn't mean there aren't others that are very viable options as well.
m
l
April 16, 2011 6:05:45 PM

rubix_1011 said:
Good looking setup; more pricey than the Rasa kit, but will move more water and good if you are looking to expand it much beyond this in the future.

Curious as to why you chose those components...they are all great choices, but what was your driving factors?

I am looking to be able to expand in the future which is why I didn't want to just buy a kit.

I've been doing research for about 2 days and chose the components that get the best reviews here at tomshardware.com and other sites.
m
l
Related resources
a c 330 K Overclocking
April 16, 2011 7:48:59 PM

Depending on preference, the MCP355, MCP35x and MCP655 are all VERY solid pumps. The DDC pumps (MCP350/355/35x) are small, compact and powerful. With added tops for the 350 and 355, they improve in performance. The MCP35x even outperforms the MCP655/D5 even though it shares the same footprint as its DDC cousins.

If you have the room for the 655, its a great pump. But the others are as well. There are also pumps by Jingway and Hydor that aren't as well-known, but do well. Eheim is a popular European pump. I'm trying to think of a couple others, but I'm drawing a blank. The MCP line of Swiftech/Laing pumps is by far the most common though...and all work very well.
m
l
April 16, 2011 8:43:30 PM

rubix_1011 said:
Depending on preference, the MCP355, MCP35x and MCP655 are all VERY solid pumps. The DDC pumps (MCP350/355/35x) are small, compact and powerful. With added tops for the 350 and 355, they improve in performance. The MCP35x even outperforms the MCP655/D5 even though it shares the same footprint as its DDC cousins.

If you have the room for the 655, its a great pump. But the others are as well. There are also pumps by Jingway and Hydor that aren't as well-known, but do well. Eheim is a popular European pump. I'm trying to think of a couple others, but I'm drawing a blank. The MCP line of Swiftech/Laing pumps is by far the most common though...and all work very well.

I did a comparison of the 655 vs 35x but I am not sure there would be room for the 35x with reservoir on top inside of the case.

So I was thinking about getting the 655 with a EK-Multioption RES X2 - 150 Advanced and mount the reservoir to the right of the motherboard and putting the pump in the hard drive bay like this image shows:

(Source: [Project] Water-Cooled HAF 932, Painted Satin Black)
m
l
a c 330 K Overclocking
April 16, 2011 9:10:27 PM

The 35x is much smaller than the 655...there would be less room for a res if you were using the 655. There are also bay res's and you can also get bay res/pump combos...

For instance, this one would hold a single MCP355 or a MCP35x.

http://www.performance-pcs.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=59_318_665&products_id=3542

There are also the same types of reservoirs for the D5/MCP655's. http://www.performance-pcs.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=59_318_665&products_id=27998

Those are some of the cheaper options, some of the res's are more expensive like the DD Monsson. Again, there are many options...so take your time to figure out what is out there before you click the 'buy' button.

The guy above could have cleaned up that loop with a D5 combo bay res/pump.

:) 
m
l
April 17, 2011 2:29:14 AM

A bay reservoir is brilliant. Thanks.

But I do like the looks of having the reservoir mounted next to the motherboard.

Something like this:

(Source: Liquid Cooling Case Gallery)

Is there any Cons to having a Pump/Res bay?
m
l
a c 330 K Overclocking
April 17, 2011 2:43:31 AM

Not really. It's pretty much preference. If you have the space for res and pump separately, do what works for you and your design plans. Some like to conserve space and hide their pump with the bay res combo, some like the top/res with their pump...some like the pump and res completely separate to show them off.

Just take some time and figure out what you like best and what you think you'd want to run in your rig.
m
l
a b K Overclocking
April 17, 2011 3:21:27 AM

I'm not sure if i missed something ..what's wrong with the pump he already have ?
I thought the OP was looking for some good fans
Edir; i don't see anything wrong with his existing set up
m
l
April 17, 2011 3:24:12 AM

Thanks a lot for the feedback rubix.

I think I will also try to get 3 x GentleTyphoon's. They seem like good fans and I think they will go nicely with a Black Ice GTX Xtreme 360 Radiator - Black according to the SkinneeLabs Triple Radiator Comparison

ortoklaz said:
I'm not sure if i missed something ..what's wrong with the pump he already have ?
I thought the OP was looking for some good fans

He said there was nothing wrong with the 655 pump. He was just saying there are more options. I think I will still go with the 655, but maybe the 35x in case I want to change my setup and have the reservoir on top of the 35x in the future.
m
l
a b K Overclocking
April 17, 2011 3:27:35 AM

Ok i get it ..LOL i thought the picture above was your rig
m
l
a b K Overclocking
April 17, 2011 3:31:13 AM

are you looking to build quite set up or the noise don't bother you ?
GTX Xtreme 360 Radiator (30FPI)- require high RPM fans..around 2200
m
l
a c 330 K Overclocking
April 17, 2011 3:37:07 AM

^Yeah, I'd reconsider the BIX rad (Black Ice Xtreme). There are better options in that price range that can use cheaper and quieter fans.
m
l
April 17, 2011 6:12:43 AM

ortoklaz said:
are you looking to build quite set up or the noise don't bother you ?
GTX Xtreme 360 Radiator (30FPI)- require high RPM fans..around 2200

I'd like a rig that isn't loud, if possible, but noise doesn't bother me overly much either.

According to SkinneeLabs - Triple Radiator Comparison V2 - Conclusion the GTX Xtreme 360 Radiator (which is 20 FPI not 30) it will perform well with 1800+ RPM fans.

rubix_1011 said:
^Yeah, I'd reconsider the BIX rad (Black Ice Xtreme). There are better options in that price range that can use cheaper and quieter fans.

How loud are the GentleTyphoon's? Spec's show that it shouldn't be too loud.

EDIT: Okay, think I will go with a XSPC RX360 Triple 120mm Radiator. It's slightly cheaper and works best with 1000 RPM fans.
m
l
a b K Overclocking
April 17, 2011 7:27:49 AM

1909120,14,870157 said:
I'd like a rig that isn't loud, if possible, but noise doesn't bother me overly much either.

According to SkinneeLabs - Triple Radiator Comparison V2 - Conclusion the GTX Xtreme 360 Radiator (which is 20 FPI not 30) it will perform well with 1800+ RPM fans.

My bad... not 30 but 20 lol, and yes as mention in Conclusion ..you still will need 1800+ fan "..speed you want to run them at. However, I don’t recommend a GTX360''..any fan above 1600RPM is audible it may not be for you, but i would recommend 8~14 FPI RAD for best results ,when you comparing all the rad's in Skinnee table look for the rad that will give you best Delta at the lowest RPM ,you also want to consider restriction and quality of the RAD
so if you like GTX so much get it , don't forget the ear plugs and don't bother with dust filters ..this type of rad's catch dust better than air filters
m
l
a b K Overclocking
April 17, 2011 7:44:33 AM

OK ! now you talking
for similar price look in to SR1 rad's (great rad's for 800~1600RPM) or if you want best bang for your buck Swiftech MCR320-QP
here are some fans for RX;(@1350RPM you won't need fan controller)
http://www.aquatuning.us/index.php/cat/c266_Yate-Loon.h...
for MCR320-QP ..1600 RPM
m
l
April 17, 2011 7:50:52 AM

I did look at the SR1 but it's better with low speed fans. The RX360 gives me room for error.

Thank you for that website, I was looking for Yate Loon fans.
These should be perfect... http://www.aquatuning.us/product_info.php/info/p2146_Ya...

Also added a reservoir to my setup. Just need to find the right tubes, fittings, killcoils?
m
l
a b K Overclocking
April 17, 2011 2:02:41 PM

What type of res.,link?
You can go with kill coil or PT Nuke, barbs or compressions ?
m
l
April 17, 2011 8:28:50 PM

ortoklaz said:
What type of res.,link?
You can go with kill coil or PT Nuke, barbs or compressions ?

Everything I have decided on I have been adding the my first post.

Reservoir: Danger Den RAD-Reservoir

I just got around to researching fittings... I am liking compression fittings but people say they leak =/
m
l
a b K Overclocking
April 17, 2011 8:32:48 PM

nice Res. ,no.. compressions do not leak if properly tighten (all tho they will add up to you total budget significantly )
looks good ,good luck and keep us updated
m
l
April 17, 2011 8:39:47 PM

I don't mind the cost too much. I just want some thing that looks good, and I can add onto later if I want (GPU Block, RAM Block, VGA).

Also thinking about changing my case to a Corsair Obsidian Series 800D.

I'm not sure what size tubing / fittings to get. Any suggestions?
m
l
April 17, 2011 9:22:53 PM

This is great information. Thank you.
m
l
April 18, 2011 3:30:15 AM

Been doing research on fan setup for the radiator (pull, push, push / pull) and I just keep getting lots of mixed answers.

Seems a lot of people like to pull fresh air onto the radiator.

I am a little confused how to do push / pull still. But this is what I am thinking it is: Mount 3 fans to the top of my case blowing air into the case, mount the radiator to those fans, then mount 3 more fans to the bottom of the radiator blowing air up. Is this correct? If so, that a good idea generally?

Since you guys already know my setup and have given me great advice, what would you recommend?

Also, since I changed cases from a HAF X to a Corsair Obsidian Series 800D should I go back to the 655 pump? I'm now afraid the 35x won't be strong enough for such a large case =/
m
l
a b K Overclocking
April 18, 2011 3:40:38 AM

it all depends from the type of RAD and the fan...geve me few min. i got to find something
so i can explain better for you
Edit; you would be suppressed how powerful X35 is
m
l
April 18, 2011 5:36:19 AM

Still a bit confused.

is that graph saying the best setup for me would be to:

Mount fans on top of case.
Then the shroud.
Then the radiator.

With the fans blowing the air out the top of the case?
m
l
April 18, 2011 6:28:25 AM

Ah thanks. Trying not to mod my case for my first build. I'll be doing some mods after awhile though :) 
m
l
April 18, 2011 8:20:07 AM

Aleckazee said:
Just a quick question here, what if you set it up so that there are fans on either side of the rad both pushing air onto it? is that possible?

that'd be push / push? Don't see that working well. I think there'd be serious air flow issues
m
l
April 18, 2011 9:20:07 AM

ok, just wondering. thanks for clearing that up for me
m
l
a c 330 K Overclocking
April 18, 2011 3:55:57 PM

Quote:
hat'd be push / push? Don't see that working well. I think there'd be serious air flow issues

Yeah, you wouldn't want to do this at all. For one, it basically cancels out any airflow either set of fans would create. Secondly, it would trap the heat from the rad in the middle and keep it there.

Now I'm sure that some would dissipate, but there is a potential for this to only perform slightly better than a completly passive radiator. Some heat will make it out due to the turbulence, but not an ideal setup at all.

In push/pull, both fans are blowing the same direction...the radiator simply sits between them.
m
l
April 19, 2011 11:08:50 AM

Anyone know how hard it is (or even possible) to mount a Danger Den RAD-Reservoir to the back of the motherboard plate? I'm assuming I'll just have to drill 4 holes, but I think I'll have to do that with any tube reservoir.

I am trying to stick with this reservoir because I want to go with a UV Blue / Chrome look.

I am also trying to figure out a good way to drain the system. I was thinking about putting a Koolance G1/4" Brass Inline Drain Valve Fitting on the pump then run some tubing from it and attach a Koolance QDC (Extreme Flow) No-Spill, Male Compression (13mm, 1/2" x 19mm, 3/4") at the end. Will that work?
m
l
a c 330 K Overclocking
April 19, 2011 1:38:40 PM

Mounting the reservoir to the back of your motherboard plate? Or the back of your case?

I think you might want to be careful about having screws and bolts close to your MB...there are tons of solder contacts and exposed circuitry that could short out if you contact a ground in the wrong place.

Your QDC links are broken...not sure exactly where you are trying to put the T-line to drain...usually before the pump inlet ...this helps with filling...draining should be as simple as disconnecting and letting gravity pull out the water.
m
l
April 19, 2011 3:40:11 PM

I fixed the links.

To the back of the case, what the motherboard get's mounted to. Like the picture a few posts earlier.

Here is a very crappy image I made to give you an idea what I have in mind.
m
l
a b K Overclocking
April 19, 2011 3:44:55 PM

draven714 said:
Anyone know how hard it is (or even possible) to mount a Danger Den RAD-Reservoir to the back of the motherboard plate? I'm assuming I'll just have to drill 4 holes, but I think I'll have to do that with any tube reservoir.

I am trying to stick with this reservoir because I want to go with a UV Blue / Chrome look.

I am also trying to figure out a good way to drain the system. I was thinking about putting a Koolance G1/4" Brass Inline Drain Valve Fitting on the pump then run some tubing from it and attach a Koolance QDC (Extreme Flow) No-Spill, Male Compression (13mm, 1/2" x 19mm, 3/4") at the end. Will that work?

yes you can mount you res next to MB (drill holes through back wall where MB is attached)
note; this res is specifically designed for 120MM fan attachment(reg. 120 MM fan hole spacing )
Inline drain valve goes in the lowest part of you loop(cut tubing and attach)
You only need QD's if you removing you CPU/gpu a lot ,other wise no need to (the best QD's are VLN3)
http://skinneelabs.com/quick-disconnect-roundup/
m
l
a c 330 K Overclocking
April 19, 2011 3:53:02 PM

Yeah, that makes a lot more sense. You can do that, just be careful when drilling.
m
l
April 19, 2011 5:11:37 PM

Maybe it will be better to do a QDC on the input of the pump.

Been looking at some many setups that I don't even know what to do anymore. So many options :) 
m
l
a b K Overclocking
April 19, 2011 5:14:09 PM

what's the reason for QD,why you need it ?
m
l
April 19, 2011 5:16:15 PM

Put the QDC at the end of the tube that runs from the Res to Pump. Just disconnect it from the pump and drain.
m
l
April 20, 2011 12:08:38 PM

Decided to change my setup... again. Gonna with with a XSPC Pump / Res bay. Only problem is that I read the grooves aren't deep enough to slide into the 800D case so I'll have to use a rotary tool to make them deeper :( 
m
l
a b K Overclocking
April 20, 2011 12:41:13 PM

Wish everyone would keep thier OP updated as well as Draven has, nice job.
m
l
a c 330 K Overclocking
April 20, 2011 1:50:00 PM

Either are a good choice...and you would see between 1-2C difference in temps (tops). Make the choice on which you prefer...either will perform very well.
m
l
April 20, 2011 1:51:44 PM

Thanks rubix, forgot to edit my last post. I found a review on the Koolance CPU-370 at Skinnee. I'm gonna go with it, not just because it sounded good but because it will go with my UV Blue / Chrome look.
m
l
!