Help me sort these options out for AMD Builds

rast4man

Distinguished
May 30, 2009
Here is my current Hardware:

Abit KN9-Ultra Mobo, Tuniq Tower 120, AMD X2 6000+, 2x2GB G.Skill DDR2800 RAM, 74 GB Raptor 10kRPM, 2 x 500 WD 7200 RPM HD's, 2 x WD 640GB 2700. HD's, ASUS EAH4870 Vid Card, PC Power & Cooling 750w PSU, Sunbeam Transformer Case w/ 3 x 80mm 1 x 120mm Fans, Windows 7 RC1 x64. Windows Index Rating 5.9 (determined by lowest score which oddly is the Hard Drive. Makes no sense using a 10k RPM drive with over 80% free, I digress)

Available Hardware:

Gigabyte GA-Ma78GM-US2H Mobo, 2x2GB G.Skill DDR2 1066 Ram, AMD Phenom 9850 BE, Chieftec Case w/ plenty of fans, more drives, etc.

Here is what I did before:

I built the AMD Phenom with the Gigabyte Mobo but it was idling really hot and hit over 62c on load. I used a Xigmatek Rifle Cooler with it and now that is gone. The only thing I didn't try was the Tuniq Tower on that build. The Gigabyte Mobo is a micro and has the ram slots pretty close to the CPU Socket and also the NorthBridge is directly over where the PCI x sits. The Asus card I have puts out some serious heat since it's already overclocked from ASUS and I don't want it to add to the heating issue.

What I am looking for/purpose of this post:

Based on the hardware that I have, I would like to know if anyone has used similar hardware and was able to keep the AMD Phenom relatively cool? I don't want to tear these down and do it for nothing (again). The other obvious option is to water cool it but if I chose that route, I would get a new, deeper case. So, with what I have, what would you do?

Thanks in advance.

rast4man

Distinguished
May 30, 2009
I did do the upgrade on the BIOS, that's what I do when I first fire up a new box. Both CPU's I have are STOCK. I feel there is no need to clock them especially until I can get the air cooling situation handled.

rast4man

Distinguished
May 30, 2009
To elaborate, the first hardware setup is up and functioning well. I have the other parts laying around so I'm trying to see if I can get the AMD 9850 cool enough (I'm in Florida, so it's getting damn hot here) to utilize. I'm not happy with my benchmarks at all.

I don't suppose a nice 45nm X3 720 is in the budget? Your board supports it.

I wouldn't expect your CPU to break 60C with a top cooler like that, even in an 80F room. If the thermal paste was applied correctly and the CPU voltage is what it should be, maybe you just have a bad CPU.

I can tell you that this is a great AMD option for a cooler, if you need a new one:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835207004&Tpk=CCTF

rast4man

Distinguished
May 30, 2009
Well considering that I was ready to buy a $400 case and full water cooling, I'd say that's in the budget. I will try it and if it doesn't work, I will then attribute it to a bad chip. Thanks for the tip and I'll report back as soon as I order it.