Sign in with
Your question

Sooo Slow - CPU 100%

Last response: in CPUs
September 2, 2009 11:32:34 AM

Hi All

Hoping someone can help as i am becoming lost in what to do next. Have a two year old Dell Inspiron - nothing fancy by any means - all was fine until about 3 months ago - now everything is running painfully slow and stops working after a while. CPU usage is 100%. I have restored to factory settings, removed all unneccessary progs (i think). Not sure what to do next. Appreciate any help that could be given. Want to stop some of the processes which i assume are causing but not sure what is safe to do and not as not very knowlegable regarding any of this. All i want to use in Microsoft Office and the internet....

Thanks

More about : sooo slow cpu 100

September 2, 2009 11:33:51 AM

Mant to add - is running Vista if has any bearing?
September 2, 2009 11:38:18 AM

What makes you think the CPU usage is at 100%, what is telling you that?

Go to the processes tab (CTRL+ALT+DELETE, Prcoesses), and click "Show processes from all users" then sort them by CPU usage and let us know which ones have high CPU utilization.

Related resources
a b à CPUs
September 2, 2009 11:38:44 AM

Download, Install and use PROCESS MONITOR This tool basically acts like your Task Manager, except on steroids. It will break down what process/program/driver is using what resources. Once that's identified, you can fix it.
September 2, 2009 11:46:11 AM

Thanks - will do so tonight and post what it shows.
September 3, 2009 3:11:21 PM

Thanks guys - all sorted now.
September 3, 2009 3:28:29 PM

seandublin said:
Thanks guys - all sorted now.

Woohoo! I'm glad everything worked out for you. Have a good one.
!