Sign in with
Your question

Water Cooling i5 750 in my Antec 900 II build thread

Last response: in Overclocking
a c 100 K Overclocking
April 16, 2011 6:04:56 PM

Hey guys (and gals)!

Finally got my Swiftech Edge 220 WC kit all installed as well as new case fans and a fan controller. Pretty happy with it, and these new case fans are super quiet which is great when I'm not gaming.

So, here it goes:

Shipment arrived:
-Swiftech Edge 220 WC kit
-3x CoolMaster Sickle Flow fans
-1x Silverstone Air Penetrator fan
-Scythe Kaze Master 6 channel fan controller
-Arctic MX3 thermal paste

I made a huuuuge mess:

Finally got it all installed:

Just for fun, here's my lapped i5 750:

a c 100 K Overclocking
April 16, 2011 6:07:18 PM

And here it is turned on:

Temps dropped around 8C or so at idle and at least 10C under load. Where I was topping out around 80C at a high overclock it's now barely reaching 70C.

I was able to achieve my new highest OC. It wasn't 100% stable but it passed a few runs of Intel Burn Test:
4.3ghz
http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=1770577
a b K Overclocking
April 16, 2011 7:29:47 PM

Nice looking build wolfram...just out of curiosity what CPU cooler were you using before?
Related resources
a c 324 K Overclocking
April 16, 2011 7:38:45 PM

Nice work, my friend. Thanks for the pics and update as well. I'm curious as to how crazy that pump works...i've heard a lot of great things about the MCP35x...considering one myself.

Keep working on that OC and BIOS tweaks...you might squeeze a little more out of her. Dropping 10C at load on your OC is pretty significant.
a c 100 K Overclocking
April 16, 2011 7:56:03 PM

orangejuice789 said:
Nice looking build wolfram...just out of curiosity what CPU cooler were you using before?

Zalman CNPS10X Extreme. It was pretty good, but once the voltages were getting high the temps kind of sky rocketed lol.
a c 182 K Overclocking
April 17, 2011 2:01:11 AM

Umm err ah! where you hiding the Bravura?
Actually i have a good idea, hidden in bottom slot.
Nice temps ! ;) 
a b K Overclocking
April 17, 2011 2:34:58 AM

@ OP - Yeah i know what you mean, its definitely a common issue, i had a similar air cooler and temps shot way up after a certain amount of Overclocking and overvolting.
a c 100 K Overclocking
April 17, 2011 3:36:44 AM

davcon said:
Umm err ah! where you hiding the Bravura?
Actually i have a good idea, hidden in bottom slot.
Nice temps ! ;) 

Nope! It goes 5850, Bravura, 5850, GT240 from top to bottom :) 

That's the only reason I bought Scythe Setsugen coolers for my 5850s. Otherwise I would have bought much bigger ones lol - but for whatever reason only these ones and the Zalman VF1000 are single slot coolers. I was pretty frustrated I couldn't buy the sapphire vapor-x, msi lightning, asus directcu, etc... coolers alone.

Here's a close up from before... you can sort of see some capacitors between the two GPUs - that's the Bravura.
a c 100 K Overclocking
April 17, 2011 8:31:30 PM

Update:

I've settled in a nice OC of 4070mhz for daily usage. I ran a Real Temp sensor test using Prime95. Results are a bit odd since it shows distance to TJ Max instead of the actual temp, but just subtract it from 100 for the real temp...

Also you can see the MCP35x PWM function works great. I have it set to go from 10% to 50% I believe. 50% speed is fine, but noticeable. At 100% speed it is a tad on the loud side for sure. However, the fans are louder at around 1800+RPM than the pump so ultimately it's not going to matter much. Anyway the way I have it set up, I also run the rad fans off the mobo and set them to a quiet setting so they only increased a couple hundred RPM and stay very quiet.
April 17, 2011 9:29:06 PM

Nice build!

I've never actually seen one of those Edge kits set up. Nice and compact.
a c 100 K Overclocking
April 18, 2011 3:06:46 PM

Well I have these older photos uploaded from before, and since this is my "build" thread, I might as well show the evolution of my PC since I first built it last May.

So this is it imediately after first putting it together (with an MSI P55GD65 mobo):

And first power on:

A couple months later I already added the second 5850, the Bravura sound card, and the GT 240 for PhysX (Also replaced the mobo, the MSI one died on me. Free replacement to an Asus P7P55D Pro):

After that, I was tired of my 5850s sounding like jets when I played games so I bought the Scythe Setsugens. The VRM heat sink it comes with it the shittiest POS, it was like 3mm wide and barely made it across all the VRMs. So, I made my own modification. I attached all the heatsinks with Arctic Silver thermal adhesive because the sticky tape wouldn't hold them (in fact one fell off and broke a fan blade. Luckily I got it replaced free).

Here's the VRM mod:

And then after I installed those, I also bought another 4gb of RAM so I had to flip my heat sink around because the fan interefered with the first RAM slot. So, I then flipped my case fans around to try and improve the CPU cooling... wasn't bad but wasn't great either.

And that's basically where I was until I got the WC...
a c 100 K Overclocking
April 19, 2011 8:48:29 PM

Just ordered some 90 degree barbs for the rad and I also bought a pair of Scythe S Flex FDB fans for the rad which are nice and quiet - certainly better than the stock pieces of crap it came with lol. I think once I get the barbs on I'll be done, in the mean time I spent a while last night figuring out optimal temp sensor placement lol.
April 19, 2011 9:30:10 PM

wolfram23 said:
Just ordered some 90 degree barbs for the rad and I also bought a pair of Scythe S Flex FDB fans for the rad which are nice and quiet - certainly better than the stock pieces of crap it came with lol.

It was right about this point I realized my ability to make a cool looking setup far outstripped my financial resources. Those nice fittings can really add up!

I've got a par of 90 degree rotaries for getting to the universal blocks on my graphics card. Very useful devices.
a c 324 K Overclocking
April 19, 2011 9:34:57 PM

^Those are what I need.

And yes, you can drop a small fortune in compression fittings.
a c 100 K Overclocking
April 19, 2011 9:47:47 PM

Yeah I was a bit surprised they're $10 each, although I price matched to $8.30 or so. Still, with shipping it's about $25 for two little fittings =/
April 19, 2011 10:01:40 PM

Yeah. For stuff like fittings I usually float to Jab-tech and pick the cheapest shipping option. Or me, at least, that tends to be the cheapest combination of shipping and actual product price.
!